Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stonecrop / weeds?

Posted by TheHYPO none (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 26, 13 at 15:05

Hi there. I have a question of identification that I'm hoping someone can help me out with. We have a small garden in which we planted two Stonecrop plants (among a couple others). I have generally kept it weed free, although there are a lot of weeks in our area, so it's a very regular practice. We planted around a month ago. We had a lot of rain this week and I went out last night and noticed a large amount of growth around the plants. The thing is that it was just around the two Stonecrop plants, and it's a type that I've not noticed previously.

Before I weed away all of this new stuff, I was hoping someone could confirm that it's not new growth of the Stonecrop plant (which I can't imagine has grown that much so quickly), but rather some kind of weed.

Photo below, the The stonecrop is centre and cutoff at the top and the relevant growth is the multitude of 4-leaf buds coming up. They are different from the "clover" weeds I see in that they are a different shape and a bit reddish/purple like the Stonecrop. If more info or a better picture is needed, I can provide.

Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stonecrop / weeds?

Looks like purslane to me.

o

Agreed, a Portulaca.

o

Which you want to weed out soon, easy to kill when small, I once had larger plants bloom and set seed in the compost pile.

o

I agree it looks like Portulaca. The decision is if you want a succulent garden and if you like the look of portulaca. Most bloom yellow. A weed is a plant you do not want.

o

You can eat it if you let it get big, and weed it endlessly thereafter. I'd give it the side of my trowel.

o

Yep, purslane, we have that all over the place. If it seeds in a shady place, it sorta stays low to the ground, almost creeps. If it's growing in a sunny area, it'll get far more upright. It's very succulent, so when you do pull it up, throw it somewhere it cannot re-root! It pulls pretty easily when the ground is soft and moist, but it'll break off easily when the ground is dry and then you don't get the roots. I'd be cleaning that out of the bed!

o

for me here in MI ... we have basically 3 waves of weeds ...

of which this purslane IS A WEED ...

in march.. we have the perennial weeds.. that wintered over ... pull them out ...

then there is the early crop of annual weeds ... these would be the ones that sprout in warm soil.. and enjoy cool nights ...pull them out ...

and then come the heat of the summer weeds ... that need hot soil to sprout .. and thrive in hot nights.. relatively speaking... so here come the purslanes.. and the crabgrass ... you would swear they double in size.. every warm night ...

to forestall all of them.. and reduce your weeding ... you need a mulch ... most of these things germinate on the soil surface .. and if you cover the surface.. you reduce germination by 90% or so ... also.. you bury the 50 billion dormant seeds on the soil surface ... and finally. the mulch will make it easier to pull out what does grow.. as it will keep the soil more friable.. loose ...

so there you go.. pull them out.. add some mulch ... and you should be well on your way ..

ken

o

I have portulaca seedlings and they don't look like this. I do have that particular weed and I didn't realize it was purslane. Which is actually supposed to be a very nutritious green to eat.

Agree, mulch keeps the weeding down. :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here