Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellenr22

? re gold yarrow

I bought one in bloom, about a month ago, and planted it. After a couple of weeks, all the blooms were dead, so I cut them off.
Doesn't look like any new blooms are on the way.
I don't mind, I'm building a perennial garden for next year.
Do you think the plant is still alive and well?
The foliage looks ok, it doesn't look great, but it is green.

thanks.

Comments (8)

• User
    9 years ago

Did you replant into the garden? If so, the plant is putting all its efforts into growing a good root system as well as dealing with a bit of transplant shock, hence the delay in new blooms (because it will keep throwing out more flowering heads if it loses its first flush). make sure you deep-water once a week and maybe add a little bonemeal as a light top-dressing.

Which one is it, by the way? Achillea taygetea Moonshine (can be tricky) or the taller A.filipendulina Coronation Gold or Cloth of Gold? Or another altogether?

• ellenr22 - NJ - Zone 6b/7a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks!
    I lost the tag. I don't know which one it is.
    I hope it isn't a tricky one.
    It still hasn't but up any buds, but it is alive.

• ryseryse_2004
    9 years ago

Moonshine has grey foliage and doesn't spread all over the place. I also have Coronation Gold and have to put sticks with twine around it before it gets tall so it won't flop.

• lilsprout
    9 years ago

Ughh I hope for your sake it's not the spreader.

Former owners let theirs go and it is all throughout my lawn!

• TexasRanger10
    9 years ago

Thanks for the tip Ryse. I plan to pick up a couple at the big plant sale Friday and was wondering which kind would be best. Grey foliage is a big temptation to me especially against the light yellow of the Moonshine but I'd been looking at both those online.

There was a really nice one that was growing up the street in this guy's garden in a hot spot but it looks like it didn't winter over, rather surprising. Are they short lived?

• splitrock
    9 years ago

I have the moonshine fern leaf yarrow and much prefer it to Coronation Gold for the pale yellow, but not washed out, color of the blooms and the overall appearance of the plant. Unfortunately it does not like heat with humidity, so it probably will not persist in sultry climates. The gold ones are a better choice there.

• aseedisapromise
    9 years ago

I think that the yarrows are not short lived as long as they get divided and moved around periodically. At least I had some Moonshine for ten plus years and also Summer Pastels for almost that long. Occasionally the Moonshine would reseed, and sometimes I would replace the older plant if it got ratty looking with a newer one. I never noticed Summer Pastels seedlings, but had plenty of it from division. Also you can peg down the side growth of Moonshine and get new plants that way.

Having said that, I don't know how they do in warmer, possibly more humid areas. What splitrock says is good to know. I am hoping the OP will give his/her plant a bit more water this first year while it gets established than it will need in subsequent years. I am finding I need to water the Strawberry Seduction yarrow that I planted here this year, even though we have had some good rain.

• a2zmom_Z6_NJ
    9 years ago

I have a Coronation Gold that's been growing in amended clay for 10 years. I'll divide it this year (it really needs it) but it's certainly a sturdy plant. And it's never seeded for rme.

In 2011 I planted Red Vevel and Terra Cotta; both are going strong. Terra Cotta has seeded a litle for me. It also is a sprawler but that might be because the soil it's growing in is rather rich. Yarrows perfer a lean soil.

Last year, I planted a Pommegranite which was absolutely gorgeous. Sadly, this awful winter killed it so it got replaced with Cerise Queen this year.

I love yarrow. I think the feathery leaves and flat flower heads make a great contrast to other plants.