Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_max

Cutting back Catmint

mary_max
15 years ago

I just love this stuff!! so when I was cutting it back I thought I would love more of it. Can the cuttings just be stuck in the ground where I would like new plants this time of year or does it need to be in full shade? Thanks so much for helping me out on this.

Comments (12)

• lindac
    15 years ago

Keep it moist and in the shade and I'll bet you will get some "kittens". Then transplant them to where you want.
    Linda C

• DYH
    15 years ago

Catmint (nepeta) is one of my favorite plants. I even wrote an entire blog article on nepeta. I have Walkers Low, Six Hills Giant, Dawn to Dusk, and some of the subsessillis.

I cut mine back after the bloom. I use a cordless Black & Decker "Hedgehog" trimmer to make it easy to cut all those stems and shape it.

I sometimes get kids alongside the mother plants. However, it is a real easy thing to divide in the early spring when you first see green.

Cameron (usually on the Cottage Garden and Carolina Forums)

Here is a link that might be useful: nepeta info

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    15 years ago

You can also get new plants by "nibbling" a piece out of the side--just cut it out with a sharp spade. No need to dig the whole plant.

• DYH
    15 years ago

Right -- I don't dig up the plant. I just cut out a chunk, too. It still mounds up nicely.

When I say I trim mine back, I just trim off the blooms when they have faded and maybe a bit more of the foliage, but keeping the mounded shape. I don't cut nepeta straight across at all.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    15 years ago

I have half a dozen or so Walkers Low and I cut them back hard after blooming. I think it makes for a neater looking plant for the rest of the season.

• aliska12000
    15 years ago

I've got some ready to transplant. Do they prefer sun, part shade or total shade?

• DYH
    15 years ago

Sun gives the best performance. They can take a little part shade, but not bloom as well.

I cut mine back hard in fall or early spring, but I don't cut them back hard after the first bloom. I'll try it on a few this year to see the difference. (As we enter a 7 day forecast of 97-99 degree heat with no rain, I'll have to wait a week or so to try this.)

• aliska12000
    15 years ago

Thank you, will put in one of my sunniest spots left. Sorry about the heat for you, we get it, too, but usually in Jul/Aug, then breaks from it usually. The temps are finally normal for this time of year here but so much rain! But there is a plus to that, too, plants are getting off to a good start.

• grinder12000
    15 years ago

I'm pretty new to REAL gardening. My very first garden was by my mail box with Catmint, Salvia and Seduim and even in it's 2nd year people are wowing over the beauty.

I had some that did not survive being in heavy clay and heavy rain in the back yard garden but . . . others are surviving.

I did not know I could cut and replant - Thanks

{{gwi:236601}}

• aliska12000
    15 years ago

I had a gal jug of it and just planted it out, broke it into about 5 chunks (that grew pretty dense), and it flopped right onto the ground once I got it in the holes.

I had opened the jugs a couple weeks ago and set it in part sun, so it's had plenty of time to get stronger. The plants had gotten about 3-5" tall.

Maybe it is better to scoop them out when they are smaller. I can try to stake them or if the tops die off, maybe it will send up some new shoots, I can hope anyway, would hate to lose it all. It's been crazy windy all day, and I hate to plant when it's sunny and hot, but waited until evening when it has cooled off a bit. Things I plant on cloudy days seem to do better, but I don't have the time left to wait for cloudy days for everything.

Also planted 2 jugs of rudbeckia in one clump each (afraid to mess with breaking it up because not too many came up), 1 jug of crazy daisy in one clump, not very many of that either, and uncovered all my deli containers because it is getting hot.

I don't know how in the heck I'm going to mulch that long strip, I'm trying to plant randomly with but with them more or less grouped by height & color. I'm doing lots of annual salvia, too, did well for me last year, but haven't tried any sedum yet. I think there are some perennial varieties, too, but I'll see what things do this year. First pretty iris, darn wind knocked it over.

Thanks for posting the pic. It's a nice splash of color.

Most of this, whatever does grow on, I can always divide it and make more plants if it gets thicker.

• angelcub
    15 years ago

Aliska, they can flop when they're young and take a month or so after planting to get their manners and sit up straight. : )

Most of mine get afternoon shade and don't mind it a bit but I am at a mile high elevation with very strong sunlight. They've been blooming at least 3 months. I grow our native CA. poppies next to them in yellow, pink and orange.
    {{gwi:176902}}

{{gwi:236602}}

Diana

• aliska12000
    15 years ago

Diana, ooooh, that looks so pretty. I'm not big on CA poppies, well mainly the orange ones, but I love the color of those. What are they and will they grow in my zone (I can try to google if you know the variety).

I love CA poppies in CA lol where you see the photos of acres and acres of them. I don't believe they are native here. I'm growing some larger purple ones in front, hope they turn out. They "took" and are starting to put out new growth. I think they don't require much water, but I have to water the other stuff where they are.

Thanks for the reassurance about the catmint flopping. I'll water around them but not on them and try not to overdo that.

I'm really concerned about the weeds in that long strip, that awful grass. I have 4 or 5 roses to go in there yet (not sure where to put one) and 7 lilies, one blue phlox, so maybe when I get that all in, I can first hoe and then try to smother them with paper and mulch. I'll go back to the Hosta forum where we were talking about that. I wanted to know the brand name of a trigger sprayer for the person using Roundup, I don't want to use one with a hose, too many weeds to "paint" on them, but if I cover stuff and am very, very careful, I may have to do that. If all I had were this one long bed, it wouldn't be such a big deal, but I've got a lot going here for me. Because of the way I'm planting, I can no longer use my tiller for cultivating. My neighbor loaned me a huge long soaker hose again this year that I had to coil 3 times last year, but I don't know if it's going to work the way I am planting all these things here and there. Last year, it was tomatoes evenly spaced, still I couldn't weed in that mess all summer, tomatoes were big enough by then it didn't matter.

I'm really disappointed, ordered some Bergamot, purple Prairie something, and it came bare root, tried to plant 3 pkgs, 2 packages there were only roots, nothing that looked alive or like a crown, I'm going to have to complain if they don't come up here shortly.

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm