Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_8959062

Texas Flax.....or linum in general

User
10 years ago

In the UK, linum tend to be either blue or white perennials, little yellow rockery flax or the annual red flax. I came across Linum rigidum and L.hudsoniodes, l.viscosum and L.pubersomething and instantly was transported to the unknown world of flax. Who grows any of these? I know, they are mainly just wildflowers (but our UK wildflowers are very sparse because of glaciation)....and one person's weeds (wildlings) are another's treasured garden flowers.

Comments (6)

• gardenweed_z6a
    10 years ago

Even grown from seed via winter sowing, perennial flax behaved like an annual for me and never came back in year two. I grew Linum perenne lewisi (after Merriweather Lewis of the Lewis & Clark expedition) which is native to the U.S. It bloomed the first year and that was the last I saw of it.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah, I only got a couple of years out of L.perenne and L.flavum (but what a great show they put on). I don't mind doing a few seeds every year for something so delightful.

• gardenweed_z6a
    10 years ago

I don't mind doing a few seeds every year for something so delightful.

Neither do I but I definitely resent that empty spot in my flowerbeds that needs filling. It's been my primary garden goal as I've gotten older to plant it, enjoy it, neglect it & forget it. I've got my beds looking the way I envisioned them for the most part and now just want to admire them and show them off to anyone foolish enough to do likewise.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

mmmm, I can definately see the virtue in having a complete garden, gardenweed....but do you never get a bit bored. I know I am a bit shallow here but honestly, I have the attention span of a mosquito - I could never spend a huge amount of money on a rare and beautiful paeony (which will live forever) because I am mean enough to be unable to ditch it....but would also get a bit fed up after a few years. I dunno, I like to grow them, look at them for a bit, then try something else.....but of course, I have been gardening on a postage stamp and after a decade, the allotment is full up too. I am guessing that I will feel quite the opposite once I have a lot more space.....although I am still not going to spend big bucks on any one plant.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    10 years ago

L. perenne reseeds year after year for me. I have to pull the seedlings sometimes if there are too many.

• gardenweed_z6a
    10 years ago

Campanula - So far I haven't had the luxury of becoming bored. Zoning regulations in the town where I live require no less than an acre of property per dwelling. While I don't necessarily pine for a 'postage stamp,' the swath I'm required to maintain is already roughly six times the amount of space I can even dream of singlehandedly caring for and planting. Fortunately I have the help of migrant workers from Guatemala who gladly share the labor and willingly perform the most back-breaking tasks.

Additionally, I can't say any two years running have been repeat performances in my garden thanks to extreme weather events--the October Snowstorm (2011)*, Storm Sandy (2012) & various hurricanes & tornadoes. My sun/shade patterns were altered due to extreme weather which impacted how things grew in the beds I so carefully designed & planted.

* when I was without power/phone/running water for a total of 11 days straight & had to keep my woodstove down in the cellar fired up 24 hrs. a day

Trust me when I say boredom has not been a factor.