Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ispahan

Anyone grow Luzula nivea, aka Snowy Woodrush?

I am curious about Luzula nivea, a short tufty grass supposedly good for shady conditions that produces white flowers in early summer. Anyone here have actual experience with it? Just wondering if it is a nice, attractive plant or if it tends to look weedy and unkempt in real life.

Comments (4)

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    10 years ago

I planted one about 10 years ago in my 'wet corner' area (very wet soil in spring but drier later in the summer...) The area where it is is quite shady because a ratty spruce - naked except for a tuft of branches high up - that was here when we bought the property in 1999 has not died/been removed as I anticipated it would be when I planted the woodrush! Clearly it needs more light than it's getting... I think it could be a nice plant in the right spot, although it's somewhat odd to associate something green and grassy with shade.

I took this picture just now - if you look closely you can see the grassy foliage by the short fence that tells the dogs to stay out of this area :-) There are three fluffy white flowerheads on the plant - one is just above the little fence; one is straight up where the kirengeshoma leaves meet the fern; the third is to the right and down a bit in front of a kirengeshoma leaf.

{{gwi:233409}}

It's never seeded or spread for me - but that may be because the conditions are not ideal.

Is that useful at all?

• linaria_gw
    10 years ago

Hi Ispahan,
    I tended a garden for three years, with Luzula nivea (among others).
    Garden was in Europe, Berlin, sandy soil, dry summers, and about 650 ml annual rainfall, (or 25 inches)
    The bed was under a tall oak (Q rubra), and the soil was completely eaten up by thin oak roots.
    The Luzula nivea is a lovely spring flowering grass, European species, I think. I used to give it a haircut after flowering, as it self seeds somewhat, and the spent flowers turn brown and flop after a while.
    I liked it, and it is far more civilized than its cousin Luzula luzuloides, super tough and selfseeding with worryingly high success rates.

Saying that, the L nivea still never looks as tidy as an evergreen Carex, as their blades poke in all directions. Apart from that it should be fine in a non-formal, nature-look-thingy garden situation. And the white flower heads are just lovely.

Not sure, how it does on heavy soil,
    well, bye, Lin

• ontnative
    10 years ago

I grew Luzula nivea on amended heavy clay in part shade, and found it was very "wimpy" in those conditions, nice in its own way, but just not much of anything.

• charlesbridgeman
    10 years ago

I have been growing several Luzula nivea for 3 years in partial shade in improved well drained soil here in SE UK..
    Plenty of soil improver (composted bark) but no fertiliser or manure.

It grows well, flowers profusely then lays itself down from midsummer onwards.

I reluctantly cut it down and threw stems and flowers out. I wonder if the location is maybe too dry although there are no signs of crisping of the leaves.?

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21