Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woodyoak

In the front garden this morning.... loooong post!

Pardon the long post - nothing too interesting here; it's been a boring day :-)

The front garden here is the full sun garden where there is more of a focus on flowers. I find it has a much less coherent feel than the shady backyard and it's hard to get decent pictures of it, partly because there is no vantage point to give an overall view of it! The year got off to a disappointing start for this garden because (a) all the flowerbuds were winterkilled on both the Chinese and Japanese wisterias, and (b) the big butterflybush died, removing a tall element from the picture. Peony season is just winding up here at the moment - deadheading definitely needed out there now! The summer clematises are just starting to strut their stuff.

Some (not very good!) pictures and comments:

The front garden - taken from the neighbour-across-the-street's driveway:
{{gwi:239045}}
The right side feels 'empty' without the butterfly bush. A variegated weigelia that was out-competed by the butterflybush will eventually take up some of the space the BB occupied. The haskap shrubs we planted this spring will only get to 4' or so, so they will not add a whole lot of height to the picture.... Here is a similar view of the garden from early last July so you can see where the BB was:
{{gwi:239047}}
We also just did a fairly hard prune on the Chinese wisteria 'tree' - on the far left of the picture - to reduce the height in order to make the top easier to reach with the long-arm pruner, to let more light in to the plants under/near the base, and to, hopefully, prompt a good secondary bloom for late July.

There is always more color and interest going on in the garden than is visible in the pictures from across the road. It is really a garden meant for walking through/to be seen up close.

There is still a fair bit of bare ground where the BB was, so I'm going the have to pay a lot of attention to weeds in that area this year!
{{gwi:239049}}

This is a closer view of the pretty clematis that used to grow into the base of the BB:
{{gwi:239051}}
I didn't expect it would survive both the death of the BB and the excavation of the dead bush! But it appears to be thriving. I have no idea what its name is - there was no tag when we bought it 7-8 years ago. It scrambles rather than climbs. I've just posted the picture on the clematis forum to see if they can identify it for me.

This is another pretty clematis - 'Piilu' - growing into a 'White Moth' hydrangea beside the Chinese wisteria:
{{gwi:239052}}

One odd little thing that happened this year in the narrow 'moat bed' strip along the ditch is that the pinks FINALLY bloomed! I planted them years ago at the narrowest point in that bed. They never quite died out, but never thrived either. I finally gave up on them about two years ago and added some Bressingham heucheras - this year they are both blooming - and the colors are not quite happy together :-)
{{gwi:239054}}

The last of the deep red-pink single peonies are still providing a splash of color along the main path through the arbour. (pardon the mess of bricks on the right - some re-working of the brick edge is underway....)
{{gwi:239056}}

The Persicaria polymorpha at the back, left side of the bed seems to be one of the things that were happy with the cold winter. It is very big this year, sprawling widely, rather than more stiffly upright as it usually is - the recent deluge of rain probably contributed to that too!
{{gwi:239057}}

Rodgersias also seem to have been happy with the winter and recent dose of rain. The flowers on the ones in the front porch bed are huge this year:
{{gwi:239058}}

The little angel roses and culinary sage are saying 'summer' in the bed on the south side of the driveway. As you can see, this bed is also where DH keeps a lot of his bird things (feeders, birdbath....); he uses the car as a 'blind' - sitting it it with the windows down to take pictures!
{{gwi:239059}}

The 'Paprika' rose and ninebark make a good combination at the other end of this bed. I was happy to see that the 'Midnight Marvel' hardy hibiscus that we added to that area is coming back strongly - all the hardy hibiscuses seem very vigorous this year. We grew that one in a pot on the driveway and didn't plant it into the ground until late September so I wasn't sure if it would survive. There are some empty spots in the beds on both sides of the driveway, waiting for Mammoth mums... (Unfortunately the supplier of those to the local garden center I ordered them from is not intending to ship them until late summer.... )
{{gwi:239060}}

Our collection of pots of peas is on the driveway beside this bed:
{{gwi:239061}}
The peas do well in the pots - they are mainly for snacking on :-) Each pot is a different variety, selected to give us a long harvest.

The other side of the driveway also has pots of veggies:
{{gwi:239063}}

The front garden is one of those places that 'will look better next week/month/year'! We like most parts of it but it never quite pleases us as a whole in the way that the backyard does. At this point in our lives we are not likely to make big changes - even if I could figure out what they would be! So we'll keep making 'changes at the margin'....

Comments (12)

• moliep
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I like your veggie pots along the driveway... clever as the heat on the driveway surface must help them. Lovely clematis... mine were hurt this year, maybe by wilt... maybe by winds along our river. Hard to tell. Like you, we now have spaces to fill. Hmmmm.... really admire that 'Piilu' clematis!

Molie

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    9 years ago

Thanks for the tour of you front garden. Always fun! I really do think you have the best Heptacodium anywhere. Do you prune it regularly, or does it just do its thing? Sorry to hear about the wisteria buds. I have one of the native wisterias. It took quite a hit but is still putting out a handful of blooms.
    Sigh......I ordered paprika and they sent me a cherry color. Sent me a replacement.....cherry again. I didn't bother asking for a third try! LOL! My plan was to put them with barberry, and seeing it with you ninebark makes me want to seek out this rose and get that color combo going. That really is a pleasing.
    Beautiful pictures. Thanks for sharing.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    9 years ago

Thanks for the pictures, I always love a good garden tour. The rodgersia sure does have big blooms, I never knew they could be that showy!
    It's impressive that you can leave open spots for your mums, my lack of garden planning always has me tucking stray divisions and seedlings into any spot that looks even remotely empty.
    That rose and nine ark combo really is nice, so many colors go well with that foliage.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    9 years ago

I love that ninebark combo with the yellow flowers. Those rodgersia look great -- is that a full sun area or did you snap the pic during the sunny part of part sun?

• north53 Z2b MB
    9 years ago

"The front garden is one of those places that 'will look better next week/month/year'! We like most parts of it but it never quite pleases us as a whole in the way that the backyard does. At this point in our lives we are not likely to make big changes - even if I could figure out what they would be! So we'll keep making 'changes at the margin'.... "

I can relate to that sentiment. That's pretty much how I feel about my backyard. I can't get it right.

But your front yard looks like an interesting garden to me. I would love to be able to stroll through it. Thanks for the tour.

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    9 years ago

I love your "Polymorpha" 'woody'. They are so nice right now.

• a2zmom_Z6_NJ
    9 years ago

Your Rodgersias are spectacular. The front garden looks like a place I could get lost in for quite a while, taking note of all the plants tucked in.

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    Original Author
    9 years ago

mollie - some of my clematises were damaged by this past winter too. I've actually lost a Sweet Autumn completely - I thought those things were impossible to kill! My C. montana was killed to the ground but is coming back from the roots. Since that one is only marginally hardy here, I do expect that one to suffer after bad winters. The rest seem to have done OK.

thyme - the heptacodium is certainly a favorite of ours too because of it being such a butterfly magnet in September. It's an odd-looking tree here though since it grows against the big old cedar. If you look at the picture from the road, you can see that the tree looks like half a tree! The north side is missing - it can't grow on that side because of the cedar. But, if you look at it through the iron arbour, it fills the back, right side of the bed and looks like a normal tree! That is our main view of it so the odd half-a-tree side view doesn't bother us much. PLUS when the monarch butterflies arrive on migration in the fall, they like to roost in the cedar at night and come out in the morning to feed on the heptacodium flowers. So it works for them too.... I bought the tree as a relatively small shrub 10 or more years ago and pruned off all but one stem. Other than pruning off any winterkilled tips, and any branches hanging too low over the side path, we don't prune it now. This spring I bought a 'Blue Moon' native wisteria for a friend who wanted a wisteria. It had a flowerbud when I bought it. I held onto the plant until the flower bloomed so I could check the scent. Some of the natives have a reputation of being 'stinky', but I can confirm that 'Blue Moon' is pleasant.... If I had room for another wisteria I'd be tempted to try that one to see how it compares in growth - but we really don't need another one! I suspect my 'Paprika' rose now includes some seedlings that are likely crosses with the pink Angel roses at the other end of the bed! The color of the Paprika flowers is highly variable so I suspect there's mixing going on. I also have a 'Peachy Cream' Oso Easy rose between the pink Angels and the Paprika. The Peachy Cream is a much weaker plant though and barely made it through this past winter. The ninebark does make a great foil for brighter plants. There are red and rusty orange daylilies near it too that also look great with it.

kato, mxk3, a2zmom - rodgersias do have lovely flowers but the ones in the porch bed show them off the best - because the flowers arch over the driveway, they don't get lost against other plants as they do elsewhere in the garden. That bed faces east so gets full sun from sunrise to about noon and then is in full shade from the house for the rest of the day. I didn't have a lot of hope that they'd do well there - the soil is unamended clay with generous amounts of builders rubble and foundation drainage gravel mixed in; it is also under the roof overhang so it can get pretty dry under there when we forget to water.... There's only about 12" of space between the base of the porch and the edge of the driveway. Not exactly ideal growing conditions for any plant let alone a rodgersia :-) I've always felt that rodgersias are more adaptable than their 'idea' growing conditions would lead one to believe. These ones are the proof of it!

I'm not usually good at leaving holes in the beds for adding plants later - something usually finds its way into them... - but I do want some of those Mammoth mums and it looks like I need to be patient. I think I know who the wholesale supplier of the mums is for garden center that ordered them for me, so I may call them directly to see if I can talk them in to selling me some early if I go pick them up.

north53 - looking at your zone... what interesting very cold-hardy stuff do you grow? It looks like U of Sask. is producing some very interesting hardy stuff - where do you look for hardy material?

Rouge - Persicaria polymorpha is certainly an interesting plant, one I use in both the front and back gardens. The flowering decreases as the shade increases but I still like them and find them useful. Here is the one in not-too-dense shade in the patio area this morning:
    {{gwi:239065}}
    The Fringetree on the left of it is just starting to bloom and the Cornus kousa 'Milky Way' on the right will be blooming soon.

And this P. polymorpha is in fairly dense shade under the edge of the pine canopy so will only produce a few flowers but I like its shrubby green bulk there:
    {{gwi:239066}}

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    9 years ago

I've actually lost a Sweet Autumn completely - I thought those things were impossible to kill!

Funny you mention this 'woody' as our normally very vigorous SAC must have really taken it on the chin from this hard winter as it is very far behind in terms of growth...it barely survived.

This post was edited by rouge21 on Wed, Jun 25, 14 at 12:05

• bellarosa
    9 years ago

Wish I could see your pics, but nothing is coming up. Can you re-post them?

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    Original Author
    9 years ago

bellarosa - Too many pictures to re-post them all....! Is anyone else having problems seeing them?

• docmom_gw
    9 years ago

I can see them all just fine.

Martha