Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linda1270

Dividing Catmint 'walkers low'?

LindaMA
14 years ago

I was given a Catmint "walkers low" plant last summer, planted it in my perennial bed and it bloomed for me very nicely for most of the summer. This summer it is huge and crowding out one of my Peonies, Salvia and Autumn Joy, all on different sides of the Catmint.

What is the best time to divide this plant and what is the best way of doing it? I've never divided a plant before, never really had to, guess I over calculated with this one.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice!

Linda

Comments (7)

• john_4b
    14 years ago

Just cut the foliage back if it is crowding its neighbors. To divide it, dig it up, slice the rootball in half or more, and replant the pieces. You could do it early next spring, but if it has to be done this year, you could do it now, and give it time to get re-established before winter returns. Just keep it watered well after planting.

• summerstar
    14 years ago

I just cut back my 'Walkers Low' (LOW?) a little more than half. It won't hurt this plant a bit. Mine already had new growth at the base of the plant. Cutting it back will stimulate that new growth. I cut mine back because they started sprawling too much and the blooms were almost done anyhow. I've grown this plant for several years and it's tough. It will quickly grow back and bloom once more for you this summer. And the bees will thank you for it.

The name of 'Walkers Low' for this Catmint isn't really accurate and needs to grow where it won't lay all over other perenials. However, if you cut it back each year, you may be able to keep it where it is. Each plant you divide will eventually grow as large as those you have now. That's their nature. Divide if you like; it's your call.

The explanation for dividing above sounds right to me. Good luck.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    14 years ago

You can divide your catmint without digging it up, though any division will be much more difficult this time of year than in early spring. Simply force a spade into it and dig out a section.

However, this is a large, sprawling plant, and very handsome when given the room it requires. If it's too big for the spot you have it in, then you have it in the wrong spot. Yes, you do cut it back after the first long bloom and you'll get a smaller bloom later in the summer, but there is no way to keep 'Walkers Low' small. Give it as much room as a peony, and you'll have quite a show.

• shpnquen
    14 years ago

Thanks for asking this question! I planted this last year & THIS year it looks amazing!! I thought I allowed puh-lenty of space for it, but I guess 6 ft. still wasn't enough. At least I know I can cut it back & even divide it, as well. It will fill in the rest of the wall I have it by without much effort.

• WendyB 5A/MA
    14 years ago

Has anyone ever cut it back B4 it bloomed to keep its size in check? (and delay bloom a little bit) I'm sure at this time of year for early blooming things, we don't want to delay any of it.

• LindaMA
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you all for your responses, I was wondering if I could just go around the perimeter and cut it back so it wouldn't crowd out and block the sun from the other perennials.

Thanks again!
    Linda