Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rouge21_gw

I won't dig you up Loosestrife

I know it is a rampant spreader but in an appropriate location it can be contained and it is worth it as it provides wonderful yellow this time of year on an unique flower.

Here is mine today:

Comments (16)

• docmom_gw
    9 years ago

Just, please, cut it back as soon as the blooms begin to fade, so it doesn't go to seed. Enjoy, but enjoy responsibly. Thanks,

Martha

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Martha, I know it spreads by rhizome and I have it as part of a "medallion garden" surrounded completely by interlock so that keeps it in check. (I had never heard about any self seeding for this plant).

• lilsprout
    9 years ago

I have the variegated that has spread considerably. I have room for it in one bed, so I just let it go. The other I just ripped out some as it was getting alittle to close to the edge of bed lol.

A dear friend gave me the original so no, I won't dig mine up either ;0)

• sunnyborders
    9 years ago

For mixed perennial beds, I find the best way to use yellow loosestrife is not use a lot and keep on top of what you have.

I've kept one clump planted in 2000. It always spreads vigorously as it races to the front of the bed (to the light).

Initially it was planted in a container, but it just came over the top.

Now I simply pull most of the clump out when it's bloomed.

Like Rouge, I've not seen yellow loosestrife seed in our location/zone.

• sunnyborders
    9 years ago

As often with variegated perennials, the variegated form is not as vigorous as the regular form.

Another advantage of variegated perennials!

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    9 years ago

I rather like it too. Surprising, since I am not a "yellow person". Lol.

I started out with a variegated 'Golden Alexander', but it reverted terribly- now I only have green. I put it in a difficult area (under some trees, doesn't get frequent water) to keep it in check some.

-lilsprout, does yours burn at all? My GA used to burn around the edges a lot.
    CMK

• a2zmom_Z6_NJ
    9 years ago

How difficult is it to dig up? i have a yellow and orange bed and I might put some of the varigated in next year.

• sunnyborders
    9 years ago

For my beds (I work towards loose soil), easy to pull out.

Minimal use of spade/trowel.
    Yellow loosestrife is shallow rooted.
    Extremely unlike purple loosestrife, if you're digging that out.

• rusty_blackhaw
    9 years ago

Martha probably has confused Lysimachia with Lythrum.

Lysimachias typically are locally spreading annoyances in the garden, not seed-spreading environmentally waste-laying planet killers.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    9 years ago

Yes, I do believe it is the purple loosestrife (Lythrum) that is the horribly invasive.

Here is a link that might be useful: Purple loosetrife

• wayne_z5_ia
    9 years ago

I'm always surprised by the controversy over the invasiveness of the yellow loosestrife [lysimachia] and the purple loosestrife [lythrum]. I've had them both for several years. The yellow is in two clumps and the main clump has spread only 2 ft or so, with no seeding. I actually like the spreading habit and it is one of my favorite flowers. The purple has never spread and doesn't seed fpr me. I divided it a few years back and it has never completely recovered. Again, it is one of my favorites as I like the color so much.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    9 years ago

There is no controversy regarding classification of Lythrum as an invasive: It *is* classified as such in many states.

Here is a link that might be useful: USDA

• flowergirl70ks
    9 years ago

I have a clump of lythrum in my garden that is so old I couldn't even guess when it was planted. I have certainly never had to worry about it spreading. This year I'm concerned that the rabbits will kill it. they have eaten half of it to the ground. They are also busy on a hollyhock, every time it makes a leaf they eat it. They come in at nite so I haven't had a shot at it yet.

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I was going through some pictures I had taken earlier in the season and this combo caught my eye (taken June 29).

(I think the clematis is "Still Waters")

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    9 years ago

Rouge you've given me an idea :). This yellow loosestrife has crawled under the fence from my neighbour's garden. It's right on the edge of a gravel path between two stored blue water barrels. I've left it because I like the splash of colour, and it hides that bit of fence. I usually cut it back right after flowering but after seeing yours with the clematis... I have a C. durandii I have to move later on, the wheels are turning LOL.

Annette

• User
    9 years ago

Mmm, I have just returned from my trip to Scotland clutching a couple of liberated lysimachia ciliata (Fireworks?). I have had neither the space not the inclination for these slightly oafish plants....but having (a lot) of space (and no money) has trumped all previous (sensible) thoughts in favour of the easy, enthusiastic and tough commoners which are reasonably profligate with seeds without committing some environmental crime by planting a notorious thug. In other words, foxgloves, hesperis and the like. I also have a couple of mimulus (guttatus, I think) and astilbes (but suspect the woods are a tad too dry for these....but as freebies, we must try...
    I would also be inclined to grow goldenrod (lysimachia aureum) and have got seeds for lysimachia ephemerum.