Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kato_b

Santa Rosa Gardens

katob Z6ish, NE Pa
10 years ago

SRG has their clearance sale going on, I meant to post yesterday when it started. Last year I went overboard and because of that I'm fighting the urge to get a few things..... but I figured why not make a few other people feel my pain.

*warning* don't look at their site if you "might need" a few echinacea, they still have several. Also a couple heuchera left and I was eyeing some agastache and a hellebore. Most clearance stuff is $2.99.

Here is a link that might be useful: Santa Rosa Gardens

Comments (22)

• gardenweed_z6a
    10 years ago

Good (?) of you to post that link. I OD'd on SRG the past couple of years and am now happy to report my beds are full and I need nothing from them at this point. Overall I'd say what they sent, even on clearance, ended up being some of the healthiest, most robust specimens in my garden. In particular, the Hellebores/Lenten roses have quadrupled in size since being planted and I expect will bloom next spring. Hands down they are the best mail order garden experience I've ever had altho' Bluestone once held that honor. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them if asked.

Thanks to winter sowing and the GW Seed Exchange, I won't *need* any more Echinacea for the remainder of my gardening life.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just trying to be helpful ;)
    I was on the fence until today. A local greenhouse went into 33% off mode and I have more than enough new things that need homes and planting, so no new SRG plants this year.
    My stuff from other years is also doing great. The only reason I lost anything was due to my own stupidity. After three months of repeated drying out in a four inch pot one of the bamboos died.... I noticed a second one not doing so great today. I guess after almost a year in its little pot it really deserves a permanent home.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    10 years ago

Well, I just placed an order. I've never ordered from them before, but at those prices and with the good things I've heard about them, how could I not? Thanks!

:)
    Dee

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    10 years ago

Enabler! I placed my order, too. Who wouldn't go for 2.99 each and flat rate 7.99 shipping? Wow, just wow.

• gardenweed_z6a
    10 years ago

Dee - I'll be interested in your feedback about SRG. Please let us know what your reaction is when you open the box/package upon arrival. I'd like to continue recommending them but since my own beds are now full, have no need to order anything.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    10 years ago

I'll be sure to let you know!

Dee

• docmom_gw
    10 years ago

You guys are so bad for me. But, I did get a bunch of stuff I've been denying myself but really wanting. Like several heucheras and some Japanese Painted Ferns. I'm building up my new shady yard, and I've been trying to be patient and grow from seed or get divisions from friends and neighbors. This will put me way ahead in getting more diversity established. Now I just have to find time to plant them all out. I guess I know what to do when my kids complain that they're bored now that school is done for the summer.

Martha

• gardenweed_z6a
    10 years ago

Hey Martha - what are gardening friends for but to enable other gardeners who haven't yet satisfied their garden goals? At least you can be confident none of us will steer you wrong when it comes to garden resources. If you haven't already, check out Tricyrtis/toad lily for really late-season (October for me) blooms in shade. The bees love them & I get a kick out of watching the bumbles feed from the bottoms of the blooms. I have them planted near Cimicifuga racemosa/black snakeroot in my full shade bed along with Brunnera macrophylla/Siberian bugloss, astilbe, Alchemilla mollis/Lady's Mantle, Virginia bluebells & Aquilegia/Columbine.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    10 years ago

Darn, just got an email - my stuff won't be shipped till the week of June 24th. Seems a bit late, but I guess I don't have much choice. They said I could "reschedule" but also said they are full-up till then, so sounds like I can only go later??

Eh, who am I kidding? It's not like they would have gotten planted out right away anyway. They'll probably live in pots in my garage for two years like everything else. It's just that once I place an order, I want it now!

Dee

10 years ago

Dee, I got the same email. Waaaaahhhhh! I like mine as soon as I order it, too. Looks like we are playing the waiting game on these orders.

• docmom_gw
    10 years ago

I got the same message. That's OK. I still have winter sown seedlings that need to get into the ground. Amazingly, I'm running out of planting space. Only because I've filled in with annuals while I wait for perennials to grow up. I'm growing a ton of zinnias for the butterflies and for bouquets in the house and at work. I saved seeds last year, so I have a ton.

(Still, I think this is easily the largest plant purchase I've ever made! I'm so thrilled!)

Martha

• docmom_gw
    10 years ago

So, have you received your orders? I've been working hard to get all my wintersown plants into the ground, so when my order arrives I'll have time to open it immediately and water and plant everything. I've not rechecked my order since I placed it, so I don't remember what I ordered. It will be like a new birthday gift from myself! LOL! Can't wait!

Martha

10 years ago

Nope, but I did get the message that they don't have several plants that I ordered. That really irritates me, as there were plenty of them listed in number when I ordered. It makes me think that they put other orders in front of mine, which took up the last of the plants, leaving me holding the bag and only the bag! I placed a separate order after my original one and got it immediately because it was 16 of just one plant. I'll bet if someone else had a complicated order in front of me, they got passed on to the end of the month, too and are probably getting that same email that says sorry, we are out of your plant. If my theory is right, then I really don't like that. It should be first come, first serve, not the simplicity of the order.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    10 years ago

I got an email saying my order shipped.... great - during a week of 90-degree days. Oh well. Looking forward to it (although I had to go back and check what I ordered, lol. I had forgotten!)

Dee

• casey1gw
    10 years ago

My order showed up last Thursday and everything looked absolutely wonderful. Of course now that we're in a heat wave, I have to water twice a day.

Hedy

• trovesoftrilliums
    10 years ago

My plants are also being shipped this week. I am trying to make sure I have room for them all. I ended up with a few heuchera...even after the "done with heuchera" posts.

I was wondering about the out if stock issue as one heuchera and one coreopsis ended up being out of stock. The only reason I thought it was odd though was because they list the exact number of plsnts available as you order.

Looking forward to them arriving.

• docmom_gw
    10 years ago

My order shipped the 24th, which is when they predicted it would be shipped originally. Mine was quite a complicated order, also, with twenty or more different plants. I told my husband that I'm not allowed to eat any ice cream until all of those plants are in the ground. That will guarantee me getting some serious work done.

Martha

10 years ago

LOL, Martha, love the ice cream bit! My order is supposed to arrive tomorrow, minus my Hosta Vulcan, Great Expectations and Heuchera Venus. Oh, well, lots more coming instead, so I'll be happy anyway. Can't wait to see them!

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    10 years ago

I got my order today. I'm not overly thrilled with it, but it could be (and most likely is) due to the 90 degree days we've been having. Not really a good time to ship plants, I guess. Hopefully they will recover. Otherwise, plants were a decent size and well packed.

Dee

• Ispahan Zone6a Chicago
    10 years ago

I received my order from them yesterday, for 18 Geranium 'Rozanne'. They were huge and lovely, at least as large or larger than Bluestone and other mail order sources. Best part is, on top of the low end of season prices I was able to apply coupons for an extra 10% off plus another $5 off plus cash in my reward points. All total, each of these plants ended up costing a little over $2 each with shipping factored in! Who wouldn't love that!?

I have received a lot of excellent sedums and ornamental grasses from this company over the past two years. I highly recommend them!

10 years ago

Got my order today. Everything looked good and it was a BIG order except for the Rudbeckia Goldsturm and they were small and really trimmed and some of the leaves were mushy from travelling wet. Kind of holy, too, looks like something has been munching on them. I think they will recover, but could have been a little healthier on those. Otherwise, though, a great order and certainly can't beat the prices, regardless! I would definitely order from them again.

• trovesoftrilliums
    10 years ago

Mine came yesterday and most if the plants looked excellent. The coreopsis look the worse but still ok--comparable to local plants on summer sales but more interesting choices.