Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Love, love Veronica Royal Candles

Posted by aachenelf z5 Mpls, MN (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 19, 12 at 13:18

Last year I purchased a 6 pack of various Veronica from Bluestone. They were tiny and didn't do a whole lot all summer, but this year I'm seeing results. My favorite to date is Royal Candles. Everyone who's been stopping over to my garden has commented on how much they love this plant.

I think it's been in bloom for at least a couple of weeks now and has gone through some very severe weather without incident. The first blooming on other Veronica has come and gone, but this one is hanging in there.

Has this been a keeper for others? Reblooming?

Kevin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Love, love Veronica Royal Candles

I love it too...It's so easy to rip a stem out and make more of them too.

o

I was just looking at mine this week thinking I need to get more. Love the long blooming period and how upright the stems stay. A winner.

o

Ech - Thanks for the tip about propagation. I do need more of these.

I was noticing today how wonderful this Veronica would look with Echinacea Hot Papaya. Unfortunately I didn't plant them together, but both are blooming right now at opposite sides of the bed. I might have to do some moving around next spring.

Kevin

o

Kevin, with the internet it is a much smaller world. After seeing your post and picture I went out into my garden and snapped a picture showing my second summer Veronica Speedwell (Dwarf) next to a 'Red Hot Poker' and in behind you can spy some Sweet William Heart Attack.

Last summer I did deadhead and this did result in more 'candles'.

o

OMG! Those colors together are heart stoppers! Wonderful.

K

o

Wow, is it really as blue as it appears on my screen?

I have grown a few veronicas and been impressed by none. But this one looks like it's different!

o

jayco

That photo was taken before the sun was really up, so it does have a different quality to it. I wouldn't call it a blue, but it is very different from most of the usual purple stuff out there. Hints of blue maybe? I haven't quite figured out what to call it yet, but the color is very captivating.

Kevin

o

Thanks -- you've convinced me -- I think I need it now!

o

I got one last fall too, so this plant is new for me. I just trimmed off the blooms and am hoping for rebloom. I would love to propagate it. Please explain how to "rip a stem out and make more of them."

Thank you.

o

I just wlggle them back and forth and they usually come off with roots. I plant them in a shadier spot until they are established. I did several last year and all took.

o

Thanks. I will give it a try and see what happens. Are there other perennials that can be propagated in this way?

o

I was reading this morning that Veronica are one of the super easy plants to propagate via cuttings. Having had great success with a bunch of Sedum this spring, I'm going to give it a try.

Kevin

o

Y'all are making me covet Veronica! Now, stop it! :-)

Cameron

o

Coreopsis and Heleniums root this way too. In early Spring I do Echinacea cuttings this way as well.

o

Another thing I like about these `Royal Candles` is that they are not water needy. They have held up superbly during our current dry, humid hot spell without supplemental water.

o

I am getting into veronicas this year. I like Royal Candles too. It's DEFINITELY NOT a true blue color, but still quite pretty and so far it seems to be easy to grow.

o

summersunshine

I'm getting into them too. Last year I added the following, but this is the first year they've done anything, so I'm still in the process of evaluating.

Red Fox
Icicle
Giles Van Hees
Royal Candles
Crater Lake Blue
Georgia Blue

I can't say I'm disappointed in any except Crater Lake Blue, but the verdict still isn't in. They've all grown well, but Royal Candles and Georgia Blue have been outstanding IMO. I also love the color of Red Fox - nice and intense. Crater Lake - too short a blooming and a bit floppy, but we'll see.

Kevin

o

I used to grow Royal Candles but it petered out for me after a few years. Right now I am growing Eveline which I love. It's one of my favorite plants. Flowers profusely and each spike lasts a long, long time. Here's a picture:

It's paired with Achillea "Pommegranite", Salvia "Plumosa" and Rose campion.

o

Very nice picture a2zmom.

What I like about Royal Candles is the tightness/density of the 'candles'...a bit unique.

o

Love Royal Candles, some years I've had two reblooms. Now that's a keeper plant.

o

a2zmom - love that plant combination!

kevin - i love veronica's. i have pink ones, definately need royal candles. thanks for enabling!

rouge21 - love that sweet william heart attack. do you see hummingbirds on that flower?

Jodi

o

Thanks jodi. No I have yet to see any hummingbirds at it. And now the flowers are starting to get quite 'ratty'. The show has finished for the season for these "Williams".

But there have been several neighbours that have asked me for a division of this plant. In full bloom it is impressive.

o

I was so thrilled to read this post. I got royal candles, evaline and twilight last year at a swap, and really wanted more of each. I ran right out and took stems of each and have them planted. Each stem came out with some roots attached. That was soooo easy! :-)

thanks for posting this!!

o

Today I found royal candles, so i bought the last 2, and also picked up heart attack dianthus. The pictures just don't do them justice.

Thanks to all you enablers! Now I just need to figure out where to plant them, and all the other plants I bought today.

Jodi

o

UPDATE: Of course my 'R Candles' have been finished for awhile now and so I had pruned them right back. (As I recall from last year they will give some 'reduced' blooms sometime in August.)

Anyways my Veronica 'Hocus Pocus' had bloomed in the meantime but it is now finishing up, But for sure I like 'Candles' much better than 'HP'. 'HP' is much larger and more sprawling and for me kind of messy.

I think next spring I will replace the two 'HP' with two 'RC'.

o

Just to continue on enabling -- I think I saw Royal Candles on special at Santa Rosa Gardens. Too cheap to pass up! My Giles Van Hess is blooming now -- but it's become so short and squat. I had to move it the edges of the beds.
lucia

o

After shearing it back a couple of weeks ago, RC is reblooming now. I must admit, this time around the flowers aren't as impressive - kind of short and squat - but there are still lots of 'em.

It really has remained a very neat and tidy plant. That I appreciate.

Kevin

o

silvergirl426 wrote: Just to continue on enabling -- I think I saw Royal Candles on special at Santa Rosa Gardens.

And just this morning I picked up two very fine RC specimens at my local independent nursery. I came home and quickly replaced the 2 Veronica 'Hocus Pocus'. I gave both away to neighbours.

silvergirl426 wrote:

My Giles Van Hess is blooming now -- but it's become so short and squat. I had to move it the edges of the beds.

Earlier this summer I dug out two Veronica 'Sweet Lullaby' (seedling of 'Giles van Hees'?). They were much too small and taking too long to grow up and start to bloom.

o

Kevin, I took a shot of the re-bloom for one of my RC. Every bloom you see is a new one as I had sheared it completely probably 3 weeks back. It is actually better than I had first thought. What do you think?

It really is a superb perennial.

o

Yup, that looks a lot like mine right now, but don't you find the flower spikes to be much shorter than the first blooming? That's not a huge deal and maybe it has something to do with the perspective of your photo. It appears you took that photo looking down at the plant. That would make the spikes look short. Again, it's still a great plant.

Kevin

o

Yes they are shorter than the first flush but there seem to be just as many flowers and so it is still a worthwhile colour addition to the garden now in early August.

o

I'm in love with this plant too, such a vibrant color. Thanks for the tip on propagating Ech I'd certainly like more of these plants, I've looked but the garden centers I go to don't seem to have it this year so at least now I know I can make more easily.

Annette

o

Is anyone growing RC in part sun rather than full sun? Does it still bloom at all? I have no full sun and usually have sun envy and sun lust. I've been surprised at how many full sun plants will do OK in part sun if I am willing to accept less bloom that full sun would bring. Other "full sunners" won't bloom at all without 8 hours or more of sun.

But I love the color and style of this.

o

kimka, for sure go for it i.e. try them in psun. There is no way that one I posted earlier in this thread gets 6 hours of sun...probably more like...4 to maybe 5 hours. As you have mentioned I have full sun plants that perform just fine for me in around 4 hours of direct sunshine.

(Btw, can you give me an example or two of plants that only thrive in *8* hours of sun?! I find it hard to believe that which is 'accomplished' in 8 hours can't be done in 6).

o

Hoolyhocks for one. Especially with old fashioned varieties, I just can't get much in the way of blooms, although I grow great foliage. With Missouri primrose, my flowering is so sparse it just isn't worth growing, although the foiliage looks ok.

But I will plan on giving RC a try.

o

I have Royal Candles planted in a north east facing bed which gets no more than 4 hours of morning sun and it is quite shaded by a large gold standard hosta next to it; it has been blooming away for a while now so definately will tolerate part shade. The blue really contrasts nicely with the yellow of the hosta; this is definately a winner plant.

o

Ok, I want some! I am in NC 7b. It sounds limited it blooms in June and then possibly again in late July/early August. Is that correct?

o

Ok, I want some! I am in NC 7b. It sounds limited it blooms in June and then possibly again in late July/early August. Is that correct?

o

Yes, that is correct. I can't give you an exact date it started blooming, but my photo was taken on June 19 and it had been in bloom for a long time already. The first blooming also lasted a very long time. The 2nd blooming appeared shortly after it was sheared back.

Kevin

o

Thanks! That sounds good. I think these must be what I have seen around town with pink/red vinca planted in front. How tall/wide do they get? I know I can look around online, but real-life answers are more accurate. :)

o

And this is another plus (for me) for this plant i.e. it is upright and compact. The widest one I have is about 14" across and 16" tall including flowers.

o

That's shorter than I thought, which is great! Thanks!!!

o

Kevin started this thread in mid June and it is still going today! The picture below shows one of my RC as of this morning. Of course it is not nearly as full and healthy as it was during the June bloom but it has had this second flush of flowers for now about one month! (see my picture above showing the very start of this second set of flowers for this exact same plant as of July 30th).

o

That's about exactly how mine looks today. It really is quite a remarkable bloomer. I'm going to cut it back once again and see what happens. I bet I have flowers until frost.

Kevin

o

UPDATE:

Here is "Royal Candles" as of today (October 8):

o

Mines look just the same. Wonder what would happen if I would cut it back.

o

Good to know wizfan90 but realize although it is showing similarly to yours mine is doing "it" in a zone 5 climate even after a week of cold overnight temperatures and a frost just last evening.

(With you being in Zone 7 there well might be time for it to rebloom...give it a try).

o

Question of wider interest than just this cultivar.

'Royal Candles' is a patented plant and unlicensed propagation is prohibited.

Propagation (likely by an individual gardener purchaser of the plant) and/or passing the cultivar on in a swap (no money involved) are mentioned above.

Are plant patents relevant in such situations?

o

I did cut mine back the end of August, but it didn't rebloom this time around. I'm not complaining since it virtually bloomed all summer.

Kevin

o

This thread has continued now 4 months. Prior to Kevin beginning this post I had 3 RC in my garden (this was their second season). And now near the close of this thread I will have purchased *4* more RC! They have been placed mostly at the border for one of our gardens.

I am curious if other GW readers also made this plant purchase this season because of the many glowing reports seen here.

o

'Sunny' I do encourage you to start a new thread re plant patents and "ins and outs" of plant propagation. I would be interested in reading about such things as I know little about it.

o

rouge

In regards to recommendations on this forum in general, this is probably the first place I look when I'm thinking of buying a new plant. I want to see what "real" people are saying about such-and-such a plant and I find the comments invaluable. Thanks everyone.

Kevin

o

All of my veronicas brown out at the bottoms and get powdery mildew late summer. Do you have problems with that?

o

Me too Kevin re making purchasing decisions based upon GW member 'real life' experience. But it was a bit odd that I already had 3 RC in my garden prior to you starting this thread but posts here got me thinking to add more...which I did.

o

mnwsgal, if you look at the picture I posted just above (Oct. 8), there is no mildew but the foliage is definitely thinning out but that is to be expected given the lateness in the season.

Do you have a "Royal Candles"?

o

For me, the only veronica that has the browning, lower leaves is Sunny Border Blue which is a new development this year. I know others have mentioned this one seems prone to this, but this is the first year it's happened in my garden. I blame it on the fact another plant near-by really grew this year and shaded Sunny a bit too much. I'll move it next year and see what happens. Other than that, my veronica are very clean and problem free.

I've also read drought and stress can be a big factor in this lower leaf browning and mildew problems. And as you know, 2 months with no rain to speak of as we've been experiencing is definitely drought conditions.

Kevin

o

@rouge I'm going to cut mine back tomorrow to see if it does anything. Thanx for the suggestion.

o

Awesome information in this post! Thank you all so much for sharing your knowledge! This is my first post here but I'm no stranger to plants. I am an avid greenthumb and simply LOVE growing anything that allows me the pleasure :)
Today I bought some of these lovely plants from my local Lowe's store to plant for my wife for her birthday, and I must say that they are absolutely beautiful plants! I am so excited to see the results of my labors.
I saw a few posts about this plant having minor issues with reblooming and I wonder if a good shot of high phosphate fertilizer might not help this lovely plant produce magnificently after shearing? Since I'm new here, I figured I would just throw that on the table for thought, Thanks again for the awesome tips and pics :)

o

Good to see you benefitting from this thread. Those look like good specimens. But it appears they are (too) close together as you can expect them to grow at least 12" across when fully mature.

o

Yes I agree.

IMO this is one of the best places to see what others have to say about a particular plant. I base a lot of my plant choices on what I read here.

Kevin

o

I am betting that *many* GW did purchase VRC last year because of this thread. Heck I purchased more and I already had several!

o

Thanks for the advice on spacing, rouge. Yeah, I did plant them a bit close but I wanted a mass of purple flowers this year to grow under the trellis (to the left, right and above these Veronicas which can't be seen in the picture) that I have Crimson Mandevillas growing on :) I'll transplant the Veronicas once they start to crowd each other and probably spread them around to other areas of my landscaping since I just LOVE them!

o

I too had Royal candles, and two other varieties in my WI rich black but clayish soil, and they all petered out on me after a few years. Going to try them again in my new sandy soil.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here