Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dianna_kerr

Baptisia question

I was wondering how other gardenweb members False Indigo did this year??

I live in Southern Pennsylvania and mine did not bloom well this year. Could it be the frigid winter or do they diminish as they age? Mine has been in the same spot for about 10 years and (I could be mistaken) but it seems to have less and less blooms each year.

Any thoughts?

Comments (11)

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    9 years ago

Is it getting more and more shade?

Mine did quite well this year. There was even a surprise appearance from a hybrid I thought had died off a few years ago. And ten years isn't really that long for them. There are limits to their shade tolerance, though.

• Diannadesigns gardens
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No it is in full sun still, lots of foliage but few flowers.

• rusty_blackhaw
    9 years ago

My Baptisia "Purple Smoke" bloomed very well this year and is looking vigorous as usual. The blue-flowered species seems to have been declining somewhat in recent years, though I think that's because tall ornamental grasses are gradually shading it out.

No idea why a healthy-looking stand would have scanty blooms (they're supposed to do well in a favorable spot and flower for decades). You could try taking stem cuttings and see if plants perform better in a different location.

• a2zmom_Z6_NJ
    9 years ago

My 'Solar Flare' bloomed prolifically. Unfortunately a heavy rainstorm caused the entire plant to fall over. Last year the same thing happened. Next year, I'm getting a peony ring. I hope that will work.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

Mine seem to be doing fine except where the voles ate some of the roots, but that reduces the entire plant.

• Marie Tulin
    9 years ago

my twilight prairie blues did not bloom. I wonder if it because the rosa glauca has grown enough to shade it.
    Marie

• gardenweed_z6a
    9 years ago

All my established baptisias bloomed prolifically this year, including Twilight Prairie Blue. My other mature plants are species Buddleia davidii. I also provide peony rings for all of them to prevent flopping since they're so top-heavy.

I only have them growing in full sun, sandy loam soil. They've been growing in my butterfly beds since 2007. I winter sowed the seeds a friend gave me last year and have a dozen or so seedlings about 5" tall to plant out come fall.

• thrills
    9 years ago

My four year old seed grown plants flowered significantly less this year than last year. I was wondering if the cold winter had anything to do with it. they are still growing in full sun.

• yardenman
    9 years ago

I don't recall the variety of my 4 Baptista, but they are in 4 hours of sun and bloom nicely in late May here. They've lasted a good 10 years here and seem happy to go 10 more.

• dogg1967
    9 years ago

My Baptisia has been great this year, although I'd love to see more blooms. It is currently setting seed pods. It does sit on the northwest side of the house and probably only gets 2-3 hours of afternoon sun. But I'm very happy with its shape... in fact, I'll be forced to move a Sarah Bernhardt peony because it's getting pushed out by the Baptisia. Oh, it is the Purple Smoke variety.

{{gwi:233717}}

{{gwi:233718}}

• Nevermore44 - 6a
    9 years ago

My 10 year old clump flowered okay... Though much less then years prior. The newer variety I planted just last year bloomed great... So who knows.

As a side note on flopping... I gave up the peony rings years ago and just remove the seed pods.... Thick stems included... After flowering. The plant hasn't flopped since. You give up the neat look of the black seed pods, but it's worth it to me plus I don't get a ton of seedlings popping up everywhere in the spring like before.

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert