Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mercury Rising Coreopsis is AWESOME!

Posted by funnthsun 7B - NC (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 14, 13 at 9:36

This is my first year with Mercury Rising and it has amazed me already! It was a tiny plant when I got it. It's been in the ground for just a couple of months, it has grown like crazy in that time and the blooms are to die for! This pic doesn't even do the color justice, but it is still beautiful and not even in peak bloom yet. Wow, just wow.

By the way, Santa Rosa has these right now for 2.99 each, which is ridiculously cheap for such a new cultivar. I bought 3 more when I saw that price. No idea where I'm going to put them, but with these results, I will find a spot!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mercury Rising Coreopsis is AWESOME!

I did have this on my "to buy list" but haven't got around to getting it.

Do you think it will be a flopper??

o

Hard to say at this point, but it doesn't seem to be showing those tendencies, despite the beating rain that it's gotten over the past week or so. It does "spread" a bit, not the roots, but the flowers, as you can see like to reach out. Not sure if you can tell from the pic, but there is quite a few buds that haven't opened in the center, so that kind of gives it the spreading look, which will probably go away once those open, but it still is a reacher. The color of the blooms are very similar in color to the heart attack dianthus, I know you have some of those, rouge. That bright yellow center totally changes the look, though. It makes that color really pop!

This post was edited by funnthsun on Fri, Jun 14, 13 at 9:56

o

Glad to hear you like it- I ordered some for the nursery the other day. I am curious to know how folks in a low zone fare with it in terms of hardiness...
CMK

o

Lovely picture. Thanks for posting.

Any input from people on other coreopsis varieties? Santa rosa gardens still has a few different types available.

o

I bought Cosmic Eye at the same time that I bought Mercury Rising. To say that this one is vigorous is an understatement. The tag says 15" tall, although I did notice that Santa Rosa says 20" on this one. Well, mine is currently 30" tall! I had to move it further back in the border, it was blocking the Mercury Rising, which was supposed to be the tallest of the two. It is just now breaking its first bloom, but it is full of them. Seems to be a great one as well.

o

Thanks for the info. I am looking forward to my order--should be shipped week after next though. They said last week and the next week were all booked up with shipping.

I bought 3 coreopsis and several heuchera.

o

'funn', I really like my "Cosmic Eye". All three plants have returned for a 3 season which is a good sign although I think all 3 are behind in terms of development. They can grow quite large but if needed they can be trimmed quite successfully.

o

rouge, Cosmic Eye looks like a great performer. Based on it's growth this year, I'm looking forward to it swallowing my entire border next year! Should be beautiful!

An aside, it looks like Mercury Rising is sold out now at Santa Rosa. 30 plants left of Cosmic Eye. At that price, I don't doubt it!

o

Planting three of these tonight, plus one of the newer 'Red Satin' to compare.

o

Interesting, hadn't heard of Red Satin before. I see it's a 2013 intro. You will have to report back and let us know how it does!

o

An update on Coreopsis 'Mercury Rising'. Yes, the flowers are pretty. Yes, it sprawls. Yes, it blooms contiously and buds aplenty, going forward.

The big question - will it survive the winter.

o

It is very pretty!

o

I planted two of these myself this year and it is blooming a lot. However, the flowers seem to be more purple than red at this point. Is anyone else seeing this?

o

I like it very much. And this is the first year. The sprawl does not detract from the vigor of the plants. My only concern is over winter.

o

An update on 'Mercury Rising'. The sprawl turned into dense plants. At present, I didn't deadhead over the last few weeks but there are buds aplenty. Prior to that with some deadheading, it bloomed continuously for two months. Overall, an excellent plant, as advertised. Even if there were overwintering issues, I would buy it again.

o

Luv seeing updates on plants. Thanks boday.

I felt the same way about coreopsis "Cosmic Eye" ie basically treating it as an annual if necessary but two of these plants have survived two winters for me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here