Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What To Do With Daffodil Leaves?

Posted by mwieder z5 NE OH (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 17, 09 at 15:47

My perennial beds are interrupted by the daffodil foliage that remains from the spring. I have seen gardens where the leaves are folded over and tied, as well as others where they cut off the top half of the leaves.
What do you do with your daffodil foliage once the summer comes?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What To Do With Daffodil Leaves?

I planted Stell D'Oro daylily in with the daffodils so that when they are done blooming the daylily folage covers up the daffodil folage. There are many color daylilies so you could have much variety.
I have been told it isn't good for the bulb of the daffodil to remove or tie up the folage. This is the time of year that the daffodil regenerates for next year.

Nancy VB

o

The foliage needs to remain in place until it ripens and dies on its own. Through photosynthesis, it renews the energy of the bulb so that it can produce flowers next spring. While many gardeners in an attempt to tidy up their planting areas remove, cut back or tie-up the foliage, it is NOT recommended and can interfer with the bulbs' ability to rebloom.

Your best bet is to plant daffs among later emerging, leafy perennials that will disguise or hide the drying foliage. The Bulbs forum has many threads that discuss this situation, but all bulb foliage must remain in place until it dies back naturally in order to re-energize the bulb.

o

Landscapers do tie it up or cut it off but they also are paid to plant new ones when they kill off the existing ones by this tidy practice that they were also paid to do....

I use hosta, daylilies, hakone grass, fountain grass and hardy geraniums to disguise mine.

o

Peonies and oriental poppies work pretty well, too :-)

o

Mine are well hidden by my Monarda right now.

o

I cut mine down to about 5" this past weekend. The tips were starting to turn yellow. I do this every year and I haven't had a problem with blooms the next year. They've been going strong for 10 Springs now.

Kat

o

Tuck the dying foliage in around the other perennials as they grow up and they will hide the daffodil foliage. This always works for me, and I've had daffodils come back and the clumps multiply for over 20 years.

o

Daffodil foliage is easier to disguise than tulip foliage. I use different methods to hide it. I plant it beside a clump of nepeta so that the spreading nepeta foliage engulfs it. As others have mentioned planting dafs near other perennials like peonies or daylilies will blend with the foliage. Personally I think the foliage looks better naturally than the braided or tied attempts to neaten it up.
Marnie

o

I have to confess I get irritated and impatient with daffodil foliage and I know I'm supposed to keep it but at the first sign of yellow, I snip it right down, the same way Kat does. However, there are some at the back of the yard that I never interfere with, and come to think of it, the clumps are indeed slightly bigger.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here