Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
false indigo

Posted by thehammer1985 5a (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 9, 14 at 12:04

Hey everybody I just had a general question about my False indigo plant.i attached a picture of the plant itself and what I don't know what's going on if you could please comenten leave any suggestions thank you very much. The leaves are turning black

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: false indigo

What follows is from the Kentucky extension service. These moths devastated my two baptisias last year - I cut them to the ground and to my surprise they have come back just fine.
Genista caterpillar larvae (nocturnal moths) lay their eggs in spring; they hatch begin feeding on the tender new baptisia plant growth. The larvae work fast and can completely strip the foliage of a mature baptisia in a few days...fortunately, this shouldn’t cause permanent damage to the plant. The larvae have 5 stages before they pupate for overwintering. Since the moths are quite prolific, they can actually lay several generations of eggs each year, so you’ll need to monitor your baptisias all summer. When the caterpillars are young they can be easily killed with organic BT (Bacillus huringensis) products.

o
RE: false indigo

Seems like you would see chewed leaves if caterpillars were working on it. When any plant has leaves turning yellow then black I always suspect too much water or poor drainage. If you are over watering or getting lots of rain that could be the cause. They do like moist soil but again, too much water is a problem. If its drainage issues, the roots could be suffocating/drowning from lack of oxygen. Often an overwatered plant looks like it needs more water because the leaves wilt just like when a plant is too dry so it can be confusing what to do.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here