Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aachenelf

Have Japanese beetles become extinct?

aachenelf z5 Mpls
11 years ago

Wishful thinking, I know.

However, I haven't seen a one this year. Since last year was my first experience with these delightful critters, I don't know their schedule and I can't remember when they first appeared. I know it was at rose time, but the first blooming is already done with.

Maybe the 9 inches of rain we had it May drowned 'em all before they emerged?

Kevin

Comments (28)

• echinaceamaniac
    11 years ago

They are all hiding on my Roses. Don't worry. They'll be back.

• gazania_gw
    11 years ago

No, they aren't extinct! I had hopes because through all the digging I have done this spring, I didn't see even one jb larva. However, Yesterday, I spotted an adult jb on my serviceberry tree. I missed the *%&$#%* when I lunged at it. Nothing delights me more than to squish their guts out.

• Carrie B
    11 years ago

The ones that aren't with echinaceamaniac & gazania have all moved to the Philadelphia region.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

plagues come and go.. and this one is gone.. FOR NOW.. lol

i have only seen a handful of GIANTS.. really big ones ..

and since i typed it.. i will hate you for bringing it up.. if they are just late this season.. lol .. and my mentioning it.. brings the plague ...

ken

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    11 years ago

I didn't see any at all last year and haven't seen any so far this year.
    Bad as I hate the beetles I hate the grubs worse- them and the gall-dang moles that come after them.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    11 years ago

I won't see Japanese beetles for a couple of weeks yet. I find that my old-fashioned once-blooming roses are safe from them since they are finished before the J. beetles emerge.

• schoolhouse_gw
    11 years ago

Like nhbabs, I won't see them until July. Last year wasn't a bad year so I'm betting we get mobbed this time.

• gazania_gw
    11 years ago

Don't be surprised if you see them much earlier than normal. Normally I don't see them till very late June, even into the first week of July, but they are already here this week. Hope that means that they will be gone early also.

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

I haven't seen a single one this year. They would be out by now unless they have this magical internal clock that goes by date...which I guess is possible as I'm no expert.

Usually they are out and about in mid to late June. At their high in early July.

In smaller populations they are easy to control because they are so easy to spot, catch and kill!

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

We've been bombarded earlier than usual. TONS of them this year. Oh, I do miss my neighbor 's Purpleleafed Plums, RIP. It was so entertaining to watch all of the JBs in the neighborhood swarming around her two tree's, lol.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's my plan:

I've decided to believe they HAVE become extinct in MN. That way I save myself from all the angst of waiting for them to appear, then getting angry at the damage they do and wondering what to do about them. If I just hold on to the believe they aren't around any more and if I only observe my roses from 30 feet away where flowers appear as blobs of color only, there won't be any problem.

I like it.
    Kevin

• peaceofmind
    11 years ago

I know of people who have had very few this year and others who are swarmed by them. I work at a gardening hotline and I'm hearing very good things about Milky spore. It is expensive and takes a couple of years to take full effect but it really does a good job. I should say that the numbers of beetles are greatly reduced the first year and down to practically nothing in the years thereafter.

• lam702
    11 years ago

Ha! We should be so lucky to have them become extinct! They show up in my yard by the calendar, July 4th every single year. I hate those disgusting things, they not only eat my roses but they love my basil too. Don't worry, if you haven't seen them yet, you will!

• ditas
    11 years ago

GOOD LUCK to all the wishfull thinkers (me included) I toasted myself so badly last season chasing after them into small buckets of soapy sol (grand-dau even helped) TG their fave roses happen to be mine & my grand's as well so we both hounded them seriously ~ grrrr! Last year a few miles south of Des Moines they succeeded to completely undress a tree!

They are back here ~ started tipping them into soapy sol & the shame - I found & few shamelessly coupling in centers of my fave rose blooms ~ grrrrrr!!!

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

I bet most where smoked by the freezes in multiple areas after they had risen from the dead. March was like May and April was like March. There where 15+ freezes in my area during April. Including two in the low 20s...probably did more damage than the JBs would have ever done.

• a2zmom_Z6_NJ
    11 years ago

They are at my house, eating my hollyhocks.

• rusty_blackhaw
    11 years ago

I hadn't seen any here as of yesterday and have been expecting them any time now. Last year's infestation was light and I wouldn't mind a repeat.

But as the Blue Oyster Cult says:

History shows again and again
    How Nature points out the folly of men...
    Oh no...JBs have got to go. Go, go pyrethrin!

Alright, I added the last line.size>

• ditas
    11 years ago

Sorry Kevin ~ I'm not good at pretending!!! &&& neither can I allow x-rated goings on in my unfurling beauties & devouring the petals at the same time ~ leaving them like tattered laces!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: One of my Arch Enemies!

• rusty_blackhaw
    11 years ago

JBs began arriving as of Sunday on some of my roses and have been pyrethrinized.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    11 years ago

ditas - I took a look at the photo and only saw a beautiful, wingless, green butterfly. I'm sure it's just taking a rest on your rose. (Remember, only look at your flowers from 30 feet away)

Eric - I love your use of the English language.

Kevin

• ditas
    11 years ago

Kevin 'wish I can wear your pink colored lenses!!!

Eric - how do you pyrethrinize ~ powder or spray? Some of my beauties are towering over me & can't tip the villains into my usual tool of engagement w/o getting ouched by spines!

I'll be toasty brown & embattled by end of season for sure ~ but pursue I shall!!!

• paul_
    11 years ago

Didn't see more than two or three jbs all last summer nor have I seen any yet this summer. However, I have seen several rose chafers already. They may be this summer's pest of choice.

• rusty_blackhaw
    11 years ago

I use a bottle of pyrethrin (or something like resmethrin if they don't have the basic stuff) with a hose attachment for easy coverage.

Nothing seems to work reliably for more than about 5 days per application, but it's either spray or forget about enjoying my favorite ornamentals (such as roses, cannas and bananas).

• ditas
    11 years ago

Thanks for your input ~ I know exactly what you mean & feel, Eric!

I photographed in stages, following a beautiful cluster of buds from unfurling to this morning ~ practically devoured by these ravenous villains - grrrr! My resolve increases w/ each one that gets away!!!

I'll try your method as some of my bushes are tall & huge ~ thanks again!

• a2zmom_Z6_NJ
    11 years ago

I just killed my first two yesterday. They were lounging on my hollyhock, not too suprisingly. I'm hoping I don't get too many and I can just take care of them via drowning.

• ditas
    11 years ago

I think my rose bushes are acting as bates ~ so they come in droves. The problem is, for every one that gets away will be 20 JBs for next season. They seem to have faves & now I just discovered they love to forage on the young foliage of my Hydrangea petiolaris ~ each young leaf they come to is left like a shear lace. They love my *Sunshine Blaze* rose best I find them piggyback'd as many as five &/or several mating on 1 bloom while eating ~ grrrrr! What infuriates me most is when I see them gnawing at a tiny bud ~ double grrrr!

I should perhaps *Pyrethinize* as Eric eloquently puts it ~ the soapy qt pitcher I collect them in daily easly counts in the hundreds!!!

• grinder12000
    11 years ago

Lots of grubs when digging in Madison - saw my 1st one yesterday! HOWEVER - plagues do come and go so I'm hoping SOME YEAR it will be gone.

BTW - Milky Spore is the key - if everyone use this they would be gone!

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, my neighbor has them on her roses, but I haven't seen any on mine probably because they aren't blooming right now. So far that seems to be the only thing they want to eat. I will keep praying they remain picky eaters.

Kevin