Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
njmomma_gw

Nepeta Walker's Low yellow leaves at bottom

njmomma
12 years ago

When it gets yellow leaves towards the bottom does it mean too little water? Not very attractive.

thanks

Comments (6)

• echinaceamaniac
    12 years ago

Is it a new plant this year? If so, it's probably because it's not established yet. I planted a new one this year and it looks bad compared to the older plants.

• njmomma
    Original Author
    12 years ago

it's not new, but I did move it a few weeks ago so it's as if it's new I guess - getting established again.
    Thanks for the pics- yours is BIG!

• tepelus
    12 years ago

I've bought three this year because everyone on here raves about this plant, and on mine the bottom leaves have turned yellow, but I thought that was because they were getting too much water from all of the rain we've been having up until these past two weeks. I see they're getting new growth around the bottom, and since they are catmint, they must be tough, so I've just let them go. Can't wait to see them mature, I have them growing in the back of one of my daylily beds as background filler.

Karen

• brit5467
    12 years ago

Thx NJ ! It IS big and this is only the 2nd yr. Planted it 'dead' (2009 fall) from what I call 'scratch & dent' nearly dead REALLY CHEAP plants they sell in the fall so last year was it's first growth and it got just as big BEFORE last year so I'm guessing it's going to be out of control end of THIS year. I've already asked questions about it and know that at this size, I should have divided it prior to this spring (considering where it's at) and WILL be doing so whenever appropriate (need to reference advice....lol).

All I know is.....in the right conditions, this sucker takes off and everyone walking by says something about it. I'm not sure if it's a compliment or that they think it's the giant blob....lol.

I think Karen has the right idea...putting it somewhere that it can just expand and be happy. I'm scared to dig into mine, since 1/2 the time when I mess with something happy but too big, it ends up petering out on me and I wish I'd just left it alone.

Sorry for my rambling. We just had a horrific rain storm with massive thunder & lightening (which I LOVE) but it scared the crap out of me and I'm still alllll fired up...lol.

• Mary Owens
    last year
    last modified: last year

Hi. I am also having a problem with my nepeta. They are older plants on the hell strip but they do get minimal drip irrigation. Last year, I pulled out quite a few, so that the space wasn't crowded anymore and the remaining plants could breathe and hopefully rejuvenate.

However, this year I am already confronted with leaves turning yellow on a wide scale,. This hasn't happened before. Last year, though, I fought off several infestations in other parts of the garden. Related? I don't know. We are practicing immaculate garden hygiene this year.

The other thing that worries me is that I see the small bottom leaves are being skeletonized. I already know I have slugs, but I didn't think that kind of fine skeletonizing was their thing. More like beetles? Any thoughts?

Sorry to go on.

PS These are small nepeta plants, for the most part.