Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boday_gw

In praise of Dianthus 'Heart Attack'

boday
10 years ago

I thought that this plant has not been praised enough. It is spectacular. Here it is with 'Astrantia Roma' that isn't in full bloom yet, so it will look better in a combo.

Comments (12)

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    10 years ago

boday, I too love this particular dianthus. Below are two of this plant from last early June 2012. However this year just bits and pieces of these same set of plants made it through the much more tricky winter weather. It will be interesting to see if yours is succssful returning after a real PEG winter.

The one healthy clump of HA that I still have is much closer to our home's foundation. I will post a picture of it when it hits it prime.

• boday
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Zone 5 eh? If I'd known, I'd used your pictures. Pretty impressive.

Mine are last year's plants. So, we've done a one Peg winter. This was a one gallon trial, that I split into two. The good news is that the plant is easily rooted. There are stems that have aerial roots. Stick them in the ground, water daily and Eureka - more plants. And a true people magnet.

The important thing is that yours is blooming again this year, which would suggest a true perennial, not the normal dianthus.

*Dance of Joy*

This post was edited by boday on Fri, Jun 21, 13 at 17:04

10 years ago

The important thing is that yours is blooming again this year, which would suggest a true perennial, not the normal dianthus.

Yes that was the main reason I went with HA over other beautiful "Sweet Williams".

10 years ago

boday here is my one good stand of HA as of today.

(It is impossible (for me) to capture the very unique color of this flower. For example there is a silver speck in the centre of each flower)

• boday
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Remember I said that 'Roma disappeared at a longer distance. Well.... Solved some of the problem. To the left is Venusta and Joe Pye, Polymorpha and on the right is Splendide. Boy, the Ech problem wreaked havoc with the flower beds. I'm scrambling like crazy.

10 years ago

Thanks for posting this picture. It is nice to see more of the total garden.

• boday
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay, I'm back with one of my favorites. They've lost their minds and are blooming again. These are smaller flowers, but still - blooms. Anyone else have that experience?

10 years ago

My two remaining HA are green and healthy but for sure w/o any flowers. They are basically green dense ground cover this time of year. You are lucky having more blooms so late.

• michael1846
    10 years ago

Mine is sending a bloom stalk would u like a picture

• boday
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm waiting for some cloud cover for pictures. I'm really having problems with lighting.

• boday
    Original Author
    10 years ago

As posted earlier, the Dianthus 'Heart Attack' reblooming. Point of interest - Astrantia 'Roma' has been blooming for two months and still going strong.

This post was edited by boday on Sun, Sep 8, 13 at 14:02

9 years ago

update:

No problem making it through this past winter:

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH