Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melfield_wy

Honeysuckle

melfield_wy
11 years ago

My apologies if this has been covered before... I'm new to perennials. Does anyone know of a honeysuckle variety that hardy down to zones 4 or 5?

Comments (26)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

i am in z5 ...

and i have the old ugly standard.. everywhere ... probably invasive..

and the vine version with white and yellow flowers ... no winter damage at all ... i do not know its name ...

Here is a link that might be useful: LONICERA japonica 'Halliana'

• wieslaw59
    11 years ago

Lonicera periclymenum is supposed to be hardy to zone 4. There are several varieties of it, of which Serotina and Belgica Select are widely available here in Europe, do not know about America though. Some of the clones are very fragrant, but some are less so.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    11 years ago

Around here, Honeysuckle can mean:

a shrub
    a vine
    some of the oldtimers even refer to Columbine as Honeysuckle

Kevin

• melfield_wy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks! What I am looking for is the vining type - that creeps up a trellis like Clematis.

• Marie Tulin
    11 years ago

goldflame. not a tight twiner....needs support but lovely over a stone wall or some other support. Be careful not to plant the invasive one. Here in ma in zone 5a, a conservation property's trees and shrubs have been smothered in the yellow white one, probably japanese honeysuckle]

• Freda
    11 years ago

There are quite a lot of Honeysuckle Vines hardy down to Zone 4 and 5 USDA. I'm Z5 Can and I have no problem growing Goldflame honeysuckle vine. Its starting to bloom now. I also have Coral and Dropmore Scarlet.

• terrene
    11 years ago

Lonicera japonica is the highly invasive vine and is on the Mass Prohibited plant list. It is no doubt the one that's smothering the conservation land. Lonicera sempervirens (aka Coral honeysuckle) is native and much better behaved.

• melfield_wy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So between Goldflame, Coral and Dropmore Scarlet: which is the most fragrant??

Thanks again for all the help!

• steve1young
    11 years ago

I never noticed fragrance from Dropmore Scarlet and I only notice fragrance from Goldflame at night, but it's still very slight. Other people in other climates/zones/garden conditions may have different experiences, though.

Best of luck!

• Freda
    11 years ago

I've never noticed any fragance from either of them.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    11 years ago

Woodbine or European honeysuckle, Lonicera periclymenum, is sold quite widely over here - I doubt you would have difficulty finding a number of mail order sources if local outlets are scarce. It is my favorite of the vining honeysuckles, offering a long season of bloom, often intensely colored or bicolored flowers and a great fragrance.

To my knowledge, this is an extremely well-behaved honeysuckle - I have never heard of any invasive issues (although none exist with any honeysuckle in my area).

None of the native American vining honeysuckles have a fragrance, unfortunately, and those hybrids that have the US natives as part of their parentage also seem to have minimal fragrance as well. That includes Pink Lemonade, Goldflame or any of the other x brownii or x heckrottii cultivars.

Here is a link that might be useful: Brushwood Nursery is an excellent mail order sorce for a wide range of vines

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    11 years ago

The native Lonicera sempervirens has one selection called Major Wheeler. Quite lovely, prolific flowers. No scent though. I think the only ones that have scent are also the ones that are highly invasive in the NE and Midwest (and probably elsewhere, though I haven't any experience living in other parts of the country.)

• ThomasSt
    10 years ago

Question: I need a honeysuckle to cover a 7x12 pergola - to provide shade in south facing position and add scent and interest. I'm thinking Lonicera periclymenum 'serotina'.
    Is one enough? Too much?
    Has anyone grown honeysuckle with clematis for late season interest?
    Many thanks.
    I'm new to Garden web and am thrilled to find you.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    10 years ago

ThomasSt - It usually works best to start your own thread rather than adding onto an old thread. Go down to the bottom of the main forum page and ask your question. You can check off so that responses go to your email.

• squirejohn zone4 VT
    10 years ago

Dropmore scarlet honeysuckle hardy here in zone 4

• mori1
    10 years ago

Wow, I've been growing honeysuckle for over ten years with no problem. I always thought that I had the Japanese kind but after reading this thread and looking at pictures. It seems I might have Pink Lemonade also known as Goldflame or lonicera periclymenum munster. Its beautiful, highly and I mean highly fragrant. The bees love it and so does the hummingbird moth.

This post was edited by mori1 on Tue, Jun 25, 13 at 4:28

• kressnut
    10 years ago

I planted lonicera periclymenum, also know as sweet tea honeysuckle in may of this year. So far it has only grown about 6 to 9 inches. I planted it in a an area that gets sunlight in the later afternoon, but not real hot sun. Shouldn't it grow faster than that. I did give it a light application of 15 30 15 fertilizer 2 or 3 weeks ago which helped a little but not much. any ideas out there?
    Thanks

• v1rt
    10 years ago

I hope you guys can help me. I planted goldflame but I am disappointment about the powdery mildew. It's all over. The fragrance of the flower is heavenly but I have to put my nose close to it to smell it.

I'm thinking of ripping it out and replace it with Serotina. I'm seeing so many different information about it. Some says it can grow 15 ft. Some say it's a compact honeysuckle. I would like to plant it by my 10ft tall pergola. I was planning to have a honeysuckle where the body would be naked and the top would all have the leaves(acts as a shade). What are your thoughts about Serotina? The reason I chose Serotina is because I've read from different sites that it has the strongest heavenly scent and grows tall too.

However, someone also recommended to me arctic beauty kiwi.

• marquest
    10 years ago

Have you considered two vines one for color that would be the Kiwi and one for fragrance a clematis. I love the fragrance of Clematis triternata Rubromarginata and it blooms from June to Aug. and the fragrance is strong. Can be smelled from a distance,

• mori1
    10 years ago

kressnut,

Give it a little more time. When I planted mine many years ago, it took awhile for it to take off. Though I never fertilize mine and in my area we have had strange weather patterns slowing down growth. My plants are a month behind, I mean its August and I have a lily about to bloom.

• kelp
    10 years ago

I've have Lonicera periclymenum 'Serotina", and it is unbelievably fragrant from about 6 at night until 8 or 9 in the morning. I've also have L. sempervirens 'Cedar Lane', which is beautiful, and attracts hummingbirds, but doesn't have a fragrance. Both have been free of pests/disease.

• hummersteve
    9 years ago

Lonicera Sempervirens or coral honeysuckle which is not invasive nor does it have a fragrance but grows well and behaves on a trellis.

• hummersteve
    8 years ago

I would love to find a lonicera sempervirens/coral honeysuckle which is an original wildflower. Not one of the cultivars that can be found in many nurseries and yards today, but one who has been growing this vine for 100 yrs in your grandmothers yard so you know it is not a modern day cultivar.. Im guessing this is not possible now a days. Im also not interested in the trumpet honeysuckle which can grow to 30-40' which I have no space for.

• hummersteve
    8 years ago

Whats attractive to the goose is not necessarily attractive to the gander.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    8 years ago

The common name for Lonicera sempervirens IS trumpet honeysuckle and it does get big, typically listed to 30'+. As this is a US native wildflower, many native plant nurseries carry just the species (no named forms) so it shouldn't be too hard to find.

Hummingbirds are attracted to all flowering vining honeysuckles so unless you are a native plant purist, you might want to consider one of the more compact, showy and fragrant flowering species, like the woodbines (L. periclymenum) or any of the other species or hybrids that are not listed as invasive in your area.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville