Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rouge21_gw

striking 3 ft tall, water conserving, part sun perennial

We are looking for a hardy pest free perennial around 3 feet to 3.5 feet in height (less than 3 feet in breadth) which is water conserving and can thrive in an aspect of "part sun". As well it needs to be able to do well in clay soil.

For example I think I recall that many of you (everyone?) loves "Baptisia". Would this plant fit the bill?

Comments (16)

• ramazz
    10 years ago

My baptisia are probably taller than 3.5 feet, and continue to spread each year,. They bloom in the spring, then you just have the greenery. This picture is a plant that is about 5-6 years old, grown from seed.

Becky

• karin_mt
    10 years ago

Speaking from a very clay-ey, droughty place, my suggestions would be:

Russian sage
    Taller penstemons like 'Jingle Bells' or Palmer's Penstemon
    Calamagrostis 'Karl Foerster' feather reed grass, or similar
    Maybe a full-size echinacea like 'Rubenstein' (aka Ruby Star) or 'Magnus'

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

UPDATE:

Lots of great suggestions...thank you.

After reading the detailed reviews by the Chicago Botanic Gardens of many varieties Platycodon I am also considering putting in a stand of "Hakone Blue".

It is long flowering with an interesting flower, water conserving and able to perform in less than full sun conditions. And according to this "real world" report they can attain a height of 3 feet or more.

Here is a link that might be useful: comparative study of

• wieslaw59
    10 years ago

"They can attain height of 3 feet"

Or rather length of 3 feet, not height. Most probably they will lay down if THAT high. I had hundreds of them. Not particularly long lived with me, I have no idea why. There are maybe 4-5 left.

This post was edited by wieslaw59 on Fri, Jun 7, 13 at 17:14

Original Author
    10 years ago

Quoting from the Chicago trials document:

Among the taller balloon flowers that remained fairly upright during the bloom period were Platycodon grandiflorus, âÂÂBlaue GlockeâÂÂ, âÂÂDouble BlueâÂÂ, âÂÂFuji BlueâÂÂ, âÂÂFuji PinkâÂÂ, âÂÂFuji WhiteâÂÂ, âÂÂHakone BlueâÂÂ, âÂÂHakone WhiteâÂÂ,
    âÂÂKomachiâÂÂ, and âÂÂPerlmutterschaleâÂÂ

The spot I have in mind will have them somewhat surrounded by other perennials which might lend some support if needed.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for that 'gardenweed' . More and more we learn of perennials that do well with a whack back once or multiple times in the growing season.

So 'gardenweed' what do you think is the maximum desirable height of your "Hakone"?

(It has been my experience that plants requiring lean soil are much more loose and floppy when planted in a rich medium).

• susanzone5 (NY)
    10 years ago

I love goldsturm rudbeckia. It grows in all kinds of conditions here and is gorgeous in bloom and has nice seedheads for the birds.

• gazania_gw
    10 years ago

Look into Nepeta subsissilis. Nicely behaved, 3 to 4 feet tall, does not flop, very long blooming. I have more pictures, but can't get Photobucket to load this morning, so here is a long shot of it in a small bed with salvia. It of course is the tallest lavender.

Original Author
    10 years ago

gazania, an excellent suggestion...thank you.

The only "Nepeta" I have is "Walker's Low" and it does fine in less than full sun. But please tell me "subsessilis" is (much) smaller than WL?

My WL does fine in clay with no extra water and I was assuming that "subsessilis" would be similar but looking on-line it seems to show it being most happy in moist soil.
    What has your experience been re the water needs of your plants?

This post was edited by rouge21 on Sat, Jun 8, 13 at 8:25

• gazania_gw
    10 years ago

My soil is somewhat amended heavy clay. The N. Sub does very well on average rainfall and in hot dry spells also. It is in about 5 hours sun, but I believe it would also do well in less.

• gazania_gw
    10 years ago

Forgot to say that N. Sub does not sprawl like Walkers. It stands very upright. I have 3 plants in that pic above. The base of each plant in 5 years would be at most 18 to 20 inches. The top spreading open maybe to 3 ft.

• gardenweed_z6a
    10 years ago

rouge21 - I like/prefer most of my perennials (other than butterfly bush & baptisia) closer to 2 ft. than 4 ft. since that enhances, rather than detracts, from my property/house aspect & general garden design. Curb appeal is secondary only to feeding the bees, butterflies & hummingbirds but it still weighs heavily in my garden design & execution plans.

I especially like Caryopteris/blue mist shrub for it's fragrant foliage + shortness in addition to blooming very late in the season. The butterflies are generally very fond of it.

I normally whack my platycodon/balloon flower plants back to about 12 inches this time of year so they don't flop later in the season. It hasn't bothered them over the past 8 years so I figure they'll still give me lots of flowers. I've read they have a taproot and can be very long-lived.

I really don't like plants that flop so I tend to whack whatever grows too tall if they'll still bloom following said whacking. They then grow to what I consider an acceptable height of roughly 2 or 2 1/2 feet in height before blooming.

This year, unfortunately, some critter is whacking things back for me--I'm guessing either rabbits, woodchucks or the giant turtle I found in my south bed last week. Though I may grit my teeth, I'm generally resolved to accept + enjoy the garden as it is each year and not regret when things don't follow the plan I had in mind.

Overall I've achieved the curb appeal I envisioned while also attracting pollinators to the garden. What more could I ask for?

• Ispahan Zone6a Chicago
    10 years ago

I mentioned it in another thread, but check out asters for this area. Aster laevis 'Bluebird' and Aster divaricatus are spectacular, easy care, drought tolerant, disease free and hardy. Both provide amazing late summer through fall blooms that will attract pollinators in droves.

• spartangardener
    10 years ago

Phlox paniculata, pink echinacea (standard strain, not a new hybrid), joepye weed (if pinched in early June), helenium, New England aster ( pinched in June), rudbeckia laciniata hortensia (pinched in June).

Original Author
    9 years ago

UPDATE

Because of gazania's posts in this thread I did plant a Nepeta subsissilis in late July last year. It did survive the winter and is growing vigorously this season.

Here it is as of today: