Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Geranium 'Dragon Heart'

Posted by ispahan 6a Chicago (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 9, 14 at 7:43

For several years, I have hesitated to plant Geranium 'Dragon Heart' since I have miserable luck with most descendants of Geranium psilostemon. 'Patricia', 'Anne Thomson', 'Ann Folkard', 'Sandrine' and G. psilostemon have all promptly died for me, never even managing to bloom before they unceremoniously keeled over. Only 'Tiny Monster' has thrived for me, no doubt due to its very strong G. sanguineum influence.

But this year I took a chance on 'Dragon Heart', a seedling of the pathetic (in my climate) 'Anne Thomson'. I planted three of them this spring and, so far, they have been stellar, already stretching out vigorous, weaving branches and forming flower buds. The first blooms opened this weekend and they are HUGE and a striking, velvety, deep magenta-red color that is perfect for my garden.

Anyone else growing this plant? Any comments on winter hardiness, heat tolerance and other quirks will be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Geranium 'Dragon Heart'

Mine was planted a couple of years ago (in part shade). It is still alive and growing, but not overly vigorous so far. I will give it more time. I also have two plants of 'Sabani" which have been more vigorous for me.

o

Thanks, ontnative! Mine are in full sun in newly amended soil, so I hope that will be enough for the plants to maintain vigor. Your comment does make me concerned, though, that it might lack vigor in cold winter climates. Time will tell. 'Sabani Blue' looks like it is a nice one! :-)

o

It is a smasher, isn't it? I also have Red Admiral, an even taller version. Cannot recall whether it sets seeds (Red Admiral must because I have half a dozen of them) but I think it will divide rather well (unlike Rozanne, which took a few years before I could get the spade and saw out). The Orkney Islands are practically in the arctic circle (not really, but it feel like it) so I think anything out of Alan Bremner's breeding programme should have good vigour (I am looking at Storm Chaser and Extravaganza this year). Shame Patricia was a bit of a duffer - it has been a good performer for me.

o

Now I'm going to have to look for that one. And I remembered why I was so fascinated with the garden I saw that was a collection of Cranesbills. Because they grow well in part sun. Which is what I have a lot of. Great…a new little collection may be developing. :-)

o

Could you please post a picture? I would love to see these geraniums. I have my white alba in full sun along with Max Frei.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here