Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Like Han Solo in Carbonite

Posted by rouge21 4 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 8, 14 at 15:15

The once in my lifetime ice storm that occurred just pre Christmas 2013 encased our entire Rhodo in a quite thick layer of ice:

photo P1020288_1_zps14b8aff6.jpg

And for much of the rest of the winter this same plant experienced temps from -10 F to -15 F (often for days on end).

By coincidence this was the first winter that I did not provide provide protection (a windbreak of burlap).

Now this shrub is by no means an exemplary example of of a rhodo (far from it) but even with all these hardships it has flowered just fine in 2014.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Like Han Solo in Carbonite

Amazing contrast, Rouge.

From interesting to beautiful.

o

I've kind of come to the conclusion this past winter was hard for people, but that doesn't necessarily translate to a winter tough on plants. My losses were minimal and really nothing out of the ordinary. In fact, the last few weeks I have been amazed at how huge and lush everything is this year. The survivors really didn't seem to suffer that much. In fact, maybe it gave them an incentive to grow like they've never grown before. (I'm sure all the rain has helped, but I don't think it's the only factor at play.)

Kevin

o

Kevin, there is no doubt that significant continuing snow cover helped perennials but this wouldn't have been much help to trees and taller shrubs. I am disappointed to have lost the top half of my Acer palmatum 'Filigree Green Lace'. The bottom branches, all insulated with that snow are lush and green and the unprotected upper branches are barren.

o

I just got your reference to Star Wars, Rouge! One of my favorites. :-) Sorry about your Acer palmatum. I have not grown that type but I thought they were slow growing and the form is of particular interest. So will you be able to salvage it with pruning or do you think it is ruined?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here