Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rouge21_gw

Phyteuma (scheuchzeri)?

Kevin has an active thread concerning bell flowers. And by chance the topic of a garden blog I received today in my inbox focused on the unusual looking Campanula Phyteuma (scheuchzeri) (aka "Horned Rampion"?)

I don't recall it being discussed on GW.

Take a look:

Here is a link that might be useful: phyteuma...bell flower?

Comments (8)

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    9 years ago

I did a Google image search (link below) to get an idea of what the whole plant looks like.

Looks like it might be good for a rock garden and the flowers look interesting, but that foliage just doesn't grab me. Still - I do have a small bed where something like this might work.

Kevin

Here is a link that might be useful: images

• User
    9 years ago

I have grown these, along with sheepbit (jasione)....but was irritated by the wayward stems which were too fine for staking (very long and wiry) but would not stand upright but flopped willy-nilly in every direction. Annoying and messy looking (like rather a lot of my plant choices, looking out of the window....sigh)....and not amenable to being supported by other plants since the growth rosette is all at the base of the plant and needs sun.

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Excellent report campanula. Thank you.

Annoying and messy looking (like rather a lot of my plant choices, looking out of the window....sigh).

Ah...there is that self deprecating British humour! You are a card campanula.

• User
    9 years ago

Ah, if only, I think having been looking at Christines (?) new beds, Kevin's perfectly balanced vignettes, Woody's lush planting........then glancing at the bitty, and weirdly patchy garden at mine (lots of salvia, the last geums, very dainty hemerocallis and tall scrambling psilostemon geraniums....and far too much untidy foliage and looming, non-blooming climbing roses....well! True, it is airy and colourful (in parts) but also unsatisfyingly....disjointed (the perpetual complaint of plant obsessives with tiny gardens).
    Making plans for next year.....no doubt the first of many, but an overhaul is on the cards.....

Original Author
    9 years ago

non-blooming climbing roses...

Campanula please humour me....we are always proud of our climbing rose this time of year.

Here it is from a week or so ago.

• User
    9 years ago

Would that be one of the explorers? Mine (roses) are more or less done and dusted for the season (I mainly have once bloomers). Yours looks rather like my Zepherine Drouhin did before it finally succumbed to mildew (and everything else) and was finally sent to compost-bin heaven. My alliums are done too. Loving the hose (mine is always in a state of unwindedness too)..

Original Author
    9 years ago

You are right campanula it is an Explorer. (It does bloom only once in the season...almost for a month from mid June into July). This particular rose is approximately 14 years old.

(I should have cropped out the hose ;))

• User
    9 years ago

Smashing!

leave the hose - we are fed up with perfection.....nothing says gardener more than a hose and a few empty pots lying around.