Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
astilbe flowers drying up, and skeletonized leaves

Posted by lalala 6 (metro Boston) (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 11, 09 at 13:30

I planted two new astilbes last fall, and they came in huge and happy this spring. I don't remember the variety--I think it's supposed to have light pink flowers, and the leaves are darker green with reddish stems. They started putting up some flower stalks a few weeks ago, but today I noticed that the flower stalks have stayed small and most of them are dry and shriveled. Also, one of the plants has some skeletonized leaves (though most of the foliage is still healthy). I don't see any obvious bugs. The other astilbes in my yard are doing fine, putting up plenty of good flower stalks. Any ideas as to what is happening? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: astilbe flowers drying up, and skeletonized leaves

Lack of water? They will crisp up and not bloom if the soil is too dry.

o

It could be water only if these astilbes have greater water requirements than the other varieties--is that possible? The other astilbes (including one other new one of another type) are all in the same bed and are doing fine, and we have an irrigation system so it stays fairly moist.

o

• Posted by ngam z6a ma (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 11, 09 at 15:22

Well you are pretty sure its not lack of water and only a few leaves have been munched on but the rest look healthy. Three weeks ago when these new flower stalks were growing didn't we have a frost warning or near freezing temps for a couple of nights? Could be this variety was more vulnerable to the temp change than the others. If there is no further damage and the rest of the plant seems healthy I would blame the weather. Cut back the dead flower spikes and look for new growth at the crown. The weather this spring has been a little inconsistent to say the least, no wonder some plants don't know if they are coming or going. I hope it is only that and not one of the ever increasing insect problems that have been imported. Good luck to you and your new astilbe.

o

Yes, we did have a frost warning a few weeks ago, and maybe that did it. Now that I think of it, these particular plants did seem a bit more finicky than the other one that I planted last fall--they had a bit of transplant shock and some dried up foliage. So maybe this variety is more delicate and was damaged either by the cold temps or a brief dry spell.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here