Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which perennial do you love too much?

Posted by rouge21 5b (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 7, 12 at 6:18

Is it just only me but when I have a good experience with a plant in my garden I then go out and buy too many for other areas of my garden. Of course there are so many wonderful perennials but I get fixated.

For example I really like (too much) persicaria Golden Arrow. It's light bright foliage looks so good in shady areas of a garden and by August its spiky red flowers are striking. And they last a very long time. And unlike some other persicaria they are well behaved and not too large.

By the time I saw how great this plant was it was late fall but I still went out and bought *2* more in October 2011 and one more this spring! (All are doing well in 2012)

So what is your Golden Arrow ie which perennial do you have on your brain?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which perennial do you love too much?

I love some too much but in a slightly different way: I should not keep Trollius in my garden because it is too windy/dry/sandy for them here(= frequent watering). But I just love them enough to keep them and baby them, which is not something I usually do.

o

IRIS! IRIS! IRIS................I love the TB ones.

Here is a link that might be useful: Iris

o

Aquawise, your Dream Lover and Beverly Sills look suspect to me.

o

catmint - I have it throughout my garden. I also like daisies and coneflowers and have them throughout as well.

o

Umbellifers - this class of plants have obssessed me for some time (just one of a long list of favoured plants of the moment including campanulas, primulas, old roses, geums and hardy geraniums). Chaerophyllum, ammi, orlaya, sesseli, anthriscus, astrantias, cenolophium - even parsnips and fennel, allowed to seed around. Sometimes these plant desires last for years (roses, campanulas,) while others are more fleeting(dierama, species gladioli) while some fall prey to boredom once grown and nurtured for a while, falling by the wayside, never to be bothered with again (sphaeralcea, bearded iris, brugmansias).

o

I'm fickle:

Liatris ligulistylis OR
eupatorium yuccifolium OR
eupatorium rugosum 'Chocolate' OR
persicaria polymorpha (non-invasive cultivar) OR
persicaria amplexicaulis 'Firetail'

With my largest garden being full sun, I'm always craving interesting foliage and bloom shapes.

Cameron

Here is a link that might be useful: my liatris ligulistylis and a visitor last year

o

Butterfly bush (Buddleia.) I don't know why but I never feel like there are enough of them in the yard.

Roses!

o

purpleinopp I too like 'buddleia' but the spectacular larger varieties take up so much space which is an issue for me with a smaller residential garden. Having said this I did plant just a few weeks back a single 'Flutterby Petite Blue Heaven' butterfly bush.

o

My first thought was apricot roses, but since they all die on me and I've pretty much given up on roses, I've showed remarkable restraint and haven't bought any lately. (Pink roses are a close second, but again, I've been good.)

I guess I'd say hostas. Variegated hostas, to be specific. I would buy at least one of each if I could.

My garden is an extension of my life. My husband once said to me, while I was looking for a dress for an event, "do you really need another black dress?". The answer was yes, as it is to the question "do you really need another variegated hosta?"

Dee

o

diggerdee wrote: My husband once said to me, while I was looking for a dress for an event, "do you really need another black dress?". The answer was yes, as it is to the question "do you really need another variegated hosta?"

Dee, that has to rank as one of the best 'lines' posted in this forum this year!

o

I like any herbal and/or medicinal plants, or other plants that have history, mythology or other stories based on them.

Yes, I like Hosta but the deer seem to like them better. Another advantage to the aromatic herbs is that deer hate them.

Yes, I really like Buddleias too. Have an informal hedge that I do not cut back so the are quite tall, and I like their silver-blue leaf color (evergreen here) as much as the flowers, speaking of which, have started to bloom.

too.

o

Daylilies. I have at least 100 kinds, most of which need to be divided, and I've run out of room. But I've already bought 3 or 4 new ones this year (and probably 25 or 30 other perennials, too).

o

Lol...purpleinopp I'm with you on the butterfly bushes. At the moment, I think I have about 110 of them. A few didn't make it from the batch I bought this year as bare root, so I'm not 100% sure how many I have now. Luckily I'm more rural so I have room for them as hedges.

Also, I can't seem to stop getting more Hosta, and can't seem to turn down free or inexpensive "daisy like" flowers of any type (daisies, coneflower, black eye susans, etc). I should also stop getting more columbine.

o

110 BB?? I dont believe you ;). I would love to see pictures of such a hedge.

o

Well right now it's not exactly impressive, most are about 6-8" high. I bought 100 bare root rooted cuttings from the county soil and water district this spring. I looked last night and found 4 in one hedge row that didn't make it, but I think that was it. I already had 14 in different places that we planted last year, so I was right on with the 110 guess! I have two cuttings from one that we planted last year in water to root right now (one branch was growing out at a weird angle and getting into my rose nearby), I *think* it's a ruby red but I can't remember. I don't know what color the county ones are, I am betting on purple though (they just list them as "Buddleia"). I know I do have a ruby red, as well as bicolor, black knight and some blue chip. This year I'm tagging them somehow, and eventually I'll make a garden map, once I'm done creating the beds and moving stuff around, lol.

I am going to be doing a LOT of deadheading once those hedges come in!

o

It's not so much that I plant multiples of plants I adore (I don't really have the space), but some plants get babied a lot more than others.

So...

I normally don't water plants. My attitude is deal with whatever Mother Nature is dlivering. My astilbe does not get that treatment. Last August it was extremely hot and dry. During the worst of it, I watered my astilbe every single day (and I'm talking a half gallon of water, slowly poured into the base).

Penstemon. Man, I love penstemon. But I have clay soil. So to plant them, I literally dug out a huge hole, threw a hadful of river stone in the bottom of the planting hole and then mixed the clay with half again as much sand. I then mulched with more river rock. Pretty back breaking all in all.

But my Penstemon Red Riding Hood has come back two years in a row, more gorgeous and full each year. Have a picture!

o

Nothing wrong with spending extra care and attention with the plants you love "too much" but for me I plant too many of them in one season.

That is a superb picture a2zmom.

I planted my first couple of Penstemon ('Sweet Joanne') late last fall after seeing some glowing reviews of this plant on GW. It is just this week that one of them has started to bloom.

o

Sweet Joanne looks to be a real beauty. I'd love to see a pic when it's in its full glory.

o

Until mine are photo ready I know that frequent GW poster echinaceamaniac has some superb flowering 'Sweet Joanne'.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here