Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Loropetalum 'Purple Pixie' - how tall/wide does it get?

Posted by growitnow (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 15, 10 at 8:49

Hi,

I want to fill an area near a perennial bed that is about 5ftx3ft with a low growing "red/purple" something. The written description of Loropetalum Purple Pixie suggests

1-2ft tall and 4-5ft wide.

Is this accurate? Once it grows in a bit, does it have a "full" appearance or is it scraggy/branchy. The area is right next to our porch so it would seen frequently and up close.

thanks
zone 7, virginia

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Loropetalum 'Purple Pixie' - how tall/wide does it get?

grow, seems you have a few posts ! do add your zone and location to your i.d. moniker, through your member pg.
it's such critical info for those wanting to learn or teach! how i wish this plant were hardy for us up here!
best,
mindy
www.cottonarboretum.com/

o

Mindy,

Thank you, I have done that (or so I think!). I always try to leave zone and state in post, as was the case here, though I added this to stat. I have learned much from the generosity of folk on these boards :)

cheers,
growitnow

o

Hi growitnow,

Those dimensions are accurate. I think you will find that Purple Pixie grows in quite full and will stay at about 2 feet tall when mature. It really is a unique loropetalum. Some grow so large they'll swallow your house!

You can find more care/planting tips for Purple Pixie at SouthernLivingPlants.com

Do let us know if you have questions!

Emily

Here is a link that might be useful: Purple Pixie Care Tips

o

We're all depending on SLP for information, since Pixie is too new to the market for anyone (at least in my area) to have first hand experience with its eventual dimensions. I have about a half dozen planted around my yard and I really do love them, not only for their size, but also because they hold their color in the summer sun better than any other loropetalum I have grown. They do not seem to grow as quickly as the larger varieties, but in the end, that should be a good thing too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here