Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aachenelf

A good year for Siberian Iris?

I don't remember a year when this Siberian Iris bloomed so nicely. Maybe our nice, cool, wet spring or the dash of 10 10 10 fertilizer I gave it this year? I don't normally fertilize, but I found a partial bag of the stuff in the basement and decided to use it up.

This clump isn't very large - maybe 2 feet across. I tend to divide these often because I don't have the room for massive things. Luckily the foliage on this one stays decent even in midsummer.

{{gwi:237993}}

{{gwi:237994}}

'Sparkling Rose' is an older variety registered in 1967. To be honest, I really haven't followed the newer hybrids. I have four clumps of Siberians and all of them are pretty ancient. Kind of like peonies, when they bloom I can't imagine a prettier flower, but once done I forget about them the rest of the year. Are the newer ones better?

Kevin

Comments (9)

• ryseryse_2004
    9 years ago

Yes - mine are especially prolific this year. Maybe the cold winter or cool spring has something to do with it. I just wish the blooms stayed longer but the foliage is lovely all season.

• duluthinbloomz4
    9 years ago

I've got Caesar's Brother and Snow Queen. The dark velvet blue of Caesar's is about my favorite. Not blooming up here yet. I do like that Sparkling Rose - I've got a spot or two for that color.

I give my extra divisions to my brother in Woodbury and they've done real well for him too.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    9 years ago

I have six, 'Dark Desire', 'Dreaming Yellow', Looks Mohrish', 'Super Ego' and 'Seneca Glacier Flow' all outdid themselves this year. 'Contrast in Styles' is new, hoping for blooms next year.

Annette

• User
    9 years ago

some NOID of mine at allotment

• gardenweed_z6a
    9 years ago

Yes it has been a good year for them. I have quite a few clumps of seed-grown plants that are just spectacular. Sorry--can't post pics at the moment. I'm disappointed the blooms don't last longer but they're such a welcome blast of color early in the season, they're well worth growing.

• sara82lee
    9 years ago

I divided mine last year, and I swear this year they are even bigger than they were before I divided them. My back hurts just thinking about it - I really need to dig them up again and give most of it away.

I wonder if the winter had anything to do with this?

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    9 years ago

I started with new plants last fall -- my old ones were very large clumps, I tried to divide but they just didn't look great so I decided to start fresh during the end-of-season blowout sales. They are gorgeous this year! I have Ceasar's Brother, that rich, deep purple is so stately and regal, I just love it!

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    9 years ago

I always thought plants like iris start to set themselves up for blooming the year before, so maybe it was a good summer/autumn for iris last year? Mine are doing ok but I think drought last year gave them a rough time. The old standbys still put on a great show though.
    I would add some of the newer ones but their short season of bloom makes me think twice. Maybe I need to try a couple that are listed as having 4-5 blooms per stalk, that should last longer than all my old 2-3 per stalk bloomers, right?

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I've been Googling images of the ones you guys mentioned - some nice ones there!

It's interesting to hear others are experiencing what I am. Who knows what the reason is. Kato - I guess I always thought the same as you - that the previous seasons growing conditions is a huge indicator of what happens the next year, but for me at least their seems to be something else going on this year. We were under drought conditions last year too. Add to that the terrible heat and it was a pretty miserable growing season.

This year, the garden has never looked better.

Kevin

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County