Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can you ID this flower?

Posted by prairiemoon2 zone 6a/MA (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 23, 14 at 10:24

I'd like to figure out what this is and whether it is something I can grow in my zone. A Ranunculus of some kind? Looks like a huge flower, I haven't seen this in any nursery or catalog.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can you ID this flower?

Sure looks like ranunculus to me, the thing with the buds might be throwing you off...those could be freesias.

o

I agree, Donna - looks like a bouquet or posy with ranunculus and freesia

o

Check out the double forms of Ranunculus asiaticus. They are hardy to zone 8, so aren't outdoor plants in New England. I have seen them locally in pots in mid-spring occasionally.

o

mmmm, ranunculus are tricksy to grow, being sensitive to temperature and daylength. Many fail because the corms/tubers/claws are sold in spring when it is far too late for them to flower and bloom - they may leaf up but will only produce vegetative and root growth. To succeed with these, they need to be planted in late summer/autumn (like anemone coronaria or the De Caen hybrids), kept dryish all winter and started into growth (by watering) just after Xmas in a cool greenhouse. They will start to leaf up in January and should start to bloom early April. As soon as day length increases, they go back into vegetative growth.
So, Woody, I would probably not bother with these unless you find some in bloom around Easter when you can keep them and continue the growth cycle for next year.
They are as easy (?) from seed as from tubers....but planting times are the same - they can be forced into growth in around 20weeks.

o

My daughter was in France this past spring and she found bouquets of ranunculus for sale and loved them. I wanted to try to grow them for her, but it doesn't sound feasible. I'm in zone 6 and they won't winter over for me if they're only hardy to zone 8. If they need to be started in the late summer and grown over the winter, no green house here and not really wanting another winter project.

Okay, well, she's going to have to keep buying bunches of them when she can find them, then. Thank you all for settling that one for me. :-)

This post was edited by prairiemoon2 on Tue, Jun 24, 14 at 10:58

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here