Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
In praise of Dianthus 'Heart Attack'

Posted by boday (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 21, 13 at 11:58

I thought that this plant has not been praised enough. It is spectacular. Here it is with 'Astrantia Roma' that isn't in full bloom yet, so it will look better in a combo.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: In praise of Dianthus 'Heart Attack'

boday, I too love this particular dianthus. Below are two of this plant from last early June 2012. However this year just bits and pieces of these same set of plants made it through the much more tricky winter weather. It will be interesting to see if yours is succssful returning after a real PEG winter.

The one healthy clump of HA that I still have is much closer to our home's foundation. I will post a picture of it when it hits it prime.

o

Zone 5 eh? If I'd known, I'd used your pictures. Pretty impressive.

Mine are last year's plants. So, we've done a one Peg winter. This was a one gallon trial, that I split into two. The good news is that the plant is easily rooted. There are stems that have aerial roots. Stick them in the ground, water daily and Eureka - more plants. And a true people magnet.

The important thing is that yours is blooming again this year, which would suggest a true perennial, not the normal dianthus.

*Dance of Joy*

This post was edited by boday on Fri, Jun 21, 13 at 17:04

o

The important thing is that yours is blooming again this year, which would suggest a true perennial, not the normal dianthus.

Yes that was the main reason I went with HA over other beautiful "Sweet Williams".

o

boday here is my one good stand of HA as of today.

(It is impossible (for me) to capture the very unique color of this flower. For example there is a silver speck in the centre of each flower)

o

Remember I said that 'Roma disappeared at a longer distance. Well.... Solved some of the problem. To the left is Venusta and Joe Pye, Polymorpha and on the right is Splendide. Boy, the Ech problem wreaked havoc with the flower beds. I'm scrambling like crazy.

o

Thanks for posting this picture. It is nice to see more of the total garden.

o

Okay, I'm back with one of my favorites. They've lost their minds and are blooming again. These are smaller flowers, but still - blooms. Anyone else have that experience?

o

My two remaining HA are green and healthy but for sure w/o any flowers. They are basically green dense ground cover this time of year. You are lucky having more blooms so late.

o

Mine is sending a bloom stalk would u like a picture

o

I'm waiting for some cloud cover for pictures. I'm really having problems with lighting.

o

As posted earlier, the Dianthus 'Heart Attack' reblooming. Point of interest - Astrantia 'Roma' has been blooming for two months and still going strong.

This post was edited by boday on Sun, Sep 8, 13 at 14:02

o

update:

No problem making it through this past winter:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here