Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
And the award for the ugliest foliage goes to...

Posted by mxk3 z5b/6 MI (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 22, 14 at 13:29

SCABIOSA!

Oh my goodness the foliage of this plant is butt-ugly! I very much like the flowers, though - so I use the old hide the eyesore behind other plants trick. I saw a different variety with deeper, richer-colors flowers than Butterfly Blue and bought them yesterday, hid them behind some lamb's ears -- I'm enjoying the blooms rising up behind the lamb's eye but don't have to look at that mess of foliage.

This area is a little sparse at the moment, I'm waiting for the hibiscus and the butterfly bush and B&B salvia to fill in, but I do like the shot of purple here:

photo IMG_0443_zps9d6c6c42.jpg

Close-up of the weedy foliage:
 photo IMG_0450_zps8e31b187.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: And the award for the ugliest foliage goes to...

It's not as ugly as this.

o

• Posted by mxk3 z5b/6 MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 22, 14 at 13:50

LOL! I'm sure his mama loves him :0)

(that's not your dog, is it?)

o

No, the ugliest foliage is on my alliums.... I hate the foliage as much as I love the flowers... I don't have picture of the foliage, but I will try to make one tomorrow. Sure much uglier than your scabiosa...

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 22, 14 at 22:32

I have a real contender with two Deinanthe bifida. I brought them from my old garden, installed them last Fall in a newly prepared site, back side of a triangular bed that has a path behind. The other plants across the front and in center aren't going to be large enough this year to give them enough protection and shade - think crispy crittered.

o

The purple looks great with the Stachys!

o

I'll probably get my rear end kicked for this but Daylily foliage is ugly and messy looking to my eyes at any time of the year. It has to be right up there among others on the top of the list.

o

TexasRanger10 - daylily foliage may be ugly where you are, which makes me sad for you, but here in the northeast it's an elegant fountain of green throughout the growing season. I can't think of any perennial in my garden that has ugly foliage once it finishes blooming.

Okay, I confess--I don't grow Scabiosa and I stopped growing oriental poppies because they DID have wretched looking foliage once the blooms faded.

o

Don't be sad-- plenty of people love the heck out of them & there's no shortage of them around the city, the foliage looks exactly like all the online photos I've ever seen. Its not a big deal because I really don't think about it too much.

This post was edited by TexasRanger10 on Mon, Jun 23, 14 at 22:41

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here