Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Perennial or Annual Hibiscus?

Posted by hudsonriverbug NY (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 28, 09 at 12:43

I got some seed pods shaped like large Hicory Nuts, and inside each 'lobe' were 6-8 dark brown seeds. Having seen the large flowers last year, I know that these were growing on individual, 3' tall large-leaved plants, not a 'hibiscus' or Rose of Sharon tree. My Mother in Law in Northern Indiana called them 'hibiscus'---large white flowers, about 5" across, but I can't find similar pictures on the Web. She had gotten some roots from a friend the year before, and didn't know if the plants were annual or perennial.

It seems late to finally try to get the seeds to germinate, but if they at least start to grow and maybe return next year it will be worth it. Or, if they are simply some kind of self-seeding annual, I may freeze the seeds and start fresh next spring.

Would anyone possibly know what this plant is, and if it is an annual or perennial?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Perennial or Annual Hibiscus?

They are perennial hibiscus, look up Mallow, their other name, and you will find the pics that you are looking for.

o

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 28, 09 at 20:40

Hi,
It is Hibiscus moscheutos. THey come in various shades of white, pink, and red.
Remy

Here is a link that might be useful: Hibiscus moscheutos pics

o

Thanks so much! Sure enough, the pics showed exactly what I saw last summer. Gonna plant those seeds now and let them at least get going before the snow flies!

o

Just FYI:

H. moscheutos, aka Rose Mallow, is the main herbaceous perennial species, although most of the newer varieties are hybrids of this one and others. These are typically hardy to zone 5.

H. rosa-sinensis is the "tropical" house or patio plant. There are dozens of varieties.

H. syriacus is the shrub aka Rose of Sharon.

FWIW, one of my favourite of the hardy perennial types, is a white-flowered form called 'Blue River II'. The flowers were pure white, and they continued for an extended period compared with others.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here