Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluebirdpeony

UGH Tribulus terrestris (Puncturevine)

BlueBirdPeony
10 years ago

This is the first year that I've seen this. It's taking over EVERYTHING. It's in my beds, growing through mulch, strangling purposefully planted flowers, and now it's appearing throughout my grass. UGH.

Help?

Comments (10)

• User
    10 years ago

ugh indeed- I had never heard of this (and won't be sorry if I continue to remain in ignorance cos it sounds nasty).....although it apparently has some utility in the male body-building biz.......

• BlueBirdPeony
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi, Campanula! Thanks for the sympathy!

We don't like pesticides unless we absolutely can't avoid them. I'm about to cave on this one though. It's pretty rough.

• BlueBirdPeony
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've been doing more research and I'm finding that this is the recommended spray:

Something containing 2,4-D, glyphosate, and dicamba.

Anyone have experience with those ingredients?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

We don't like pesticides unless we absolutely can't avoid them.

==>> pesticides will NOT kill a plant.. those are herbicides ..

i use hundreds of gallons of round up.. glycophosphate per year.. low pressure... used according to labeled instructions.. its a God send .. i have no idea regarding its use on this plant ...

to avoid drift completely.. i put it in a dripper.. cut a plant.. and put one drop on the cut stem ... the dripper is at the link

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• User
    10 years ago

Yeah, 2.4D is a hormone type of weedkiller - basically, the plant goes into overdrive and actually puts out so much distorted top growth that the root system cannot cope. In truth, it can be a bit hit and miss and whilst the top growth will definitely die back, the root might take a couple of attempts and in this case, Bluebird, with a huge taproot, I would also be going down the glyphosate route. If they were growing in a fairly empty area, then hoeing is amazingly effective but in a crowded bed, spot applying generic glyphosate (don't bother with the Roundup brand, it has been off-patent long enough to be able to find cheaper versions). The old sock or (glove of death) would be your best bet.

• BlueBirdPeony
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ken, good point re pesticide. Wasn't thinking.

Campanula, my problem is that it's a vine that surrounds things. So my understanding of round up (and knock offs) is that it has to be spread on the leaves to get down into the roots and be effective. How do I do that when it's winding around desirable plants?

Also, what do I do about my grass? Not because I particularly care about the grass, but to stop seeding and spreading?

Thoughts?

• mzdee
    10 years ago

You might want to try a weed and feed on the lawn. The spray version that attaches to the hose works well.

• User
    10 years ago

You can try to separate the vine by encouraging it to grow up a stake or bamboo cane then wipe herbicide on as much of the foliage as possible (using sock, glove, rag or even paintbrush). You can also put upturned pots, buckets or even black bin bags on or over existing plants as a protection until any applied herbicide is dry, at which point you can remove the protective covers. I treat the rampant bindweed at the allotment in such ways so as to isolate the bindweed from the perennials and shrubs nearby. If you can 'train' the vine up a stake,you should encourage plenty of foliage - the more the better for the most effective uptake of a systemic herbicide such as glyphosate.

• felisar (z5)
    10 years ago

I have a similar problem with bindweed growing among my perennails and through some of my low growing evergreens. This is the solution I came up with to apply Roundup - Tear off a piece of aluminum foil, line it with paper towling, curl the foil around the vine part way,stuff as much of the vine as you can into the packet (I liken it to putting a hotdog in a bun), spray the weedkiller inside the little packet, close it up tightly. In day or so you can remove you little foil packet, making sure the foliage has absorbed the spray and is completely dry.

• aseedisapromise
    10 years ago

My experience with this plant is that it is more prostrate than trainable. It isn't really noticeable until your bike tire goes flat or you step on it. So it sneaked up on you. It is said to be an annual at your temps, so that means it should be easier than bindweed for you. One thing I would do is make sure that it is exposed all winter so that it really is killed. So really focus on and get out all those plants that are going to be protected by your wanted plantings. I would get a good hoe and use it all spring, learning what the baby plants look like so I can get them all out early before they seed. A good hoe and diligence early on is the safest and cheapest remedy.
    I have never had someone using glyphosate near me kill my organic garden, but I have had someone take it out using Trimec which contains 2,4d. It is notorious for drift, so be sure if you use an herbicide you follow directions and read the label and be thoughtful. It is really sad and maybe even frightening to see your peonies turn brown in one day, your tomatoes and squashes all distorted. And Ken, I think plants can be pests. I think herbicides can be pesticides, but not all pesticides are herbicides. You just have to get the pesticide for the job you are trying to do. Read the label even if it is tortuous.