Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eigdeh

Shasta Daisy Issues?

eigdeh
16 years ago

Bought Shasta Daisy's this year. They were doing fine for a month or so, but they started showing browning of the leaves. Anyone know what could cause this? I have not watered it much since the initial watering in. They have never shown signs of wilting either.

{{gwi:235911}}

Closeup of leaf:

{{gwi:235912}}

Also... I notice tons of bugs on the Daisy's and they do not seem to go on any of my other plants. Are Daisy's favorites for some beetles? Can anyone id these?

{{gwi:235913}}

{{gwi:235914}}

I have been spraying all my plants that the rabbits seem to like with a home made pepper spray. Could this be the problem? Though if it is it is specific to Daisy's since my other plants do not show anything like this. Well... two Lily's of mine have brown leaves too. :C(

Thanks!

Ken

Comments (23)

• aliska12000
    16 years ago

I don't know what it could be, but mine are blooming from seed I planted last year. Mine have a "raggedy ann" look, not unpleasing but expected the blooms to be more like yours. The foliage is wonderful, is not chomped on or damaged like so many of my other plants, but the blooms have dark spots in them here and there, smallish, maybe some of it is natural, but I think some of it is not. I don't like to spray but if things get too bad with my roses, I might if that will help.

• aliska12000
    16 years ago

My foliage is broader and rounded at the ends and so much denser than yours.

• eigdeh
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Aliska12000.

Can't comment on why our leaves are different, perhaps there are different types of Shasta's? Also... I just bought them a few months ago and they are single plants. Perhaps since yours are from seeds you have more plants per square foot?

• lindac
    16 years ago

If you have not watered since original transplanting....they are dry dry dry! Thyey don't have enough roots yet to deal with a even slightly low water supply.
    They need a drink! As I recall you are in South Jersey with sandy soil? water! Quick before it's too late!
    Linda C

• donn_
    16 years ago

"I have not watered it much since the initial watering in. They have never shown signs of wilting either."

I'm not saying lack of water is the cause of the browning leaves, because I think it would be more uniform browning if they were parched, but I find it interesting they don't wilt when they're dry. I use Shasta's as sentinels in several beds, because they faithfully wilt when they need water. I water the bed, and the Shasta's perk right up again. I have 5 different varieties, and they all behave the same way.

Have you had consistent rain, so they don't need additional water?

• aliska12000
    16 years ago

There are probably different types of daisies that are considered Shasta. Mine definitely wilt when they need water, seem rather shallow rooted, too. Maybe they are a little better now, but I water them regularly. Sometimes they perk up without watering when hot sun quits beating on them. Mine have to compete for water with a clump of nearby birches plus they are against the foundation, the soil was not conditioned properly before I planted them, the cement blocks painted white reflect the sun pretty bad, so I have to watch them.

I dug some up because they are crowding my one little Harison rose that survived, and I was going to give them to my granddaughter, but they wilted fast. I covered them with something moist, too. I guess if you are going to transplant them, you should do it in early spring or perhaps fall.

• carrie630
    16 years ago

The last picture - is that a bee? I have them too but I don't think they are bees/wasps.... Does anyone know what the insect is in the last picture?

Carrie

• eigdeh
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone.

First, I live in Central Jersey with Clay soil. I watered it religously when I first planted them. Once or twice since I watered the whole bed, but that was weeks ago. We have had rain a few times in recent weeks. Nothing is wilting in the garden so I assume all is well.

I planted 3 Daisy's and two are like the photos above and one is just fine. I am puzzled.

Ken

• chris_ont
    16 years ago

I'm guessing the large bug in the second image is a Pennsylvania Leatherbug aka Goldenrod Soldier Beetle - Chauliognathus pennsylvanicus
    http://davesgarden.com/bf/go/72/
    Beneficial insect (larvae eats other bugs).

No idea about the little guy.

Re. your daisy. It does look like damage caused by something external, ie. your spray. Perhaps combined with hot sun and little rain, it was too strong for the leaves this time of year.

• eigdeh
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the ID Chris! Tracy DiSabato-Aust mentions something about a soldier Beetle in her book Well-Tended Perennial Garden. I was wondering what they looked like as she mentioned that they were beneficial and to be careful not to harm them. :C)

I have an idea it is something external. I had no idea that Hot Pepper spray could harm plants. :c(

Ken

• purpledaisy
    16 years ago

Beetles like my shastas too :-)
    Mine are very tough. Sounds like your mix might be affecting them.
    Susie

{{gwi:235915}}

• chris_ont
    16 years ago

That one looks like a lady beetle, Anisosticta bitriangularis maybe.
    http://www.pbase.com/tmurray74/lady_beetles_genus_anisosticta

Is that a melting daisy? Something out of a Dali painting?
    :) :)

• carygardener
    16 years ago

Here are my shasta daisies... i hardly care for them...they are tough.. and bloom like crazy..most bang for your buck.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://photos-backyard.blogspot.com/

• eigdeh
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Very nice Daisy's carygardener! I did not expect mine to look anything like that this year. I planted 3 plants which consisted of a single stem coming out of the pot, but about 7 good stems branching out. I imagine after a season or two they will look like yours, I hope!

How long have you had yours?

• nycefarm_gw
    16 years ago

That last photo in the original post looks like a firefly to me.

• bluebird1019
    16 years ago

I think I got the same bad batch of shasta daisies as you did. I got my at Home Depot on Mothers Day. They looked great when I purchased them. I brought them home and planted right away a few days later the flowers looked raggedy and had bugs on them. None of my other flowers in that bed had them. Sprayed them with a soap spray and that seemed to take care of the bugs but they are going down hill. They are about half dead and only have maybe one flower and a bud or two. I am very disappointed and have thought about returning them even thought they were really cheap but it is just the point. Unfortunately do not have the receipt anymore :o( On a happy note...I bought Margarite Daisies from Walmart a litte bit before these and they are wonderful. Tons of flowers and new buds.

Has anyone else had trouble with plant purchased from HD? I never seem to have any luck with plants from them. I usually almost only purchase from Lowes and occassionally Walmart.

• eigdeh
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well... mine did not come from HD. They came for a local nursery. I was there the other day and theirs looked fine. Actually one out of the three of mine look fine. I do think it may have been the hot pepper spray that did some damage. Good news though is that there is nice new greenery coming out of the soil, so there might be hope.

Good luck with yours.

• carygardener
    16 years ago

Thanks eigdeh. Mine were started by seed(10c packets!) in early spring 2006. Transplanted most of them fall last year.
    I am sure a plant like Shasta daisy will eventually take care of itself. You can accelerate their growth by good soil, dead heading, fertilizing, etc.

• happyintexas
    16 years ago

My Shasta's sometimes get a fungus type disease at the same time my suceptible roses get black spot. I spray with an anti-fungal spray in the cool of the morning. It seems to help a little.

Make sure you water from below, no water on the leaves.

I had a bunch that seemed to be going downhill like you describe. One fall I dug and divided them and transplanted most into new areas. They have bounced back and are growing gangbusters.

• ellen_z7ny
    16 years ago

What else are you putting in your spray? It could be the surfactant. A lot of people will tell you to use dish soap as a spreader-sticker, but it will burn if applied repeatedly, as will other soaps. I have found that the natural oils from garlic itself can burn (you had said you were using garlic at one point). You're not spraying other than in the coolest times of day, are you? If you spray in the morning, but it hasn't dried by the time the sun gets hot on the plants, that could do it too.

• a2zmom_Z6_NJ
    16 years ago

eigdeh, where are you located? I'm in Morris County (Randolph). Nothing like digging in clay soil!

• eigdeh
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Carygardener, I think you convinced me to start my plants from seed. I paid a good price for the 3 Daisy plants I bought.

Thanks Happyintexas! Good news is that at the base of the problem plants there is nice new green growth!

Thanks Ellen, At the beginning of the season I sprinkled garlic powder at the base of plants to keep the rabbits away. I worked for a while. This was before the Daisy's though. I do though put some Garlic powder in the pepper spray since I know the rabbits don't like it. I have not sprayed the daisy's for a while now and they are coming back at the base. As far as ingredients the only thing I put in the solution is pepper and garlic. I read about soap and egg whites. Never liked the idea of soap and did not like the idea of spoiled spray that I imagine would be caused by the egg whites. It seems to work on all but the viola's that I have. The rabbits just love the flowers of the Viola for some reason. I spray in the evening.

A2zmom, I live in Mercer County. My raised garden the soil is a dream. I spent a lot of time working on the soil. The other gardens I amended pretty well. It is a real drag digging in areas other than the gardens, especially when it has not rained in a long time. It is as hard as cement!

Ken

• pontesmanny
    16 years ago

Ken:

I live in South Jersey so climate is somewhat similar. I planted 3 cultivars of Shasta daisy about 7 years. Two went downhill and did not make it past the first winter. The other one, Becky, I believe, has thrived and spread. It does not receive any irrigation or fertilizer

I really need to divide my clump. This Jan, because of the mild temps (60s) they started new growth. I trasplanted one and it survived the cold of Feb and has started growing.

I would recommend Becky. It tolerates shade well.

pontesmanny

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists