Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arylkin

bee balm with different bloom times?

arylkin
10 years ago

I've been reading a lot about bee balm on this forum and think I'm going to plant several plants in a "'wasted area" we have in our yard. I'm fine with it spreading (in fact I hope it does) and love the smell of it.

I'm wondering however, in your experience do the different varieties bloom at different times? If so I was thinking of mixing a few types to have a longer bloom season. Do you think that's a good idea? I'm new to gardening but have been reading as much as I can to learn. Some things I've read about planting different types or colors of a plant say it's not a good idea since they will intermix and spawn plants that aren't very attractive. Is that something to be concerned about with bee balm?

Also, since I'm looking for it to spread over an area (but also am trying to do things on the cheap), I have a garden center that sells 6-8 inch pots of perennials, could I buy some and split each pot into say 2 or 3 plants and plant those, hopefully encouraging the plants to spread more quickly?

This post was edited by arylkin on Sat, Jun 15, 13 at 9:40

Comments (9)

• gardenweed_z6a
    10 years ago

I'd have to check some actual plants to say with absolute certainty but I think Monarda/bee balm is in the mint family. Feel the stems--if they're square instead of round, they're part of the mint family which includes many rampant spreaders. It's been my experience they're also nearly indestructible.

Most can be easily grown from seed which would suit your goal of doing things on the cheap. Check out the winter sowing forum here on GardenWeb to learn how the method works to give you nearly 100% germination with seeds + a fun-filled winter season which will = a garden full of healthy plants in just a few short years. I filled nearly a dozen new flowerbeds with gorgeous perennial plants I grew via winter sowing from 2009-2011 and can now sit back and just enjoy/admire them.

According to my perennial book, monarda blooms from mid- to late-summer & the bloom period is 8 weeks or more. Be aware, however, that monarda is highly susceptible to powdery mildew.

• gazania_gw
    10 years ago

I don't think there would be any faster spread by dividing 6 to 8 inch pots. The stress placed on them would just take them longer to recover from transplant shock.

I don't think that there is much if any difference in the bloom time between the cultivars. You could try pinching back some of the plants to delay their bloom.

Just be sure that whichever bee balm you plant has high mildew resistance. And when plants are crowded, even the most resistant will likely have mildew issues. Thinning them out for better air circulation will help, or try spraying. I didn't find spraying to be all that helpful in this large patch.

• terrene
    10 years ago

Nice patch gazania! That looks like Raspberry Wine.

Arylkin where do you live? If you're in Mass you're welcome to come get some bee balm. I have TONS! I've got the red Monarda didyma, Raspberry Wine (^^^ see above), Claire Grace, Blue Stocking, and Coral Reef, as well as the species Monarda fistulosa and M. bradburiana (started from seed). I also grow the annual Monarda citriodora - lovely annual sometimes called Lemon bee balm I think because it has a lemony scent to the foliage.

Yes they do bloom on slightly staggered schedules. Also I go around and trim all the Monarda, giving about half the stalks a haircut so that some blooms will open later.

In my experience they spread rapidly by shallow runners, at least doubling in size each year. yes they sometimes have mildew issues, and the foliage looks ratty later in the season, but the blooms and hummingbirds are worth it.

• gazania_gw
    10 years ago

Right on terrene, it is Raspberry Wine. And you are also right about mildew issues and the late ratty appearance being far out weighed by the beauty of the blooms and all the hummingbirds and even bees that it attracts

• greylady_gardener
    10 years ago

I bought a new one this spring (new to me) called 'petite delight' and the top snapped off. I stuck it in the soil and it has rooted just fine. Two plants for the price of one!!

Maybe if you buy them tall enough, you could pinch off a couple of inches at the top of the stems and root them

• arylkin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone! Pinching off some stems for a later bloom is a great idea, thanks!

• Laura twixanddud - SE MI - 5b
    10 years ago

Be sure to get some of the monarda bradburiana - it started blooming here a couple of weeks ago, much earlier than all my other monardas (I have Raspberry Wine, Jacob Cline, Coral Reef, Fire Marshall, Purple Rooster, Grand Parade, Grand Marshall, Peter's Fancy Fuchsia, Dark Ponticum, and probably another one or two), those won't start blooming for at least a couple more weeks.

• pippi21
    10 years ago

My Raspberry wine and jacob cline are both blooming at this time. The Raspberry wine variety was sent to me by a generous member here and I paid for the shipping cost. BB does spread fast and it's leaves do smell like mint. Their roots are like runners. I will be glad to save some seeds for you, might even have some in my stach from last year but not sure. I'd rather wait and give you some from this year. Email me and give me your address.