Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shadeyplace

wisteria GONE

shadeyplace
9 years ago

I just ripped/cut pulled out my 30 year old wisteria off a large arbor...too much maintenance and it bloomed three blooms in the past 30 years. arrrrgh I would like to put a vine of some sort in it's place that is more maintenance free>>74 years old and can't do that much anymore. !!
not climbing Hydrangea

Comments (11)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    9 years ago

Akebia quinata can be a bit on the rambunctious side but not as much work as a Wisteria. I'm 76 and have no trouble keeping mine in line. Chocolate scented flowers in May and pretty foliage.

Annette

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

Some of the larger clematis would work if you gave them welded wire or a trellis to climb. Clematis montana varieties bloom in spring and are lightly scented and are certainly large enough. Clematis virginiana grows wild in several places on my property and is able to get up into small trees but aren't heavy enough to do damage.

If you do a search on Clematis on the Web, they have categories for 4-5 meters, 5-7 meters, and 7+ meters if you want them large enough to grow across the top, and if you are happy with ones that are shorter you will have even more choices. While many of the clematis listed aren't readily available, many of them like Paul Farges, Lambton Park, and the C. montanas are. There are also quite a number of hybrids like 'Tie Dye', 'Ernest Markham', 'Ville de Lyon', and 'Galore' that I have seen listed at many nurseries. Many of them you would have to get mail order and would plant early this fall, but that would give you time to do in any wisteria sprouts that try to regrow. Scarlet runner beans could fill in for this summer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Clematis on the Web search page

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    9 years ago

Not the best of pictures but... Here's a picture of Clematis 'Montana wilsonii' covering my lathhouse, One plant planted on the right hand corner post back in the late 80's, it has been cut down and rolled off the lathed roof once around 2000, it quickly covered it again. Nice scent of chocolate.
    Annette

• Campanula UK Z8
    9 years ago

nice and lush looking, AfterMidnight.

• shadeyplace
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions. I did have C Montana at one time and it climbed up a tulip poplar on old ivy stems. the ivy stems finally "blew" off and with it the clematis. I did love it. Never tried akebia but that sounds interesting. many thanks!!

• TexasRanger10
    9 years ago

I recommend Lonicera sempervirens (Native trumpet honeysuckle). Its got blueish round leaves with lots of pink flowers and is well behaved unlike the more common aggressive kind with white and yellow flowers, I believe that one is imported from Japan.

• shadeyplace
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I do not have much sun...think that needs a lot

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

I would be wary of the Akbia if you are on the East Coast. It is starting to escape and gone wild in PA.My sisters and I (Absentee landlords of some land my mother gave us) had a hellacious time of it . It was all over the trees

• shadeyplace
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OOO thanks so much..the last thing I need.

• TexasRanger10
    9 years ago

I just stumbled across a vine that will take shade in the Bustani catalog. Its called Spurred Butterfly Pea. Centrosema virginianum. 5' to 8' native perennial zone 5 to 10. I'd never heard of it before.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

I have been wanting this one for awhile. I need to find some seeds. Too bad Bustani stopped internet salesâ¦.. I need another plant like a hole in the head.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?