Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluebirdpeony

Help! Giant Hosta infringing on my Lilac tree

BlueBirdPeony
10 years ago

Hi everyone. See the picture. The lilac is definitely leaning to the left. I'm wondering if it's due to the hosta or possibly just leaning to get more light. The picture is facing East. I would say that it probably gets 5-6 hours of direct light per day.

Regardless, should I be concerned about the hosta being so close? I do make sure to get water to the lilac underneath the hosta.

Thanks!

Comments (18)

• eclecticcottage
    10 years ago

I guess it's possible that the hosta is getting up under the roots and "tipping it". You can always carefully dig (so as to be careful of the lilac roots) the eyes of the hosta that are making there way over there and plant them elsewhere. Hosta are pretty hardy when it comes to being divided. The new divisions might protest by wilting (mine did alst year when I chose-by accident-a rather hot period to split them during), but they should come back up fine next year at worst. I've also dug entire hostas in mid summer and replanted them without a leaf wilting too. But that's just my opinion/experiance.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

I guess I would be leaving it alone until the fall when both plants are heading into dormancy. The root of that Hosta is definitely in the root zone of the Lilac and hard to imagine being able to remove it without injuring the roots of the Lilac, just as it is going into the hot season. I would definitely move that Hosta away from the Lilac and divide it only if you want another Hosta that size. I'd give it enough room in case it actually got larger in size. I am a cautious person so take that for what it's worth.

Nice lilac tree. Have you ever considered training a clematis into it for bloom in the month of July?

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    10 years ago

The lilac is reaching for the sun. See how much more growth is on the left side than the right? It's growing towards the sun.

Whether or not you want to do anything with the hosta depends on whether or not you want to do anything with the hosta. It isn't part of this problem, so it isn't going to be part of the solution. Moving the lilac to a sunnier location has to be seriously considered, though it isn't going to be an easy move.

• domino123
    10 years ago

Bluebird, I love the hosta that size.

Nice to have more but in terms of random thoughts, I never understood why people believe it's necessary to divide hostas when they get large - unless of course you want more of them or they need to be divided because they are baring in the middle.

I think that's a beautiful specimen, for what its worth.

By chance do you know the name? Blue Angel perhaps?

• BlueBirdPeony
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, everyone! I'm so thankful for this forum!

1) I don't know the name of the hosta, unfortunately.
    2) We have probably a dozen hostas throughout our gardens. This is obviously the bigges-- by far.
    3) It's my husbands favorite plant in our entire garden-- which is saying something because we have a huge variety and some very unique specimens. I think he likes it because it's big. Maybe it's a "manly" thing?
    4) I would be devastated to lose my lilac tree!!! We sit on that patio so often and when it's in bloom it just smells like heaven.

So, my priority is going to be to save the lilac, but I'm torn because my husband loves the hosta. I'm attaching another picture to give you more perspective on the space.

Thanks, again!

• BlueBirdPeony
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a further away view.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

I would expect there would be no problem at all in saving the hosta. If you are trying to preserve the size of it, then moving the whole plant later would work. If you only want to save the plant then a division of 1/3 or 1/2 will do the trick. I've had excellent luck with dividing hostas in the spring just as they are coming up. They seem to be pretty sturdy.

My suggestion to move the entire hosta is just my personal preference of not seeing the whole left side of the plant in the root zone of the lilac tree, not because I thought it was making the lilac lean. I would have no idea about that.

Very pretty combo from that direction!

• BlueBirdPeony
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, prarie. I knew what you meant, no worries!

So what does one do about a tree leaning toward the sun? I guess you can't really help it, right?

Are my options 1) move it, or 2) deal with it leaning?

Will it be ok if we just let it lean?

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

That's a good question. When you have a standard like that, the leaning is more obvious to me than a shrub or a natural tree. I had a standard Hibiscus in a pot that leaned. My eye picks up on anything that is not straight and it bugs me. But I found there wasn't a heck of a lot I could do. I tried turning it as often as I thought of it but it still leaned. I thought to repot it and try to reposition it at that point, but I haven't done it yet.

You don't have those options any way. I don't think there is a structural reason to correct the leaning. I mean I can't see how it will hurt it. Can you figure out the reason it is leaning? Is there a shady side and a sunny side? If so, then I suppose you could try moving it into full sun without anything obstructing it and you would have the opportunity to reposition it when you move it.

I guess it depends on how much the leaning is bothering you and whether you want to go to that trouble in the Fall or the Spring.

One thought....that suggestion about growing a clematis up into the lilac, I wonder if a couple of stems of clematis twining around the trunk up into the canopy would disguise the lean, so you wouldn't notice it as much?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

you might get lynched in the hosta forum for 'dividing' that MATURE hosta.. just for the heck of it ...

i see no impact on the tree or the hosta.. what in the world are these people thinking to divide that glorious hosta?????

all you will do is force that hosta back to a one foot tall and wide hosta??? in 6 to 10 years.. it will grow back ..

ignore both.. find some other project...

the tree is leaning away from the house.. because it was planted 10 feet too close to the house... all trees favor full sun ...

the hosta is not making it lean away ...

as you note.. move the tree .. or ignore it .. or tilt the house.. but leave the hosta alone .. lol ..

ken

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

Ken, that is another way of looking at it. I'm definitely not a hosta expert, but just my little experience in dividing hostas, I divided a Hosta Guacamole two years ago and moved the division to another location. This year they both came up great and the original Hosta actually is larger than it was before I divided it. It also seems more vigorous, is that possible?

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

Put a big hosta on the other side of the tree and you wont notice the lean of the tree.

I was reading the post and wondering when I'd get to Ken's post. He and mad_gallica are correct in that the hosta has nothing to do with the lean. How long has the lilac been there? I ask because there doesn't appear to be a bow in the trunk, meaning the whole tree is leaning. As in, it wasn't staked properly its first year (a tree on a standard usually would require a stake). If it were mine, and it hadn't been there too long, I'd either move the tree or try and straighten it. If the latter, I'd root prune it 3-4 feet from the trunk on the left, soak the ground so thoroughly as to make it nice and soupy and then grab the trunk just above where it emerges from the hosta leaves...and pull to the right and stake it.

Oh, and put the video on YouTube.

tj

• echinaceamaniac
    10 years ago

You could always stake the Lilac to straighten it. I see no problem with the Hosta either. Things don't have to be perfect. It doesn't even look that crooked. My tree rose did the same thing but it doesn't bother me.

• BlueBirdPeony
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ken, I laughed out loud at your post. Then I read it to my husband and laughed out loud again. Thanks.
    My husband is breathing a sigh of relief that he won't have to lose his precious hosta.
    I think the lilac has been there for a good 6-8 years. No longer than that because that part of the house is an addition that wasn't built until then.

Would it still help to stake at this point? How do I stake without hurting husband's precious hosta?

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    10 years ago

I agree with Ken. I wouldn't do a thing to either one. They both look very healthy.

• domino123
    10 years ago

I second the suggestion to plant an identical
    Hosta on the other side, AND perhaps one in front of the
    Tree, but it does well as a singular specimen too

If you do decide to move the Hosta over, I've
    Done it myself with some doozies in my yard by
    Digging so far wide around and under the rootball and literally
    Dragging it a foot or two over. The hosta Hardly knew it was
    Moved, and returned even larger the following
    Year since other plants weren't impeding the growth
    Space. So it is doable if you are very careful.

And it's not a "manly" thing! This girl is in love with that Hosta!

I agree with you about the lilac scent - heavenly!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

Ken, that is another way of looking at it

==>> yes.. i always try to play devils advocate ...

BTW... check out the link .. if you are thinking about moving the hosta ...

i dont know the guy who wrote it up.. but he sometimes has flashes of brilliance.. lol

but do note.. he did NOT divide it ..

really.. there are 3500 named hosta.. if you cant find one to fit a given space .... well .. then you ought to be sentenced to years of hard labor of continually bonsai'ing your hosta.. because that is basically what you are doing.. by repeatedly digging them up .. root pruning ... and stunting their growth

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• Marie Tulin
    10 years ago

I'm so glad you posted that link, Ken. I've read it several times over the years (whenever I think I want to move a big hosta).
    Is there where I read about throwing the hosta onto the driveway to help it when transplanting....or did I hear it somewhere else.?
    I don't need to do that..Without even trying, I will step on it, drop it, and rip its leaves. Shucks, I don't even have throw it or move it 6 inches. That's just its fate if I step in the hosta bed.
    idabean