Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pruning of Salvia?

Posted by rorypa (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 29, 06 at 15:29

Hi,

I have 2 Salvia x sylvestris "Snow Hills Sage" that have bloomed nicely and are not starting to look worn out. How do you prune your salvia? Do you snip each individual stalk or just chop the whole plant down to basal foliage?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pruning of Salvia?

I had the same question when mine needed pruning. My husband ended up using his hedge trimmer to shape it up. Then I took my kid sized rake and gathered up the trimmings. It's been two weeks now and it's doing fine and beginning to regrow and reflower a bit.

o

The way I prune my S. 'May Night' is to prune the spent flower stalk just down the next set of leaves. Most of the stems have another set of small flower buds ready to go. If you look closely you may see them starting.

On some of the stems, the 2nd set of buds already opened, but most of them haven't.

After that 2nd set of flowers has bloomed, then I cut the whole thing down to basal foliage.

I guess it depends on how far along yours has gone.

o

I pretty much do what Wendy does with my May Night. If just the individual stalk is spent, I just cut that back, otherwise I take down the whole stem.

I also grow Salvia reptens which isn't cold hardy where I am and I treat it the same way.

o

Dead heading salvia is pretty tedious. If you take more than just the spent bloom stalk you are giving up some bloom from the 1 or 2 flower stalks forming just below the original. I find that if I'm careful, the plant never really stops blooming.

o

• Posted by susy Zone 5/6 MO. (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 30, 06 at 14:55

My Snow Hill gets pretty floppy after the first bloom so I usually trim it down pretty low. It grows back fast and blooms some more. May Night I usually do each stalk individually as they don't flop as much. I like both of them and with pruning/deadheading they bloom a long time.

o

Ok - I am going out to snip. Might take me until midnight but I will do it.

Thanks!!

o

I just planted in the spring a salvia superba "blue hill". I have no idea how I should prune it (if at all) for winter. I did nothing to it during the spring/summer/fall so it is rather floppy. Live in the Kansas City area. My first time with this plant. Help! Thanks so much

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here