Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laceyvail

Why doesn't every nursery in the country sell.....

laceyvail 6A, WV
9 years ago

Spigelia marilandica? I wish I could post a picture of mine, which I got from Seneca Hills Nursery before it closed a few years ago. I have the rarer version with chartreuse instead of yellow at the top of the lipstick red tubes. This plant is extremely adaptable in terms of light exposure and soil, is deer resistant, very hardy and is easily propagated. If people saw it in a nursery, they'd fall all over themselves to buy it. It's by far the most spectacular perennial I've ever seen.

Do you know it? Why doesn't everyone?

Comments (109)

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    7 years ago

Great feedback. Thank you. They do seem to be hardier than they might appear.

• User
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

It was planted earlier in the year and it croaked during our last mild Winter.

7 years ago

it croaked during our last mild Winter.

There is often no rhyme or reason to an individual plant's survival is there?

• User
    7 years ago

As usual, I suspect too much rain.

7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

UPDATE:

I am more and more impressed with this plant. After coming back reliably for now 3 seasons straight I am confident it is here for the long haul (and with that in mind I added a couple more of these plants to the garden, placing them further away from the shelter of the house, just to see if they can handle it).

Anyways the most established one, after putting on a good show in July is now doing a second but still worthwhile rebloom.

You guys and gals further south have outstanding specimens which has always impressed me.

• dbarron
    7 years ago

Well, I have encountered it in the wild here...even there it's not a HUGE plant. I miss having one...but haven't coughed up the dollars for a replacement yet.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    7 years ago

Mine did very well this year - the three clumps expanded nicely and bloomed beautifully.

6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

UPDATE 2017:

Still love this plant.

I have two established ones that (cross my fingers) I have moved to a sunnier location AND I have added two more.

Here is our largest plant:

How about posting pictures of your spigelia in flower in 2017

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    6 years ago

I lost 2 of 3 of mine over winter - overwintered in pots in the barn (taken from other house). Fortunately, a local nursery had a good supply of them at a reasonable price, so I bought 9 (!) more plants. Hopefully they will adapt well to conditions at this house.

6 years ago

I am assuming you will/have plant the *9* in the ground at your new place? Have you distributed them in various groups out and about?

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    6 years ago

They need too much water and rich ground to grow where I am. I don't think they like my brand of very young calcium limestone. I only see them in native nurseries to the east of here....otherside of the Balcone's Fault line.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    6 years ago

I actually ordered one this spring, but then the nursery ended up canceling my order when their crop didn't come through as expected. I will try again next year. I don't think that this is a plant I would want to try planting in fall.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    6 years ago

Rouge - Yes, I'm going to plant different groupings on three different sides of the house. The "firecracker" coloring looks terrific with the color of my house.

• dbarron
    6 years ago

I reacquired one last year, and it bloomed both years for me...but I want a bulkier one like rouge_21, which I'll probably have in 2 or 3 more years (lol). Nice one.

Having read that it performs better (given water) in near full sun, that's what I did....and so far (one year) so good.

6 years ago

...friend of mine has a Spigelia (with the yellow tops) growing in quite dry soil.

It is now my experience that these plants can be successful in drier conditions than I had previously thought.

And it is nice to see a small rebloom this time of year,

• dbarron
    6 years ago

I would tend to agree, I've seen it in the woods (not too far from water, but definitely not where it would get constant root moisture), and those trees are thirsty...it would definitely experience summer dryness.

And I had a rebloom about a month ago on my sunny one (two or three stalks rebloomed), minor but as you say, welcome.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    6 years ago

Mine are thriving under a large honey locust, so pretty dry and definitely well drained, part shade. I believe I got them (actually, probably just one that has spread) from Michigan Bulb. I am often surprised at not-run-of-the-mill plants that pop up at that family of mail-order sites.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    6 years ago

They won't grow in my concept of dry

• deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b
    6 years ago

rouge, I've noticed you reposting updates on plants a few years after a thread originates. It is certainly appreciated, so thank you VERY much!

6 years ago

They won't grow in my concept of dry

I have no doubt.

I was only speaking from my experience in my zone 5/6 in Ontario Canada.

6 years ago

You are welcome 'deanna'. I always appreciate it when other members post updates of their plants...kind of like a long term test drive of a car.

• mnwsgal
    6 years ago

I have few garden plant regrets but this is one that I wish I had added when I first heard about it. Though we are still listed as Z4 there are several Z5 plants surviving and growing well in my gardens. This is such a beautiful plant.

6 years ago

This is such a beautiful plant.

The bloom is like no other plant I know...so cool.

• User
    6 years ago

I'd mistakenly thought my Spigelia had died--it's just a very late bloomer in my garden and resides behind a large Baptisia 'Twilite Prairieblues'---it just finished blooming a couple of weeks ago. Has anyone tried saving seed?

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Mine seeds fairly enthusiastically and I've given away a lot of seedlings. I put one in a very dry area, and though it's growing more slowly, it seems completely happy. So glad more and more people are enjoying this plant.

6 years ago

'lacey', I haven't yet seen evidence of seeding. I look forward to it.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    6 years ago

I've got about 10 or 12 of these still to plant - I bought them at the local nursery this spring, only 1 of the 3 I took from other house survived the winter. I really need to get these in the ground ASAP, as they had a poor survival rate living in pots last winter...

• dbarron
    6 years ago

As a broad rule, things generally do much better in the ground :)

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    6 years ago

Actually, I have had an overwhelmingly high success rate overwintering plants in pots over the many years I've been gardening - it's the occasional oddball that doesn't survive.

5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

UPDATE 2018:

A very cold winter and extra tricky April but our two established Spigelia have come back just fine however two new ones planted last season did not make it.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    5 years ago

I love this plant but it is proving very difficult to locate on the coast opposite of its nativity!! And I really dislike mail order :-))

One more or less local specialty/rare plants nursery is sold out for the season. And has been since late winter. My other go-to source - a large wholesale perennial grower - is not offering it this season but does have a bunch of stock plants they use for propagation. After a lot of wheedling and asking nicely, they agreed to part with ONE of their stock plants and sent it along with their weekly delivery to my local nursery. But someone else snagged it before it could be put aside for me and they won't send another :-(

So I guess there will be no Spigelia in my garden until at least next season...........I am not a happy camper!!

• buyorsell888
    5 years ago

That sucks that someone else grabbed it....

4 years ago

My other go-to source - a large wholesale perennial grower - is not offering it this season but does have a bunch of stock plants they use for propagation. After a lot of wheedling and asking nicely, they agreed to part with ONE of their stock plants

UPDATE 2019:

Well it looks like to me that with Proven Winners getting in on the act this plant should be more readily available in the future.

LITTLE REDHEAD from PW

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    4 years ago

I currently have it on order with my local nursery but no dice yet :-( And my local speciality/rare plant nursery (a Heronswood replacement) is of course out for the season!!

Proven Winners is just a plant marketing company and not all that popular in this area with independent retail nurseries where there are scores of other and less expensive wholesale growers available to choose from.

• Marie Tulin
    4 years ago

I felt kinda sad seeing this old thread. Had I posted earlier the story would still be the same: I've planted several at different times and not a one came through a winter.

4 years ago

I felt kinda sad seeing this old thread.

Sorry Marie!

I was thinking it was some good news as it will most likely mean that the plant will be more widely available for sale. I wanted to buy a couple of the plants right now and I have no source and it isnt even July yet!

• Marie Tulin
    4 years ago

I live for the day......

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I give away starts of mine every year. as it seeds about though not aggressively. And mine is a rather unusual strain; where the yellow "stars" are in most Spigelias, mine are chartreuse.

• cercis47
    4 years ago

Tried and failed 3x. It does a disappearing act in my garden. Am envious of those folks who grow it successfully.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Interestingly, the ones I have on the west side of the house (so late afternoon/early evening hot sun) are doing great while the ones on the east side of the house are really struggling -- I finally saw signs of life from two of the three (or four?) I had planted over there but they're not even leafed out yet. I think the difference is the soil moisture. The ones that are struggling are in soil is near a downspout -- the soil isn't overly soggy, but it's definitely on the moist side. The ones on the west side are in just average soil -- not too dry, not too moist. So, yea -- moving the struggling spigelias is on my to-do list.

• gdinieontarioz5
    4 years ago

Rouge, doesn’t Lost Horizons have it? I just moved a rose that was always trying to draw blood, to the front, so I have a spot for it. I saw it at the new RBG rock garden and was sold on it.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Well, I started this thread, and my Spigelia is growing in moist but well drained soil partially under the skirts of an Itea (which always needs beating back) and a fair amount of sun.

4 years ago

doesn’t Lost Horizons have it?

It is no longer listed in this years Perennial Catalogue.

• gdinieontarioz5
    4 years ago

When they had it, I didn’t have a decent spot for it. Now that I have a good spot, they don’t have it. Grrr.

4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Here is one of our two as of this morning:

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    4 years ago

What a wonderful plant! I adore red and would get it in a heartbeat even though I am on the edge of it's hardiness zone like NHBabs.

Babs did you end up getting one? If so would you give your experience with it.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    4 years ago

Mine are getting ready to bloom - anxiously awaiting! I did move the other ones that were struggling, hopefully they'll take off in their home.

4 years ago

Pictures, pictures mxk3 !

• gdinieontarioz5
    4 years ago

Beautiful, Rouge, that is an impressive clump! Whenever I run into it, I will snap it up!

4 years ago

A bit of a rebloom these days: