Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
idabean2

Again- new echs that "survive" zone 5

Marie Tulin
10 years ago

Which of the "new " echs have people in zone 5 a and lower had survive and thrive more than two winters?
I know this is a recurring topic, but after being stung a few years ago when I purchased the Sundown- Saul series of echs I won't waste money.field testing crummy plants.
So I'm asking but feel free to provide a link. There are 204 posts Gardenweb search engine. I don't have that kind of time!
I'm especially interested because Santa Rosa is having a very,very good sale and so far the quality of their shipped plants is excellent.

I have Magnus and one of the whites....
Thanks so much
Marie/idabean

Comments (18)

• peony05
    10 years ago

I'm in zone 6. Leilanie and Sunrise did not survive for me. Hot Papaya, Pow Wow Berry, White Swan, Kims Knee High, Sombrero are pretty much healthy this year. The marmalade I have is barely surviving.

This post was edited by peony05 on Thu, Jun 6, 13 at 14:08

• linlily
    10 years ago

Here in zone 6, the only one I've lost was Pink Double Delight. It never made it through it's first winter. I've had these for six years now:
    Sunrise
    Sunset
    Harvest Moon
    Summer Sun

Three Years:
    Tiki Torch

Two years:
    Milkshake
    Powwow Wildberry

One year:
    Colorburst Orange-can't wait to see this one!

All are healthy and some are ready to bloom already. I don't do anything special to over-winter them. They are all mulched and fed occasionally.

Linda

• Freda
    10 years ago

Here in Zone 5 Canada

Those have survived two winters.

Deep Rose Primadonna
    Powwow Wild Berry
    Hot Papaya

I have had Magnus for many years

• eclecticcottage
    10 years ago

Hot Papaya is back for me this year (this will be year #2). Pink Double Delight and Tiki Torch appear to have disappeared. PDD for sure, Tiki Torch 99% sure. There's a Ech NEAR where it was...but I dont' think it's actually where it was so I think it's a self seeded plant. However, since it's nearby, it might be that somehow the tag migrated. Also, and unknown ech in the "sun" series (I think Sunset but it was a lost tag special so I'm not sure) seems to be back. There were a few echs there so I'm not positive on that one yet either.

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    10 years ago

When the hybrids first came out, it seemed to me that they would have more problems with wet winters than cold ones. Given the responses over the years, I have yet to change that opinion.

So the borderline of where they can grow successfully is going to be west vs east instead of south vs north.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    10 years ago

Powwow White survived the winter for me. The only other ones I have are the old iron horses White Swan and Magnus and one Pink Poodle that I adore, although just one clump of that, other clumps of PP have perished.

• gardenweed_z6a
    10 years ago

I'm now in Z6 but was Z5 until last January. My most reliable plants have been the species and 'White Swan.' None of the new echs have survived or thrived in my beds where other perennials have out-performed them + reliably come back year after year. As long as the bees, birds & butterflies are happy with the ones that thrive, I won't waste time, effort or $$ on any of the over-rated 'new' varieties that seem to be pushed at gardeners year after year. I only ever planted them to begin with for the critters...okay, also for the long-lasting flowers, too...but my garden priorities have shifted over the years to only growing what I can plant, forget, enjoy & ignore.

• miclino
    10 years ago

Pow wow pink and white are back along with tiki torch and primadonna white. All for more than one year.

• Marie Tulin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mad gallica, I am sure you are right. However- and this has been said many times before- one has to wonder where the hybrids were field tested before being marketed. Also, I wonder if a hybridizer and growers would withhold a plants from a geographical market where it wasn't successful b/c of different climate /environmental conditions than where it originated.
    On the other hand, if I read a plant "dislikes wet winters" I honestly wouldn't think to describe New England as having "wet winters." I'm not sure if that is a case of ignorance or self-delusion coupled with a plant fool's optimism!
    marie

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    10 years ago

The first group of hybrids (I forget which one that would be) were field tested outside of Chicago. I believe there are garden centers in the East Coast that have stopped selling them because of poor performance.

These are the average monthly precipitation amounts for Boston and Chicago. Jut to give some idea of what the difference is.

Boston -
    Dec 3.78
    Jan 3.36
    Feb 3.25
    Mar 4.32

Chicago
    Dec 2.57
    Jan 2.06
    Feb 1.94
    Mar 2.72

• User
    10 years ago

yep - they have dropped off the radar in the UK because of such dismal performance. I recall when we all got excited over Tomato Soup and Tiki Torch....and not 1 single person in my whole garden society managed to get a repeat.

We just stick with the earliest pinks and whites and so far, they seem to be the best. As for seed raised strains such as Cheyenne Spirit and Magic Rainbows - feh!

• wildflower3
    10 years ago

Coconut Lime and Milkshake bought from Bluestone not only have survived but are magnificent this year. Just now putting in Flamethrower, Green jewel, Secret Joy and Secret Desire hopefully they will be as good. I am in zone 5 or 6 (seems like everyone has a different opinion on zones). If it helps, I am just 20 minutes due east of Columbus Ohio.

• wieslaw59
    10 years ago

Of the " first wave" the only survivors are Razzaammattazz and Coconut Lime. The flowers on the latter one are smaller, less and less visible each year.
    Of the newer ones, 2 winters have been survived by Hot Papaya, Marmalade and Irressistible. I only included those who survived without shrinkage. There are some microscopical things still returning on some others.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    10 years ago

Anything named Flamethrower is all right in my book ---> J. Geils, anyone?

(I know, I know, totally off topic....but it makes me laugh)

• Marie Tulin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here the Boston area the
    Big Sky series isn't seen very often,
    it was all the rage 4 years ago.
    mg: the figures speak for themselves.
    But it is relative: comparing NE to Chicago
    is one thing; compared to rain in Louisiana or
    Washington State (the wet side) NE isn't
    very dry, though we do have "droughts."
    The echs that have lived are coming up very strong
    and fast. I really can't remember what is where,
    surprise me, too!

• Marie Tulin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I meant to write, compared to.....New England isn't very wet.....

• tracey_nj6
    10 years ago

I vowed to never buy any of the new varieties since I've wasted so much money and they're so unreliable. I'll stick to the plain ole purples and whites. The goldfinches thank me every year.

• Nevermore44 - 6a
    10 years ago

Zone 6b

I have more then below, but they are just from last year.. or i forget where they are.. so I will wait until they bloom to verify they are good from the winter.

Tangerine Dream
    Hot Lava
    Coconut Lime
    Flame Thrower
    Hot Papaya
    All that Jazz
    Cotton Candy
    Green Envy
    Green Jewel
    Sunrise
    Summer Sky
    Summer Sun
    Pica Bella
    Pink Poodle
    Tiki Torch
    Raspberry Tart
    Raspberry Truffle
    Double Scoop Raspberry

Here's the ech beds so far this year. The paradox, pallida, and crosses with them are the first to bloom. Only a few of the hybrids have bloomed yet.

{{gwi:236629}}

{{gwi:236630}}

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting