Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snaillover_gw

Is transplanting now out of the question?

So I finally decided on what to do with my existing perennial bed. I had a split rail fence installed across the front yard parallel to the road, and I want to move the flowers underneath it, and landscape it with shrubs, rocks, mulching and edging. The fence companies have been really backed up, so I had to wait several weeks. It was finally installed this week. It looks great, but I fear it may be too late to move anything now. Would it really hurt if I did it anyway? They're not getting enough sun where they are currently, and I really just want to finish the project. The temps have been pretty cool lately, but this weekend climbing to the high 70s, low 80s.

They're only being moved about 4 feet forward, but the new area is very sandy, so I'll have to bring in some planting soil first. It'll be a lot of work and I just want to get it done.

Flowers to be moved are: daisies, black-eyed Susans, daylilies, Asiatic lilies, orange pixie lillies, mums, lavender, a few others I have written down at home but can't remember at the moment...

Comments (15)

• shadeyplace
    9 years ago

You sound determined to do this now>>>just make sure you get a big ball of surrounding soil with each one and water, water water. Also it would be good to cover plants from mid day sun. I have moved things this time of year and had success but they most likely will not look GREAT til next year. JMO

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

sure it can be done...

the only real question is how good they will look for the rest of the year ...

i would NOT move anything in flower ... or anticipate losing the flowers...

so start by moving anything already done blooming ...

your base problem is the need for instant gratification .. think about what is best for the plant ...

nothing new was learned by not trying ... so go for it ...

but do understand.. you can do some now .. and some later ... there is no GARDEN reason .... for doing it all right now ...

ken

• SnailLover (MI - zone 5a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks shadeyplace. Lol, yes, I am determined to get it done. Good advice and I will follow it to the letter.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Ken, will do. I can wait on a few things. The Asiatic lilies are ready to bloom so I'll leave them alone for now.

• moliep
    9 years ago

Yes, I do transplant things at the end of June and into July.
    When I move things now, I use two shovels... one to dig up the plant and one to dig its new home. First I dig up the plant I'm going to move, making sure to get lots of soil around it as Shadyplace suggested. Then water this plant and its soil very well. Next I dig the new hole and fill that with water.... let the water drain through before replanting. Keep watering and provide shade if you feel the plants will get stressed.

Ken's right... they may not look too great for the rest of this season. Maybe you can fill in around them with some annuals if you want a more lush look?

Molie

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    9 years ago

No, it is not out of the question. Do it when you need to do it, but understand you may sacrifice flowers, and the plants may look cr*ppy the rest of the season, depending. If you can live with that, have at it.

The plants should be fine if you tend to them - shade from hot sun for a few days or a week (old pots with bottoms cut out, lawn chairs, rose cones -- whatever you have lying around that can provide shade) and keep well watered (but not over-watered).

I never understand the "you can't do this now" attitude - I garden on MY timetable, stuff gets done when I can get to it, barring any obvious reason I can't or shouldn't (e.g. the ground is frozen or sopping wet). I'm not saying certain seasons don't lend themselves better to certain chores, I'm just saying life gets in the way of "perfect timing" most of the time, at least around here.

• Ruth_MI
    9 years ago

I'm another "move it when I can" person. I often move stuff while it's flowering so I can see where I want it better. Moved a few blooming lilies (carefully!) this week, and they're still blooming fine.

One thing to watch with the lilies is that the bulbs may not be directly below the stalk. I try to get more dirt than I think I need and gently start leveraging it out so I can tell if this is going to be an issue.

Edited to add that the wire frames from election signs, if you can get any after an election, work well for staking, and also to throw on either side of transplants to throw a sheet over for shade.

This post was edited by ruth_mi on Thu, Jun 26, 14 at 22:11

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the advice! This is so helpful.

Could anyone help me ID a few? I know the daisies and on the lower left is Gaillardia x grandiflora that I planted last year. The rest I don't know if they're weeds or flowers. I'm thinking weeds, but I want to be sure before I yank them out. I circled the ones in question.

{{gwi:235864}}

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

The green plant looks like monarda and can't remember the purple's name but think it has yellow flowers, not a weed.

Edit: lysimachia 'Firecracker'

This post was edited by mnwsgal on Fri, Jun 27, 14 at 2:42

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    9 years ago

Yikes! The two on the left look like motherwort. It's already flowering so seeds aren't far off. If you don't want it all over your yard, pull it now! I speak from experience.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the ID help. I will get that motherwort out today! Glad the purple one isn't a weed - it did look rather promising. It wasn't there last year, wonder how it got there. Maybe I have a critter to thank.

• TNflowerlover Zone 7a
    9 years ago

I am dealing with high 80s to 90s this time of year, and I will plant stuff right now, if needed (such as plants on sale). I water daily for a week and do not often lose one. I am talking about scorching sun, too. If I can, I wait...if not, I go for it. Good luck and post pics when done! :)

• greenhearted Z5a IL
    9 years ago

I am planting/transplanting now. It isn't ideal but like mxk points out, sometimes life gets in the way of the perfect timeframe. So far, everyone is holding up ok. Just moved some daylilies in full bloom out of necessity. I would be shocked (and delighted) if I didn't have to cut them back.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Looks like temps will be back down to the high 60s & low 70s next weekend. I think I'll wait until then.

• yardenman
    9 years ago

You can transplant at any time. But the hotter the weather and the more the plant is growing, the bigger root ball you need to dig up. The idea is that the plant shouldn't really know its been moved. And watering in some low nitrogen high P and K will help (like 2-6-6).

I've moved a lot of plants when I "shouldn't have", and that seems to work best.

Sponsored
FineLine Kitchens, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Center Serving the DMV Area