Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Storing potted perennials in summer heat

Posted by jayco 5b NY (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 24, 13 at 9:23

I have some potted plants I would like to save for a fall swap. I'd prefer not to have to put them in the ground. When I'm home I can just water them often; but if I go away for a week or two when the weather is hot, what is the best thing to do? Can I store them in the basement? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Storing potted perennials in summer heat

The best way I've found to deal with a lot of potted plants during the summer is to put them in a baby pool in the shade. Then put a couple of inches of water in the pool, and leave it for a few days. Three or four days later, the water should be gone, and the plants starting to look a bit droopy, so the process is repeated. A bit more water starting out, and they can be left a week.

The only problem I've ever had with this was when it started raining, and I forgot to get the plants out of the pool. Weeks and weeks of sitting in water isn't good, but if the pool dries out between fillings, it works well.

o

Thanks, that's a good idea!

If they don't all fit, do you think the basement idea would be bad as a backup?

o

I find that my closed garage stays cooler than the outside. It also has windows so the plants get some light. I water them really well and can leave them in the garage for a week. They need to be reintroduced to the outside slowly so they don't burn, put in a shaded area for a few days. Your basement should also work if they get light.

o

Great, thanks! My basement does get light and is usually quite a bit cooler than the outside, and since I've got many pots it's good to have two possibities.

o

^Just make sure you aren't bringing in bugs as well...

o

I keep many pots of perennials outside till they are a good flowering size - I make a long windbreak using poles and green shade netting and line the pots (at least 5inches, 1litre size) along the length of it. I can keep a few hundred pots going as long as they are both out of strong winds and direct sun. I water by hand, just running along the rows a few times with a 10litre can.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here