Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dew101

Are Espoma fertilizers interchangeable?

daleyc
11 years ago

Dear Garden Folk

Let me preface this that my question is probably rather stupid. Why would Espoma carry so many different products without there being a significant change is nutrients but here I go�

I own Rose-Tone 4-3-2.

Flower-tone 3-4-5

tomato-tone 3-4-5

and Garden -tone 3-4-4

Are they different enough to make sure I use the correct named fertilizer or can I swap them out. Are there ingredients that each type specific individual fertilizer has that would make it make sense that I use all 4.

What do ya�all think?

Thanks!

Dale

Comments (5)

• denninmi
    11 years ago

"Are they different enough to make sure I use the correct named fertilizer" - NO

"can I swap them out" - YES

"Are there ingredients that each type specific individual fertilizer has that would make it make sense that I use all 4." -- Not really.

"What do ya�all think?" -- They got you to buy 4 bags of what is basically all the same stuff, didn't they! ;-)

I think its more about marketing than about horticulture when there is SO little difference between the formula from bag to bag.

Sure, there are specific reasons at times to use specialty formula fertilizers, and using the wrong thing at the wrong time OR for an extended period can cause problems -- for example, if you feed tomatoes with a very high N fertilizer such as a turf grass forumla, you will end up with a lot of lush foliage and few tomatoes.

But, for the average person in an average gardening situation who is just fertilizing a time or two or three in the season, an all purpose formula will do the job.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

what he said..

but lets clarify ..

as to the actual food stuff.. the numbers are insignificant to make any difference.. short of applying a ton of any of them.. it basically the same..

the difference MIGHT BE... the other micros ... and i will use the one you dont have .. lol.. HOLLYTONE ... as an example

i would bet a buck its the same fert formula .. but it will have some micro-nutrients to SLIGHTLY adjust pH.. for the acid loving plants ..

the rose one would favor micros for flowering ...

anyway.. that is enough of that nonsense.. basically.. they are all the same..

back to hollytone ... as far as pH adjustment for rhodies.. azalea.. holly.. conifers.. etc.. you should just buy the soil amendment for that.. which is probably a LOT CHEAPER than buying the fert with it.. and adjust your soil.. and go with a generic cheap fert ...

i go to the mill store ... and buy the 50# bag of 12-12-12 ... for 15 bucks.. and that is all i need for about 5 years ... whats your investment so far.. 50$ a year... [use a 5 gallon bucket with a rubber seal.. to store it for decades ...]

dont get sucked into marketing hype ...

ken

• buyorsell888
    11 years ago

Ken is right. Holly-Tone is to acidify the soil for plants who like low ph. If your soil is already low in ph, no reason to use it. I do not know about Holly-Tone but Miracle Gro Acid Fertilizer also has chelated iron to help with iron cholorosis and it is cheaper than buying iron.

Otherwise they are all pretty much the same thing. Just different for marketing purposes.

• DYH
    11 years ago

I use their Plant-Tone for everything.

Cameron

• daleyc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

lol...yikes, i don�t have Plant tone...where did I go wrong :)

it's all pretty much what i thought (re: my 4 fertilizers)...just wanted to hear it from the seasoned gardeners
    Thanks!
    Dale
    ps..bear (sp?) with meâ¦.miracle grow varieties...also hype?