Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kato_b

Santa Rosa summer sale

I didn't think I had a heuchera problem, apparently I do and have finally cracked.

Winter was tough and I really tried to be good, spring came and by avoiding garden center visits I was able to focus on taking care of what I already have, but the clearance sales finally wore me down. I have a mess of gifted plants filling the ghetto and a couple of trays of seedlings that need planting out and now I have a good sized order coming my way from Santa Rosa. When I do things like this my first thought is to ease the guilt by bringing others over to the dark side. I don't think it will be too hard..... all I'm doing is adding a link and as you all know it never hurts to look.... right?

heucheras, red hot pokers, coreopsis, a couple miscanthus.... and a fancy hybrid pitcher plant. Who even knew I needed a carnivorous plant for a bog that I don't even have? Apparently I'll be googling 'growing bog plants in containers' within the next couple minutes, either that or I'll be looking into building a bog garden. I wonder where I would put a bog garden? hmmmmm now that's another idea, but I'd need more plants if that's the case.

Go ahead. click the link :)

Here is a link that might be useful: just to look of course

Comments (30)

• Nevermore44 - 6a
    9 years ago

$5 shipping on $20 orders... can't beat that.... plus you can get decent coupons for more off.

Couldn't resist... I just ordered 8 plants for $20 (plus $5 shipping).

• gardenweed_z6a
    9 years ago

Ditto nevermore44. Like I need more perennials but those colorful heuchera/coral bells just sang me a siren's song. I already have a fair number and earlier this year succumbed to the strawberry/pink 'Galaxy' to the tune of x4 to add contrast with the 'Palace Purple' in my mostly shade bed. I justified spending the $$ by recalling the past few years of crazed winter sowing that added hundreds of new perennials to my garden beds for just the cost of potting mix.

So I'm way ahead of kato_b and have two orders coming next week from SRG. You can't beat their prices, shipping charges and their packaging is the best I've ever seen.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    9 years ago

kato - When I had an obsession with saracennia (pitcher plants), I grew them in a large - pot, bog garden. It's really the easiest route to take if you don't want to go to all the time, effort and expense of installing a real bog garden. You can't leave the plants outside for winter this way, but if you only have 1 or a few, it isn't a big deal to store them in a cold place inside for winter. Luckily I have a cold basement,but you can also unpot them, put them in a ziplock bag and store in the refrigerator for winter. They are cool plants.

Kevin

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I feel better already.
    Just the fact that I have only one order coming and not two makes me feel absolutely frugal.

I reluctantly accepted a couple heucheras last year from a friend and after ignoring them on the back steps for a few weeks I finally planted them. They did well here which was not the case in my last garden and took more sun than I thought they would.... so why not add just a few more?

• StellaMarie
    9 years ago

I became possessed by the idea that the plants I want would disappear (and a Hakonechloa and a Heuchera did while I was trying to order) and placed a huge order.

There went my plan to slowly learn my new house's landscaping. And now I really have to clear out some yucky areas for my new perennials. And plan my perennial beds.

Really not well thought out. But I got some good stuff and I'm excited!! :)

This post was edited by StellaMarie on Thu, Jun 12, 14 at 13:15

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    9 years ago

Curse you! Curse you Kato!! LOL! I thought I was safe. I thought I was strong. I deleted the email from my inbox without ever even opening it. And now you give me a LINK? Aaaggghhhh!

Must... not.... click...

Dee

• lilsprout
    9 years ago

Lol Dee!

I opened it...

But I will refrain I will refrain I will!!

• ryseryse_2004
    9 years ago

I can't say enough good stuff about Santa Rosa! Whether you buy on sale or full price, you get super healthy plants that are well-packaged. Never a complaint here!

• southerngardening24
    9 years ago

thank you for posting. I am on their website now but can not find info on the pot sizes of their plants.

• carnealy
    9 years ago

I am a new huge fan of Santa Rosa Gardens. This sale is amazing. Southerngardening24, the pot size information is at http://www.santarosagardens.com/help_answer.asp?ID=19.

It says...
    "At Santa Rosa Gardens, we offer large, healthy, rooted plants, ready to transition into your garden. We do not ship small liner sizes or bare-root material like many other mail-order suppliers. Most of our plants are grown in 3.5 x 3.5" square pots, with a full 16 ounces of soil volume (as pictured on right and left). Sempervivum and succulents with shallow root systems are sold in 2 or 2.5" cactus pots (as pictured in the center). Some plants that prefer a deeper root system are grown in 3" round x 4" deep pots."

Here is a link that might be useful: Santa Rosa Gardens Pot Size Info

• southerngardening24
    9 years ago

thank you for the info mmm...fruit! I just ordered 7 heucheras and 1 salvia hot lips (been on my wish list for a year) for $20. so exciting! Now I get to figure out where they should go. Maybe another game of musical plants! Anyone else play?

• kimka
    9 years ago

I wasn't going to, I was going to be strong, this was going to be a cleaning up, organizing, planning in leisure year. But who could resist Santa Rosa's summer sale prices? I just ordered 5 coral bells that I've been craving but had never given into at the prices I had seen them including a Georgia peaches and one to experiment with: Lewisia longipetala Little Plum.

Does anyone have any experience with Lewisia longipetala Little Plum?

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    9 years ago

I caved. I'm so weak. It was all your fault, all of you! I kept coming back to this thread. Don't open it, I told myself. Don't read it. It will only be full of people saying what they ordered, how great the prices are, how great Santa Rosa is, how much they saved. They will lure you into their little circle....

But, on the bright side, I got a good deal, lol! Some astilbe, chelone, gaillardia, veronica, and then to boost the final sale to get that flat shipping rate, a couple of fall asters.

Just got my Bluestone sale order in the mail today - about to go rip it open and salivate right now! Now I can look forward to SR next week!

:)
    Dee

• gardenweed_z6a
    9 years ago

Dee - if you caved, were weak, then you're in good company which makes it mostly okay, yes? All of us are willing (folks, chime in here) to take the blame so you don't have to (so long as it's coming out of your checking account anyway)!

I console myself that this is the first time I've ordered or purchased from a nursery since I discovered winter sowing in 2009 which equates to 5+ years of mega$$ I've saved in online purchases.

Regrets? Nuh-uh.

• lilsprout
    9 years ago

I too finally caved.

Purchased some amsonia blue star and some grasses.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I just got an email saying my order has shipped, to be honest I had to go back and take a look at what I ordered, it's been a couple days and I was all hyped up on adrenaline when I ordered! Lol just kidding, but i was pleased to see again what's headed my way.
    I'm assuming everyone loves new plant pictures so I'll post one when they get here :)
    Thanks for the info Kevin, I'm going with the bog in a pot, I just have to settle on a soil mix.

• Marie Tulin
    9 years ago

This is very good company. This spring they gave me credit for 6 geranium "Blue Havana" which had melted away in my garden two years ag0. The representative had my order on record and didn't hesitate a moment to give me a "gift certificate" for the amount.
    I'd looked over the web catalogue at least 4 times since the sale started, and finally decided the money wasn't doing me any good
    just sitting there.
    I got 9 plants,the 10%discount, 5 buck shipping and still had 45 cents credit.
    That's what I call a good sale and a happy customer!
    Marie

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

As long as my order is still unplanted I might as well post a baby picture of all the new guys!
    Everything looks great and I'm beyond pleased. Hard to believe these are clearance plants, a few are potbound but they all look great and I know they'll take off... and the packaging almost seemed more expensive than the cost of the plants, I almost feel like they did me a favor letting me order since I don't know how they made any dollars.
    I think I've gushed enough.
    From the looks of my plants I might have to start visiting the heuchera forum...

and the sale's still on. I think MY5 will get you an extra 5$ off a minimum $20 order.... and I'm trying to resist a few 2.99 mandevillas and tropical grasses.

• a2zmom_Z6_NJ
    9 years ago

Kato, what a great selection you got. Happy planting!

I spent last week putting in over 50 plants including items from Santa Rosa, Bluestone and a bunch of daylilies from Sterrett gardens (great selection and by far the best prices for daylilies I've seen.)

• amna
    9 years ago

Just wanted to say that despite my best efforts, I too succumbed. Got my 2.5 boxes full of plants today. Feeling sheepish because I really wasn't supposed to spend this money and I too had vowed to wait and learn the lay of the new yard before buying stuff. So much for all those resolutions. Now to get them all perked up and figure out where to put them. I just know it's going to be all helter skelter because my garden design/planning skills leave much to be desired. But even so, just seeing them grow and smelling them ( especially the bee balm that I went a little nuts with) makes me happy and we can always rearrange, right?

Thank you all for being such enablers :-)
    Amna

• southerngardening24
    9 years ago

kato_b you got some great looking plants! I bought 12 heuchera from them so I think I will join you at the heuchera forum :-)

amna by the start of the next growing season you will be glad you didn't wait with the purchase. Everything will be bigger and you will have filled in spots in your garden.

I just recieved another order from santa rosa yesterday and I am glad I found room for all of them. It will be hard not to buy any more plants but it is just too late to plant anything in this heat. Luckily the last order included all shade plants. They should be ok.

Looks like I won't be the only one rearranging plants next spring. Some people rearrange furniture, I rearrange plants :)

Which bee balm did you get? I'm still debating on buying some at some point but not sure because it's so invasive and supposedly it doesn't take the heat well. Maybe some do better than others?

• thrills
    9 years ago

Just chiming in that I purchased four heucheras last year from SRG's summer sale and now they are all large and healthy. They have caught up with the heucheras I purchased locally last spring in the larger, round pots (gallon pots I always tend to think but they aren't really a gallon).
    Very happy with my order and kind of sad I missed it this year.

• jadeite
    9 years ago

But there is a big end of season sale, when you can pre-order for delivery next spring. Last year they offered everything at half price. I sent in a huge order and got everything at the beginning of May, perfectly timed for the start of warm weather here. Everything is settling in nicely.

Of course I couldn't resist their early summer sale when I stocked up on tons of grasses. I'm compiling my wish list for the end of the season, based on how everything does through summer.

SRG has been consistently terrific IMO.

Cheryl

• tepelus
    9 years ago

Just got my second order today and the plants look good despite being in a box for four days. Three Raspberry Summer agastache, three Caradonna salvia, two Redshift coreopsis, and one Big Bang Cosmic Evolution coreopsis. Some need a little more dirt in their pots from getting knocked out from shipping. Gave them a drink and letting them recuperate on the deck for a few days before putting them in the ground. I will have to give the agastache a haircut so they can bush out, they're a bit scraggly.

Karen

• amna
    9 years ago

Southerngardening24, I got
    3 of : Monarda didyma Balmy Purple
    ÃÂ 3 of : Monarda didyma Coral Reef
    ÃÂ 3 of : Monarda didyma Gardenview Scarlet
    ÃÂ 3 of : Monarda didyma Jacob Cline
    ÃÂ 3 of : Monarda didyma Raspberry Wine

I had a red clump in my old yard that a friend gave me, don't know the name but I loved it. I love their smell and appearance. Hopefully they will do well and I don't mind if they want to spread themselves out in my yard :-) I've gotten better at ripping out unwanted seedlings rather than being the boarder I used to be!

Amna
    PS I REALLY do not need to know about any other sales , really :-)

• southerngardening24
    9 years ago

Thank you for letting me know. :-) If I wasn't going on vacation soon I would place another order and try out some of the monarda.

Enjoy your new plants! :-)

• lilsprout
    9 years ago

SG, you can let them know you will be vacationing, and what day you are returning...and they will wait to ship.

That's what I did and it worked out perfect. I even had time to plant them before going back to work.

Just thought I'd let you know ;0)

• southerngardening24
    9 years ago

lilsprout that is a good idea except the temps will probably be another 10 degrees higher when I return and not sure how the plants would take it.

• amna
    9 years ago

Southerngardening24, I got
    3 of : Monarda didyma Balmy Purple
    ÃÂ 3 of : Monarda didyma Coral Reef
    ÃÂ 3 of : Monarda didyma Gardenview Scarlet
    ÃÂ 3 of : Monarda didyma Jacob Cline
    ÃÂ 3 of : Monarda didyma Raspberry Wine

I had a red clump in my old yard that a friend gave me, don't know the name but I loved it. I love their smell and appearance. Hopefully they will do well and I don't mind if they want to spread themselves out in my yard :-) I've gotten better at ripping out unwanted seedlings rather than being the boarder I used to be!

Amna
    PS I REALLY do not need to know about any other sales , really :-)