Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bellarosa009

Favorite drought tolerant plants

bellarosa
11 years ago

Hi everyone,

We are having a very dry Summer this year and it made me wonder about which plants are my favorite drought tolerant plants in my garden. Here's my list: salvia, monarda, sedum, Russian sage, lambs ear, catmint, daylilies and agastache.

What are some of your favorite drought tolerant plants?

Comments (13)

• denninmi
    11 years ago

I don't find bee balm very drought tolerant. Some of the other Monarda species are, though, such as horsemint and wild bergamot M. fistulosa.

I would also add yuccas, many of the hardy Euphorbia species, echinacea and some rudbeckias, echinops, lavender, of course any hardy cacti or succulent, Zauschneria, and many ornamental grasses.

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    11 years ago

In my own garden I notice the water conserving plants are Helianthus 'Lemon Queen', Heliopsis 'Tuscan Sun', Veronica 'Speedwell Royal Candles', Nepeta's 'Walkers Low' and of course Eryngium 'Big Blue'.

• bellarosa
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Rouge21, I forgot to mention Helianthus, Lemon Queen. That's a great plant and is definitely drought tolerant in my yard as are the ornamental grasses.

• a2zmom_Z6_NJ
    11 years ago

Lavender, Platycodon (balloon flower), Asclepias (butterfly weed) and Penstemon.

• franeli
    11 years ago

I'll add to the above lists that all of my
    sedums,creeping thyme, and big root geraniums have been tolerant of the present hot,dry conditions.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    11 years ago

As odd as it may sound Astilbe pumila does really well during drought years.

Kevin

• brandyray
    11 years ago

Oregano- very hardy, spreads into a large clump, stays green in winter, and has beautiful heads of bloom this time of year. Also, "Crazy Daisies" -given to me by a friend, so I don't know the actual name, but they get over 5 ft tall and flower the end of summer/fall and they spread. Yarrow (Achillea)- not the floppy type but the tall, sturdy ones, ("Gold Plate", I think)- love them. Gaillardia, too. Here, they not only have to deal w/ heat & humidity but they're also planted in sand.

• User
    11 years ago

verbascum,
    salvia greggii and other shrubby new world salvias
    limonium
    osteospermum jucundum
    nepeta (Various)
    centaurea
    althea cannabina
    verbena bonariensis
    indigofera
    eryngium
    toadflax
    linum
    sedum
    scabious columbaria and ochraleuca
    jasione
    gaura
    erodium chrysantha
    euphorbia myrsinites
    lavenders
    perovskia
    santolina
    arctotis
    erm, I know some of these are technically shrubs or sub-shrubs but they all grow in my no-watering gravel garden.

• bgaviator
    11 years ago

Well this is my first year at gardening, but I am really enjoying the Arizona Sun Gallardia.....the color is just awesome on these things.

• mori1
    11 years ago

Most of the ones already mentioned. We got hit with a bad heatwave for almost a month last year. Gaura was the only plant blooming its little head off.

• ATekk
    11 years ago

Since most of the ones I'd suggest have been mentioned I will throw in Asters, at least for me. Once they get going in their second year I barely have to do anything to them, watering included. Pinch them back twice early and then just let them do their thing.

• echinaceamaniac
    11 years ago

1.) Cactus
    2.) Yucca 'Color Guard'
    3,) Delosperma cooperi
    4.) Delosperma dyeri
    5.) Delosperma 'Lavender Ice'
    6.) Hesperaloe parviflora 'Brakelights'
    7.) Hesperaloe parviflora 'Yellow'
    8.) Kniphofia

• bellarosa
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'd also like to add helianthus, Lemon Queen and a rudbeckia nitida, Autumn Sun.