Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aachenelf

Love, love Veronica Royal Candles

aachenelf z5 Mpls
11 years ago

Last year I purchased a 6 pack of various Veronica from Bluestone. They were tiny and didn't do a whole lot all summer, but this year I'm seeing results. My favorite to date is Royal Candles. Everyone who's been stopping over to my garden has commented on how much they love this plant.

I think it's been in bloom for at least a couple of weeks now and has gone through some very severe weather without incident. The first blooming on other Veronica has come and gone, but this one is hanging in there.

Has this been a keeper for others? Reblooming?

Kevin

{{gwi:236588}}

Comments (83)

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    11 years ago

kimka, for sure go for it i.e. try them in psun. There is no way that one I posted earlier in this thread gets 6 hours of sun...probably more like...4 to maybe 5 hours. As you have mentioned I have full sun plants that perform just fine for me in around 4 hours of direct sunshine.

(Btw, can you give me an example or two of plants that only thrive in *8* hours of sun?! I find it hard to believe that which is 'accomplished' in 8 hours can't be done in 6).

• kimka
    11 years ago

Hoolyhocks for one. Especially with old fashioned varieties, I just can't get much in the way of blooms, although I grow great foliage. With Missouri primrose, my flowering is so sparse it just isn't worth growing, although the foiliage looks ok.

But I will plan on giving RC a try.

• debbiecz3
    11 years ago

I have Royal Candles planted in a north east facing bed which gets no more than 4 hours of morning sun and it is quite shaded by a large gold standard hosta next to it; it has been blooming away for a while now so definately will tolerate part shade. The blue really contrasts nicely with the yellow of the hosta; this is definately a winner plant.

• TNflowerlover Zone 7a
    11 years ago

Ok, I want some! I am in NC 7b. It sounds limited it blooms in June and then possibly again in late July/early August. Is that correct?

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, that is correct. I can't give you an exact date it started blooming, but my photo was taken on June 19 and it had been in bloom for a long time already. The first blooming also lasted a very long time. The 2nd blooming appeared shortly after it was sheared back.

Kevin

• TNflowerlover Zone 7a
    11 years ago

Thanks! That sounds good. I think these must be what I have seen around town with pink/red vinca planted in front. How tall/wide do they get? I know I can look around online, but real-life answers are more accurate. :)

11 years ago

And this is another plus (for me) for this plant i.e. it is upright and compact. The widest one I have is about 14" across and 16" tall including flowers.

• TNflowerlover Zone 7a
    11 years ago

That's shorter than I thought, which is great! Thanks!!!

11 years ago

Kevin started this thread in mid June and it is still going today! The picture below shows one of my RC as of this morning. Of course it is not nearly as full and healthy as it was during the June bloom but it has had this second flush of flowers for now about one month! (see my picture above showing the very start of this second set of flowers for this exact same plant as of July 30th).

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That's about exactly how mine looks today. It really is quite a remarkable bloomer. I'm going to cut it back once again and see what happens. I bet I have flowers until frost.

Kevin

11 years ago

UPDATE:

Here is "Royal Candles" as of today (October 8):

• wizfan90
    11 years ago

Mines look just the same. Wonder what would happen if I would cut it back.

11 years ago

Good to know wizfan90 but realize although it is showing similarly to yours mine is doing "it" in a zone 5 climate even after a week of cold overnight temperatures and a frost just last evening.

(With you being in Zone 7 there well might be time for it to rebloom...give it a try).

• sunnyborders
    11 years ago

Question of wider interest than just this cultivar.

'Royal Candles' is a patented plant and unlicensed propagation is prohibited.

Propagation (likely by an individual gardener purchaser of the plant) and/or passing the cultivar on in a swap (no money involved) are mentioned above.

Are plant patents relevant in such situations?

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I did cut mine back the end of August, but it didn't rebloom this time around. I'm not complaining since it virtually bloomed all summer.

Kevin

11 years ago

This thread has continued now 4 months. Prior to Kevin beginning this post I had 3 RC in my garden (this was their second season). And now near the close of this thread I will have purchased *4* more RC! They have been placed mostly at the border for one of our gardens.

I am curious if other GW readers also made this plant purchase this season because of the many glowing reports seen here.

11 years ago

'Sunny' I do encourage you to start a new thread re plant patents and "ins and outs" of plant propagation. I would be interested in reading about such things as I know little about it.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    11 years ago

rouge

In regards to recommendations on this forum in general, this is probably the first place I look when I'm thinking of buying a new plant. I want to see what "real" people are saying about such-and-such a plant and I find the comments invaluable. Thanks everyone.

Kevin

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

All of my veronicas brown out at the bottoms and get powdery mildew late summer. Do you have problems with that?

11 years ago

Me too Kevin re making purchasing decisions based upon GW member 'real life' experience. But it was a bit odd that I already had 3 RC in my garden prior to you starting this thread but posts here got me thinking to add more...which I did.

11 years ago

mnwsgal, if you look at the picture I posted just above (Oct. 8), there is no mildew but the foliage is definitely thinning out but that is to be expected given the lateness in the season.

Do you have a "Royal Candles"?

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    11 years ago

For me, the only veronica that has the browning, lower leaves is Sunny Border Blue which is a new development this year. I know others have mentioned this one seems prone to this, but this is the first year it's happened in my garden. I blame it on the fact another plant near-by really grew this year and shaded Sunny a bit too much. I'll move it next year and see what happens. Other than that, my veronica are very clean and problem free.

I've also read drought and stress can be a big factor in this lower leaf browning and mildew problems. And as you know, 2 months with no rain to speak of as we've been experiencing is definitely drought conditions.

Kevin

• wizfan90
    11 years ago

@rouge I'm going to cut mine back tomorrow to see if it does anything. Thanx for the suggestion.

• Easy69
    10 years ago

Awesome information in this post! Thank you all so much for sharing your knowledge! This is my first post here but I'm no stranger to plants. I am an avid greenthumb and simply LOVE growing anything that allows me the pleasure :)
    Today I bought some of these lovely plants from my local Lowe's store to plant for my wife for her birthday, and I must say that they are absolutely beautiful plants! I am so excited to see the results of my labors.
    I saw a few posts about this plant having minor issues with reblooming and I wonder if a good shot of high phosphate fertilizer might not help this lovely plant produce magnificently after shearing? Since I'm new here, I figured I would just throw that on the table for thought, Thanks again for the awesome tips and pics :)

10 years ago

Good to see you benefitting from this thread. Those look like good specimens. But it appears they are (too) close together as you can expect them to grow at least 12" across when fully mature.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes I agree.

IMO this is one of the best places to see what others have to say about a particular plant. I base a lot of my plant choices on what I read here.

Kevin

10 years ago

I am betting that *many* GW did purchase VRC last year because of this thread. Heck I purchased more and I already had several!

• Easy69
    10 years ago

Thanks for the advice on spacing, rouge. Yeah, I did plant them a bit close but I wanted a mass of purple flowers this year to grow under the trellis (to the left, right and above these Veronicas which can't be seen in the picture) that I have Crimson Mandevillas growing on :) I'll transplant the Veronicas once they start to crowd each other and probably spread them around to other areas of my landscaping since I just LOVE them!

• domino123
    10 years ago

I too had Royal candles, and two other varieties in my WI rich black but clayish soil, and they all petered out on me after a few years. Going to try them again in my new sandy soil.

• Carolina Girl (Zone 8b)
    7 years ago

I'm jumping into this thread. weeeeeeeee

Last year I bought a Veronica First Love and it looked lovely for about three months. Then it went downhill and deteriorated and died. I watered it regularly throughout the heat wave we had, so I know it wasn't lack of water. Could it have been because I just removed the spent blooms and didn't cut it back some?

At any rate, I am going to try one again, but this one is a 'Veronique Blue' Speedwell. Anyone have this one?

I'm in zone 8b, so my summers are Hot, Humid and very sunny.

• LaLennoxa 6a/b Hamilton ON
    7 years ago

Hey Rouge, according to the timeline of this thread, by now you should have a VRC farm! I know someone who could probably find the perfect spot for a 'gift' even though he probably has no room whatsoever to put another plant in his postage stamp-sized front garden... :-) Another add to 'the list'...

7 years ago

Actually I think I may have 3 RC still in the garden. They do fine but with a small garden I too often move/remove and replace so as to keep things interesting ;).

7 years ago

Northland Nursery is listing it in their inventory, so now I can add a potential purchase location to 'the list'.

7 years ago

You will have no problem finding RC this season.

7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Especially since you will be giving me a division! :-)

6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Update:

I keep this thread going in recognition of long time GW member (but long time missing), aachenelf.

6 years ago

[I was able to finally buy a pot in a recent clearance sale![(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/let-the-2017-clearance-deals-begin-dsvw-vd~4716147)

6 years ago

Then we look forward to seeing you post a picture or two next season LaLennoxa and so continuing this worthwhile thread.

6 years ago

I really appreciate it that RC is so very hardy. Anecdotally, I had dug up one last August (not the one pictured!) and threw it into a flimsy plastic nursery pot I had lying around . I intended to give it to a friend for their garden but forgot. It was outside all winter in this not good pot with not much soil and it easily survived.

• catkinZ8a
    6 years ago

Missing Kevin :(

• sunnyborders
    6 years ago

Royal Candles: name.

Confusing but apparently the name Royal Candles is a synonym of 'Glory'; name published in the Plantsman in 2002 (RHS). The U.S, patent is for Veronica spicata 'Glory'.

http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/PlantFinder/PlantFinderDetails.aspx?kempercode=a314

6 years ago

Thanks 'Sunny'. I recall, possibly incorrectly, that RC was first propagated and subsequently named in England.

• sunnyborders
    6 years ago

Was Rouge, great plant, from a seedling discovered in a garden in Kent, parents unknown.

Guess the thing is that no one (including no business) can own the horticultural name of a cultivar.

6 years ago

Rouge, will definitely add pics next season when RC comes back established! Perhaps someone can help me on this one. When I bought my first 1g plant a few weeks ago (not the clearance one mentioned above) it was in full bloom from a nursery. I actually hated buying it as such because I know it's been greenhouse grown and pumped up and quite out of sync with the season. But it was the first place I had seen it. Got it home separated into two, sorry patent police. The stems were really woody, as were the roots, more like shrub. Is that how it grows? As I thought, the full blooms turned brown and spent after a few days of being planted. But where I had divided has started pushing up new, fresh growth from the base. I'm now wondering if this new growth will flower later in the season?

• Frances Chute Quinn
    6 years ago

i love this plant, it bloomed and bloomed for months and i would deadhead and it would bloom again. it is also a very showy plant.....i had two of the veronica candles in containers and have now moved to the garden ground area .

• teuth
    6 years ago

Can anyone tell me if hummingbirds like veronica?

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    6 years ago

I haven't noticed them visiting mine. I do have hummingbirds every summer and have a V. Royal Candles near the front walk and have not ever seen them visiting it even though they visit nearby plants such as Heuchera/coral bells, trumpet honeysuckle/Lonicera sempervirens 'Major Wheeler', Alcea/hollyhocks, monkshood/Aconitum, Salvia 'Black and Blue' and columbine/Aquilegia canadensis. YMMV.

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    3 years ago

Absolutely love RC. Thanks for the tips on propagation. I will try it this weekend.

3 years ago

I'd really like to know what ever happened to GW member aachenelf/Kevin.

• Jameszone7a Philadelphia
    last year

Just bought my first 2 royal candles and 2 red fox. Wish this site was as active as it used to be. No better site for gardening knowledge