Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
weird but wonderful

Posted by seedmoney 8A (seedmoney@embarqmail.com) on
Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 11:39

Greetings,
In a batch of 300 seedlings of Dianthus amurensis 'Siberian Blues' up popped two plants with pure white flowers. They have proven hardy in my garden (Outer Banks, coastal NC, Zone 8) for two years now. Anybody ever heard of a white variant of D. amurensis?

Here is a link that might be useful: White-flowered form of Dianthus amurensis

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: weird but wonderful

hello seedmoney,
those are some amazing photographs.
-----
I dont know about this particular species, but in general mutations to a white form aren`t very unusual. Some of the first garden plants were white mutants of the wild forms, collected by keen eyed gardeners in the wild. Of almost all garden perennials you can get white cultivars. I remember a pic my brother in law took of a wheat field: billions of red poppy and one white poppy among them. So as long as it doesn`t ruin your color scheme I would just watch it for a while.

bye, Lin

o

Thanks for your kind words, Lin.
I actually prefer this white variant over the regular "blue" ones. Any idea if the white flowered type will come true from seed? The plant in question is isolated from the others.

o

that depends on their pollination habit/technique, I once had volunteers of a white Centranthus ruber, all of them white as well; clueless about Dianthus though, self-pollination would make that happen,

bye, Lin.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here