Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woodyoak

after the deluge....

I was just out in the backyard to see how the path improvements held up under yesterday's heavy rain. We got about 1" in an hour or so. The rain barrel at the SE corner of the front of the house filled to overflowing within minutes and then fountained out through the top. It washed a swath out through the pinebark layer but did not carve a gully once it hit the underlying clay soil that we had rolled a good amount of the 'crusher run' gravel into. In the backyard the only place with a washout was in front of the shed, where the water was sheeting down from across the lawn at a furious rate! But, as in the front by the rain barrel, only the mulch layer was disturbed, and that is easy to rake back into place. So I'm happy with the path work we did in the spring. You can see the disturbed mulch by the shed in this picture:
{{gwi:235292}}

Some other pictures from the backyard this morning:

Everything is looking pretty lush along the south fence path to the wet corner:
{{gwi:235293}}

Gillian Blades clematis in the south alley:
{{gwi:235294}}

Looking north along the path across the back of the house from the south alley towards the patio area:

{{gwi:235295}}

Good old reliable, vigorous Palace Purple heucheras with some of the patio hostas:
{{gwi:235296}}

Everything always looks so lush and green after a good rain! I hope no one has any significant damage from yesterdays storms....?

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz