Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jayco_gw

Rudbeckia 'Herbstsonne'

jayco
10 years ago

I got a couple of these from a plant swap. I grabbed them since I liked the dark green cut foliage, but when I got home I read how large they get. Do they really get to be 5+ feet tall in your garden? And do you like them/ where have you put them/ any advice? Thanks for input.

Comments (9)

• peony05
    10 years ago

Yes this plant get really tall over 5 feet for sure.

• jayco
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks! How do you like it?

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    10 years ago

Mine hasn't gotten over 4 ft for years because the deer keep it much smaller. It seems to be a true favorite. Since I wanted it for a large bed, to be with other large plants, the stunting is not something I'm at all happy about. The first year, when it grew to about 6 ft or so, I liked it a great deal.

• peony05
    10 years ago

I like the plant. Planted two years ago. Now it is slowly spreading. It might need a staking as it may bend during heavy rain and wind. That is why I planted it near our boarder fence so I can place a snug to prevent it from bending.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    10 years ago

Mine gets to be at least 7-8 ft tall. I started cutting it back early summer and it gets to about 6' doing that and still flowers nicely. The birds love it which is great, however, it is now everywhere in the borders. Spreading by seed and it runs. It's growing through shrubs and it is very hard to get out once they have established themselves. For that, I have a love/hate relationship with this plant. If you have space for it to take over, then it's a great plant. But if it really likes where it is, it will certainly try to take over other plants so beware when planting this one.

• User
    10 years ago

Ha yes, I also have a Herbstonne jungle, easily 7feet tall and growing widthwards almost daily. Fortunately, it is largely constrained by being at the back of the border with equally ferocious asters in front of it - I no longer intervene between these 2 - just leave them to beat each other into submission.

• molie
    10 years ago

Love it but it does need lots of room and full sun. My two are grown along a 4 foot fence. This photo shows its height and growth habits (7 feet and mostly straight up). Not the best picture but gives a good idea of its + and - qualities.

It's a very prolific and blooms over a long period, but you can see that most of the color is at the top third of the plant. That makes it more of a back ground plant. As fall progresses, the seed heads turn brown and get heavy. I cut them back to encourage more blooms. Not easy, I should add, since I'm vertically challenged!

The stems are tough, thick and long, and Herbie tends to fall over onto his shorter neighbors as the season progresses. You can see that the one on the right is starting to "lean". In time some of these long, heavy branches will be on the ground. This gets much more pronounced as the stalks themselves get heavier with buds and seed heads.

Nothing much bothers Herbie in my yard. It doesn't spread as others have cautioned. I think its growth habit depends on where it's planted. My long garden is very wide, slopes down to the river and is in full sun. This plant doesn't get stressed out by heat and dryness, but Herb is on an irrigation system.

{{gwi:232985}}

• jayco
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, it's huge! Thanks for all the helpful comments and pictures. Good thing I asked, I was thinking it would be a few feet high like my regular Rudbeckia, but clearly this is a different beast altogether.

It is pretty, though!

• wieslaw59
    10 years ago

It has never produced a runner here. It is a real clumper.

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH