Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellenr22

cherry hirta rudbeckia - pic

Here you can see my cherry hirta rudbeckia of last year.

The one I got this year from Santa Rosa doesn't look anything like this in color.

Comments (7)

• southerngardening24
    9 years ago

no advice but wanted to say your garden looks beautiful!

• Glen4sure
    9 years ago

Gorgeous. Did you purchase the plant or seeds and where?

• terrene
    9 years ago

Wow, Ellen, that is a nice Rudbeckia and your garden looks pretty too. I've tried wsing 'Cherry Brandy' a couple times, haven't had any luck growing those, although my 'Indian Summer' does pretty well each year.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    9 years ago

Your garden looks great! I've grown a few of the cherry brandies and they show a lot of variation. Some are nice and red, others go towards beige and khaki. I think it's just the nature of the strain. I'm sure in a couple more years there will be a better version because it's a nice new color and I'm sure there are plenty of people working out the faults.

• ellenr22 - NJ - Zone 6b/7a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thank you!
    The rudbeckia, also the gaillardia next to it, were bought as plants at a nursery in Monroe County, NJ, called Pops. When it didn't make it thru the winter, I wanted to get another one, but couldn't remember the name of the nursery. So a friend and I drove all over Monroe County until I recognized Pops. And they didn't have any!

that's when I decided to mail-order one. but as I said in another post, the one I got was not a very attractive color. Now I've learned, as Kato says, that it is a matter of the strain.

I wish the place I ordered from Santa Rosa Gardens, had said, "This may or may not come out to be the color in the picture." Then I wouldn't have been so disappointed. They did say they would give me a refund, altho I didn't ask for one, which proves that, as posters have said, they are a reputable business.

• river_crossroads z8b Central Louisiana
    9 years ago

How disappointing, ellen. I realize that you have been misled, put through frustration and had to waste your time and energy. Personally I'd take the refund. Usually companies let you keep the plants b/c they don't want to pay shipping back. So even tho' itâÂÂs NOT what you want you would have something for this yr.

I googled to see what it looked like and ran into seeds on sale for $2.00 at Select Seeds, where I have never bought but admired pics and have read positive comments from gw posters. Don't know how much shipping costs. But I might buy seeds on sale now to plant next yr. The refund from Santa Rosa should pay for a good quantity of seeds so at least you would not be out the money, only your time, effort and frustration, esp if the seeds produce color variation! Select Seeds sells the plant as well but it is sold out - you don't want it anyway!

Select Seeds - cherry hirta rudbeckia on sale - $2.00 for 51 seeds

• ellenr22 - NJ - Zone 6b/7a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks for the link River. Yes I will sow seeds next year. And I'll be prepared - that it may or may not come true to color. Hope they improve the variety so that it will come true. Because it is a beautiful plant.

Lowe's had had the Cherry Hirta in a beautiful color, unfortunately I didn't buy it, went back for it, and they were sold out. They also had red Gaillardia, which I also like, and did buy.

Hope this means that in the future Lowe's will expand beyond the Usual common perenniels.

Here is a link that might be useful: Red Gaillardia

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz