Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
funnthesun

What is this plant?

I saw this pic on sunset.com (credit to them for the pic) on an article talking about sea holly, which I have and love. I was wondering what this is that they have pictured growing along with the sea holly. Sure does make a nice contrast! Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (11)

• User
    10 years ago

looks like smoke bush (cotinus) to me - something like 'Grace'.

• manifest
    10 years ago

That looks to me like it might be Euphotbia continifolia.

• buyorsell888
    10 years ago

Purple Smokebush

Cotinus coggygria

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

i once had a generic purple smoke bush.. try to swallow my house ... perhaps 8 feet from the house was too close ...

unless you have the space.. or there are mini/dwarf versions [which might be those named above] .. or you are willing to renovate it ad nauseum ...

be very leary of the size and scope of such ...

ken

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, the smokebushes are wayyyyy too large for this area. I really like the color contrast, though. I need something tall and skinny, like the sea holly that can be planted close so that it intermixes with the sea holly and has this same color of maroon foilage. Any ideas? The skinnier, the better.

Original Author
    10 years ago

What do you think about Persicaria Red Dragon?

• User
    10 years ago

perilla frutescens, atriplex hortensis, even red basil - I use all these when I want that flash of deep red.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, campanula. Looking for a perennial, though, even though I know most of those self-seed, I really want it to be where I put it! This planting needs to be precise to blend with the sapphire blue.

• flora_uk
    10 years ago

It might be worth considering coppicing. It depends how tall you want your burgundy feature plant.

Here is a link that might be useful: Discussion of coppicing Cotinus

• User
    10 years ago

absolutely - you can stool cotinus right back to a stump.....and many do for those really extra large leaves.

although they are shrubs, berberis and physocarpus have good deep tones, as does the delightful cercis 'Forest Pansy - which can also be kept small(ish).

Original Author
    10 years ago

OK, now THAT is intriguing. You never know what plants/shrubs will take hard pruning like that until you are told! So, I could basically "sculpt" it, like I do my elderberry to keep the general shape and size that I want. I'm sure these guys grows faster than an elderberry, but it sounds like it will respond to that to keep it in check. Now to decide on variety. I want the darkest red possible, as close to the color in the pic as possible. I am going to do some research and I'm sure I'll have more questions after I dig a little! Thanks so much!