Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nepeta Walker's Low yellow leaves at bottom

Posted by njmomma z6 NJ (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 10, 11 at 14:30

When it gets yellow leaves towards the bottom does it mean too little water? Not very attractive.
thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nepeta Walker's Low yellow leaves at bottom

Mine isn't getting yellow now, but leaves are dying. But I seem to remember it getting yellow last year. I just figured it was due to no sunlight hitting under there. And since it got so big and mounded, I never really saw it. I just could tell from all the leaves dropping off onto the sidewalk.

I just looked under mine and took a couple pics so you could see what mine looks like now & how it looks underneath. Also included one from before it bloomed.

In my case, I keep mine really watered since it's in a raised bed but don't know your soil conditions. I know mine doesn't like to dry out. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Today's pic...

Underneath today...

Before it bloomed...

o

Is it a new plant this year? If so, it's probably because it's not established yet. I planted a new one this year and it looks bad compared to the older plants.

o

it's not new, but I did move it a few weeks ago so it's as if it's new I guess - getting established again.
Thanks for the pics- yours is BIG!

o

I've bought three this year because everyone on here raves about this plant, and on mine the bottom leaves have turned yellow, but I thought that was because they were getting too much water from all of the rain we've been having up until these past two weeks. I see they're getting new growth around the bottom, and since they are catmint, they must be tough, so I've just let them go. Can't wait to see them mature, I have them growing in the back of one of my daylily beds as background filler.

Karen

o

Thx NJ ! It IS big and this is only the 2nd yr. Planted it 'dead' (2009 fall) from what I call 'scratch & dent' nearly dead REALLY CHEAP plants they sell in the fall so last year was it's first growth and it got just as big BEFORE last year so I'm guessing it's going to be out of control end of THIS year. I've already asked questions about it and know that at this size, I should have divided it prior to this spring (considering where it's at) and WILL be doing so whenever appropriate (need to reference advice....lol).

All I know is.....in the right conditions, this sucker takes off and everyone walking by says something about it. I'm not sure if it's a compliment or that they think it's the giant blob....lol.

I think Karen has the right idea...putting it somewhere that it can just expand and be happy. I'm scared to dig into mine, since 1/2 the time when I mess with something happy but too big, it ends up petering out on me and I wish I'd just left it alone.

Sorry for my rambling. We just had a horrific rain storm with massive thunder & lightening (which I LOVE) but it scared the crap out of me and I'm still alllll fired up...lol.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here