Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catherinet11

Did I just buy more invasives??

catherinet
10 years ago

Shoot. I drove 35 miles to a nursery I like, and found "Green Dragon". I have an old fashioned phone that doesn't have internet access, so I called my husband and had him look up "Green Dragon", to make sure it was native to our area. He found several sites that said it was. Unfortunately, I wasn't anywhere near the plant when I called him and didn't give him the scientific name. So I bought 2 for our woodland area and came home.

When I got home I looked up the scientific name of "Pinellia Pedatisecta" and everything I've found said its invasive and from Asia and NOT the Green Dragon that I thought it was. We struggle on a daily basis with invasives on our 35 acres and I'm not going to add another one to it!

The sign the nursery had over these plants said "Related to jack-in-the-pulpit and hardy to zone 6 and great for the woodland garden. I'm in zone 5...........so maybe it wouldn't even survive here, if I did plant it.

I called the nursery and the owner said to bring it back. Great......now I get to spend as much money on gas taking it back, as it cost to buy it. Maybe I'll just burn it. Bummer.

Anyone else have any experience with this plant?
I've learned my lesson......always look up the scientific name and don't go by the signs at the nurseries.
I should have just stayed home and burned the money. :(

Comments (6)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

it probably isnt even worth mailing it back to him ...

give it to an ex-friend you still hate ...

i suggest.. a 50 foot pyre.. just to get all those feeling out of the way .. lol .. i mean really.. you cant just kill the thing.. we have to make a statement.. and show it who is in charge of this garden .....

been there.. done that.. live and learn.. get rid of it ...

ken

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Yes you're right, always go by scientific name. When I google images of green dragon plant, I get a ton of different looking plants, but on the search side, it's all about Arisaema dracontium. Sounds like an easy mistake to make. If you had asked, they may have known it's not native.

According to Denver Botanic Garden, Pinellia pedatisecta is hardy to Z4.

Would you enjoy it in a pot? It may need to be deadheaded if it makes seeds, IDK.

• catherinet
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Ken and pupleinopp.

I did ask the nursery person and she said it wasn't native to my state, but native to the U.S. I've learned my lesson........always look up the scientific name. I guess I need to get one of those fancy phones that can look things up immediately.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Hopefully they were just mistaken, not purposely incorrect. Sorry that happened. Best of luck in future plant hunts!

• gardenweed_z6a
    10 years ago

I moved to where I am 8 years ago and have continued to battle the invasives my parents + their neighbors planted (not knowing they were invasives) 30 years ago. It was a hard lesson after moving here but the rule of thumb I've learned to live by is that anything that goes in the ground must be identified by botanical name before even a hole is dug to plant it. That has stood me in good stead but hasn't eliminated the problems that existed prior to my occupation.

It eases my conscience that I haven't knowingly introduced anything to my little green acre that's considered invasive and that I continue to eradicate things that were, however inadvertently, introduced by the previous generation.

Since you've learned your lesson, albeit the hard way, rather than burn the money, why not burn the suspect plants? Just another lesson learned the hard way. Altho' I haven't personally made that particular garden mistake in the past, I've made plenty of others for which I've either forgiven myself or blissfully forgotten.

Good on you that you checked prior to planting so pat yourself on the back for that if nothing else.

• ademink
    10 years ago

Hi neighbor :) Someone must've hated me b/c they gifted me w/ Pinellia pedatisecta many years ago. I cannot find the fonts to adequately express my hatred for this plant It is EVERYWHERE - it reseeds like the devil. lol SO glad you didn't plant it