Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paulsiu

Stop animal digging

paulsiu
11 years ago

This morning, I notice the golden rod has been dug out of the ground, leaving only a broken stem (most likely a squirrel). There are increasing number of holes all over my yard. My bed is starting to look like swiss cheese. The animals in my area are really bad this year.

I can't chicken wire my whole perennial bed. Is there something i can do to discourage digging. I recall another poster put a layer of lava rocks on top.

Paul

Comments (12)

• jayco
    11 years ago

I sprinkle bloodmeal around as a deterrent for digging rodents. I would not say it works 100%, but it does help. I usually use it when I plant something new, as I've discovered they are especially attracted to newly moved soil -- I guess they think someone else might've buried a nut there or something.

Good luck!

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    11 years ago

jayco - Yup, I've discovered the same thing. Blood meal when I plant and it seems to keep them away long enough for the plants to have a fighting chance. Squirrels will ALWAYS start digging where you have dug or planted something. Discourage them with blood meal for a few days and they move on to some other place to do their evil deeds.

I doubt there is anything that would keep them from digging random holes in the garden. You just pray they dig in open ground and not right next to a prized plant.

Or you get a gun and blast every critter within 10 miles of your house. (not recommended however)

Kevin

• jayco
    11 years ago

Actually I also think that if I mulch immediately after planting and then tamp the mulch down so it's firm that helps a bit too... but maybe I'm dreaming on that score!

No matter what I always check newly planted things immediately the next morning so I can pop them back in the holes if they've been messed with.

• denninmi
    11 years ago

Get a live trap and eliminate the problem as per your state laws. In most states, you are allowed to live trap nuisance animals of certain species, but are required to humanely dispatch them.

• MollyDog
    11 years ago

Trapping reminds me of a story. A friend trapped squirrels over an entire summer. He sprayed florescent orange on their tails and released them at his brother's house in the country. Finally there were enough orange-colored tails running around that his brother finally started to notice them...he knew immediately where they had to have come from. Brotherly pranks never end.

• jayco
    11 years ago

Where I am we have so many squirrels, chipmunks, rabbits, etc that trying to trap or kill them all would occupy all my gardening time.

• finchelover
    11 years ago

we've been fighting this critter for 3 weeks and finally this morning got the RIGHT one it was a groundhog so my hubby shot him...I hope thre is no more around

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    11 years ago

Sorry to hear that- he was just trying to live his life where God put him :(

I understand the frustration, really I do, but would have found a deterrent.

• Carole Westgaard
    11 years ago

I'm share your philosophy, cearbhaill - I hate the law of the jungle, too. And it kills me to accidentally chop a worm in half. Mr. or Mrs. Groundhog was just trying to survive - and maybe she was trying to feed her babies. I guess I'm an idiot.

Westy

• hudsonriverbug
    11 years ago

If your time is worth the $$$, PlantSkydd has a wonderful 'Shaker Bag' of small granules (bovine etc. blood) that has successfully eliminated the rabbit, squirrel etc. damage in my beds. I've been using the same bag for 2 years now, and don't sprinkle it overzealously.

Since it is a 'blood' product, it also breaks down into a good fertilizer and I've used it on top of Fall-planted bulbs (especially Tulips) to discourage the digging. This has got to be one of the best products ever invented!

Order it online if no Nursery in your area stocks it. HD and Lowes do not carry it----guess it's too effective and they can't sell enough of it or the manufacturer is just picky about their vendors.

• lam702
    11 years ago

Chipmunks are digging in my veggie garden, and have eaten up some of the seed I planted. I have it fenced in (6 ft chain link) but of course they can go right through the fence space. I didn't mind sharing a few seeds with them, they are so cute but I am concerned they might eat my beans and eat holes in my peppers and tomatoes to get at the seeds. Can we live in peace, or do I have to find some way to get them out of there? Whenever possible, I try to coexist peacefully (except with the woodchucks)

• jayco
    11 years ago

We also have many chipmunks and they can get into our vegetable garden. They generally do little damage, except they will eat low hanging tomatoes. I have not yet figured out a great way to keep this from happening. Probably putting netting around each plant would work. Let us know if you figure out something.