Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cutting back Columbine

Posted by happygardener_2006 RI.5 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 14, 11 at 9:04

Have had great large columbines for years and never did anything to them after blooming except to harvest seed.

Started a woodland garden 3 years ago with lots of columbine. They are huge and crowding out other plants.

Can I cut them back, if so how far. I love them and don't want to lose them. Have transplanted some still in bloom, but they are so big I'm afraid of injuring the taproot.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cutting back Columbine

I don't know if this will solve your problem, but many gardeners cut them back after bloom, nearly to the ground. They send up fresh leaves that usually look better than the weather beaten ones from the winter. That clump is more compact too, so maybe your other plants will have more light. Sounds beautiful: a woodland garden with lots of huge columbines!

Hepatica

o

• Posted by ditas Z 4b-5 Iowa (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 14, 11 at 21:51

i don't think you'll ever really get rid of them. I keep them around as they provide the colors & like Faerie ballerinas decorate the surround while waiting for the flashy bloomers to put on their show!

I do cut most of them severely back after blooms are winding down ~ some to the ground to send back their lovely foliage, that I love, around where I allow them! Dead heading can be tedious!

o

I don't hesitate to cut mine back to the ground. Within a couple of weeks they have regrown with fresh new foliage. (I'm guessing that in zone 5 they are a dieback plant in the winter as they are in zone 4.)

o

• Posted by pippi21 Zone 6b Silver Sprin (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 15, 11 at 3:43

Believe me, they'll come back next year. I plan to cut mine back next week. I've just started gathering the seeds two days ago. There's one variety that I can't find the seeds..clementine variety.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here